“Brilliant aviation facility”

Atlantic Airventure
Ranked #1 of 13 things to do in Shannon
More attraction details
Owner description: Atlantic AirVenture is an Aviation Education and Flight Simulation Centre located 3 miles from Shannon Airport.The Centre runs a range of activities and events for budding aviators,ACE Camp runs for June and July and is an ideal introduction to aviation for ages 8-12.The Flight Simulation Centre offers a range of Flight Simulators available on a pre booked basis. Of special interest to those with a passion for the 'heavies' is our B737NG Fixed Base Simulator, this is of the type used to train real pilots. So if you would like to see Ireland with a birds eye view, while in Command of a Jet Airliner, Atlantic AirVenture is not to be missed!
co clare
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Brilliant aviation facility”
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Went to the first week's summer camp and I learnt a lot . Jane and Eddie were very friendly and helped with any questions. Flying the simulators was very exciting, in the BA 146 and 737. In the summer camp we went to the Air Traffic Control tower in Shannon airport and we went to the control center in Ballycasey. I really recommend this to anyone.
Thanks very much Jane and Eddie

Visited December 2012

Shannon, Ireland
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“great for anyone interest in aircraft”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

they have a flight simulator which adults and kids love and some great aircraft and engines. well worth a visit with lots of facts and fun.

Visited August 2013
Dublin. Republic of Ireland.
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Very nice place to spend a birthday present.”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

My two boys gave me a voucher for a flight simulator experience for my birthday. I had to ring up for a booking date and time. So here I was in the centre, greeted at the door and brought into a room upstairs to get briefed about the aircraft they use for the simulation. A Boeing 737-800NG. I was shown a large sheet on a wall showing me the controls and dashboard and overhead elec. panels of the 737. Very important as I am now going to go into the aircraft downstairs. My first tutor accompanies me and I'm introduced to my flight instructor for my time in the Boeing.
This simulator is a cut down 737 as far as the front galley area with a large screen in front of the nose. It is exactly what a 737NG should be in the cockpit area.
I was given further info about the instruments and what the flight was going to be that day. My time in the Sim was to be 1 hour so a quick learning curve. I did a take off from Shannon runway 24, climbed and then we did go arounds and several landings with different parameters ending in a very low cloud landing with decisions to land based on what I could see of the runway, made by me with sweaty palms. I found the whole experience fascinating and pretty exact from what I know about flying. This simulator is as near to an airline one as you can get but it cant compare to a multimillion dollar/euro professional one so you cant get the full professional feel with correct noise, movement and landing jolting etc. For the cost of my day in it, thanks to my boys, I thought it was well worth it, if only for the entertainment value and the education given to me which was invaluable. My instructor was brilliant.
After I finished my wife and I went for a walk around the center as there were loads of exhibits like engines and aircraft. We stayed around enjoying the whole centre in the company of a guy called Sean who was fascinating to listen to as he had been working in aviation in Shannon. He was very educational and entertaining and we learned a lot about aircraft and airports. Time went on and we ended up being there for nearly 3 hours just looking around and talking and hanging out with the staff. They're are all good fun and in the end my wife and I had a great time in Atlantic Airventure. We had now to return home to Dublin but I had memories of that special day, for me and also my wife in Shannon Town near EINN.

Visited November 2013
Dublin, Ireland
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great facility and staff”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We went to Atlantic Airventure as a small group of adults and kids, we knew it would be an interesting couple of hours but little did we know how much fun the experience would be and the depth of quality brought to the experence by the team at Airventure.

The visit began with a very interesting introduction by Jane about how planes fly, the physics and mechanics of flight, combined with a demonstration of these using a flight simulator. The demonstration led into the instructions for using the flight sim - there are multiple booths set up, for pilots and co-pilots, to run a full circuit (in our case, a trip around New York), following a flight path and performing different manouevers including barrel rolls and loop-the-loops. Great fun.

Once everyone had completed their flight, we were brought outside to look at the various airplanes parked on the 'runway' outside. Again this was very interesting, it combined the knowledge we had picked up from earlier with practicalities. There are various types of plane there to look at, they all bring up their own questions.

Then it was back inside to the museum - although small it is absolutely packed with all sorts of airplane parts, information, and also the 737 flight simulator. The 737 is a separate package and usually it would be in use for training, but we got a very quick sneak peek inside and the pilot was more than happy to answer our many questions. The tour guide was very knowledgeable and clearly has a passion for the subject.

Many thanks for a great few hours!

Visited November 2013
littlespitfire, Director of Sales at Atlantic Airventure, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Thanks so much for letting us and everyone else know how much you enjoyed your Aviation Experience with us! We love to hear that what you felt and learned was exciting and also worthwhile education. It really means a lot to us, so thanks again for visiting and we look forward to the next time.
Blue Skies!
Cork, Ireland
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Interesting and passionate subject”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Very interesting museum, kids loved it. They were impressed with the flight simulation. There is a lot to see.

Visited October 2013