“struggling to rate”
Review of The Oakwood Hotel

The Oakwood Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Shannon
Reviewed 28 July 2014

stayed for 2 nights in what was described as the hottest of the year , and our room 238 had an out of control radiator out side in the corridor , not codding you the heat was unbearable , our complaint fell on deaf ears as the cleaner said: its broken a long time, breakfast,,over cooked sausages , dried tomato , mushy scrambled egg , I had the cod for my meal and the mixed veg was cold . to be truthful this hotel needs a major overhaul its old, tired , dark , best only for a over night stay near shannon airport.

Room Tip: avoid 238,236, that end of the hotel

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Oak Wood Arms exudes class. The interior is handsomely decorated with photos and mementos from aviation. The room was well-furnished. The wi-fi worked great. There is no airport shuttle. The taxi ride from Shannon Airport wants a flat fare of €8 - 10. The food served in the restaurant in the hotel was good but somewhat pricey. We saw no alternative restaurants nearby. This hotel is a good choice for visitors using Shannon Airport.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

This hotel is perfectly located for the night before a morning fly-out from Shannon. But if you have enough time to stay at a nearby B&B instead, that would be nicer. The hotel is very shabby and dark. Sink and bathtub didn't drain, smelled like smoke all through the building, and no way to get air into our stuffy room except opening the window. We love fresh air from open windows, so we did this despite being on the ground floor, but the window didn't open very far and we were gasping for air. Had to ask for facecloths as none provided. Towels gray, scratchy and actually had holes in them. Depressing place, but we were on time for our morning flight. Handy to have a petrol station right next door.

1  Thank nejazz
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

I was here recently for a wedding and what a superb place it is. it is slightly old fashioned but I think this adds to the atmosphere. The lobby area is bright and airy with loads of light coming in. I found the staff to be so courteous and friendly. The function room itself is large and also spacious with a nice well stocked bar. The food was delightful and very well presented. great cocktails too. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
FrancesClare_Ireland, Director of Sales at The Oakwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear lucyyeah,
Thank you most sincerely for choosing to stay here in the Oakwood Arms Hotel recently and thank you also for your feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us while attending a wedding. Your positive feedback regarding the staff, excellent location, bedrooms and fantastic food quality is most rewarding for all the team..
I will be sure to share your feedback with the team, so they can see how their attention to detail and great customer service pays off. We look forward to welcoming you on your return visit.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Usually staying at a Shannon Hotel is only for those coming and going to the airport since Shannon doesn't offer much to see there. The closest attraction worth seeing is Bunratty Castle which is about 5-7 miles away. The Oakwood Arms Hotel is competitively priced most days and the rooms are clean and spacious, however, it is due for an update. Their restaurant is not competitively priced and is somewhat expensive, you may want to seek sustenance elsewhere. Do not get their Bed & Breakfast package if you have to fly out early the next morning, you will have left the hotel before they open the restaurant. There are some fast food places nearby, like McDonald's, within a block from the hotel. There are a couple of petrol stations near the Oakwood Arms to fill up your rental before dropping it off at the airport. The drive to the airport is no more than 3-5 minutes away and surprisingly there is no airport noise at the "Arms". We stayed there a couple of time when we were leaving Ireland and were glad we didn't have to drive far to reach the airport since most U.S. Flights leave very early. There are a couple of other hotels in the area, so shop around for the best price. Prices do fluctuate due to seasonal demands. Overall the staff was friendly, however, I sensed some indifference from them.

Room Tip: I can't wait to go back to Ireland! And I will continue to go through Shannon since Dublin is b...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank yooGoGirl3

Dear yooGoGirl3
Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. As always we are thrilled when our guests enjoy their stay with us. We deeply value your relationship with the Oakwood Arms Hotel and are committed to providing our guests with the highest level of service simply because our customers deserve the very