“Nice experience (again)”
Review of The Oakwood Hotel

The Oakwood Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Shannon
Reviewed 4 May 2013

I visited the Oakwood for the third time on business with a colleague, arriving on 27th April and checking out on 19th April 2013.

We had stayed before and I called beforehand to request a specific room to stay in, I was assured it was kept for me and a day or so I called again and once again was told it was reserved for me.. on arrival, Bingo! my requested room was ready and waiting. Some may ask why a specific room, well we require WiFi and the WiFi signal in this specific room was excellent., It may well be the same throughout the hotel, but my experience staying in other hotels both in Ireland and abroad, is that WiFi can be hit & miss

WiFi in the Oakwood is free.,

I note some posters writing about the hotel being dull, I do think that this is because of the "old world" decor of the hotel and in my opinion, it adds a great sense of atmosphere to the hotel

Staff were excellent and more than helpful, in particular I must mention the reception staff and the bar staff. It is indeed a pleasure meeting staff who genuinely have a nice way about themselves and care about guests

On my previous stays, I found the food excellent both in the bar and the restaurant, this brings me to the reason why I only gave 4 stars instead of 5....On the Monday night we had dinner in the bar, my meat was burnt.. in fact so burnt, I could not eat it., how a chef missed the black on the lamb is beyond me. My complaint was dealt with in a satisfying manner by the server, I would have no issue with eating in the hotel again, but if it does happen again .. Tripadvisor will see it posted

Breakfast is a buffet style, with a great choice in comfortable surroundings. The bar is a relaxing place to unwind and the traditional music on some nights is excellent, especially as it is played by teenagers who really know how to put out a tune

Would I stay again .. you bet.. in fact I have already booked a stay for a family gathering in July 2013

On a side note, the hotel obviously has connections with nearby Shannon airport, as there are many mnay posters, pictures and paintings of an aviation matter all around the hotel., If you have any interest in matters aeronautical, then the Oakwood Arms will have you reading the walls for hours.

Room Tip: Remember its only a short distance from Shannon airport if you are flying, the Pier 17 restaurant is...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank flame01
FrancesClare_Ireland, Director of Sales at The Oakwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2013

Dear flame01
Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. As always we are thrilled when our guests enjoy their stay with us. We deeply value your relationship with the Oakwood Arms Hotel and are committed to providing our guests with the highest level of service simply because our customers deserve the very best.
I will be sure to share your feedback with the team, so they can see how their attention to detail and great customer service pays off. We look forward to welcoming you on your return visit.
My Kindest Regards

Co.Clare

Reviewed 3 May 2013

Arrived last Friday for a two night stay. A lovely lady checked us in and we headed off in search of our room. To be honest, my first impression was that it was a dull, dreary hotel. However, it was the dark panelling and stained glass which actually gave the hotel a charm which I warmed to.
Our meal in Their Pier 17 restaurant was absolutely delicious. We had room service breakfast which was brilliant and steaming hot. Guinness in the bar was 1st. Class.
This hotel is an excellent base if visiting Bunratty Castle, and Folk Park. Or if a visit to The Cliffs if Moher. Both highly recommended.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Joe B

Dear maud11_12,

Thank you for kindly taking the time to leave such a wonderful review on Trip advisor.
Our philosophy is great service and quality at affordable prices. We delighted when our guest take time out to express their appreciation and I will be sure to share your comments with our team.
We very much appreciate the recommendation and hope to see you in the Oakwood Arms Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 29 April 2013

My sister and i stayed for a two night break at the oakwood hotel. We were very pleased with our room was very spacious and clean. On our first night there was a noise which kept us awake we said it to reception the following morning and it was dealt with immediately by the manager. We were upgraded to the amelia suite which was really lovely. We had dinner on the first night which was very nice and cooked to order found the dining staff very pleasent. Breakfast was a bit of a let down was cooked already but it kept running out so i felt that we were up and down at different times. Very few croissants or pastries so could be just lucky to get some ,no yougarts very basic continential breakfast, orange juice was relly nice though .I think breakfast needs improving. Over all we enjoyed our stay at the oakwood.

Room Tip: Rooms to the back of the hotel are nice and quiet
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Parkcliff,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review. It is a great pleasure to read such kind words about the hotel and the various departments and the staff you encountered.
The Oakwood Arms Hotel had its origins as a family owned run business and I think we just naturally feel like one big, happy family!. It really is the small things that make a difference.

Looking forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed 23 April 2013

Stayed in this Hotel in March 2013 got a groupon voucher for two nights B&B and an evening meal in Pier 17 restaurant.

A very enjoyable stay the staff are lovely. The hotel was much bigger than I expected long corridors etc. a little bit dark for my taste could do with brightening up but clean. The room was very nice and spacious the bathroom could do with a makeover but clean.

Went to the bar on Friday night staff very friendly and I had the nicest cocktails ever Blue Hawaians (I think) and on Saturday night there was a traditional session on a couple of locals mostly young teenagers which I thoroughly enjoyed sorry I didn't bring my concertina (next time maybe),

Not much to do around the area need to take a drive further afield we went to Bunratty Castle for the afternoon on the Saturday would recommend it.

I would recommed a break in this hotel its not the Ritz but then you're not paying Ritz prices.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Parkcliff
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Just back from a weekend staying here and it was brilliant the staff are all very nice and friendly . Rooms were large and clean powerfull showers in the bathroom clean and cosy bedroom with everything you could need. Food was very good from the breakfast each morning and dinner each evening in the large comfortable pier 17 resturant we had a dealrush voucher and it was well worth the trip down. Easy access to the hotel from the motorway . The only complaint I would have was the inconsiderate people each morning at 7.30 walking past the room with kids screaming and shouting at each other so i would advise a room a bit away from reception this was not the hotels fault as we were offered a room close to reception or far away and we picked one close to reception . The bar was large and busy barstaff were friendly and efficient. Lovely cosy chairs and a nice pint and plenty activities close by to pass the day . Bunratty castle is only 5 mins away and well worth the trip . We would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone and we would have no problem staying here again as it was great value even in the resturant they do wine and dine packages food was excellant. Thanks again for a great experience in a wonderful hotel.

Room Tip: Dont get a room close to reception we had inconsiderate people with kids shouting and screaming walk...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank leinster l

Dear leinster l,

We would be delighted to welcome you back on your next trip.

Reviewed 14 April 2013

The hotel was last decorated in the 70's. The only plus is the proximity to SNN Airport. The room did not feel clean, was expensive and it was just a let down. There is a very small shopping center within walking distance. After staying at some fantastic B & Bs and hotels in Ireland, this was a major disappointing way to spend the last day in Ireland. There are not many places to stay near the airport, but I suggest that you find a different hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FD647

Dear FD647,

Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. We deeply value your relationship with the Oakwood Arms Hotel and are committed to providing our guests with the highest level of service simply because our customers deserve the very best.

We really are disappointed when people feel let down with their stay in the hotel. We’re generally better at looking after people and giving good service. We’ve taken everything said on board and will continue to try strive to ensure that our customers receive the very best of Irish hospitality

Reviewed 14 April 2013

We are just back from a two night break deal that included two nights B&B and one dinner. We were greeted by a very friendly lady who checked us in very quickly.
We headed to the room which was way down a corridor. It's a long corridor but I was glad we were at the back of the property so that we don't get many passers by as we have a baby.
We had booked a cot which was delivered as we arrived. I would say cot has seem better days and they might want to invest on new one but did the job perfectly. The room is spacious and clean. the bed was very comfortable with nice fresh sheets. The decor is bait dated but nothing offensive. The bathroom needs a revamp however having said the shower was very powerful but it is not easily controlled. The room has no fridge which I would have liked to see as it is handy for keeping bottles for the baby.
We had dinner in the restaurant Pier 17 and it was very pleasant and the staff made sure we got the table we needed to accommodate the baby. My only complain would be that the cheese bread wasn't fresh and it was stale. However the brown bread was excellent.
We went to the pub and we immediately felt very welcome by Eva who was very attentive and always made sure we were looked after. The beer was fresh and the food was nice as well.
I wouldn't hesitate to go back at the right price as there is plenty to do in Clare not Shannon.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shannon
Park Inn by Radisson Shannon Airport
#1 of 9 in Ennis
Dromoland Castle Hotel
Dromoland Castle Hotel
#1 of 2 in Newmarket-on-Fergus

Been to The Oakwood Hotel? Share your experiences!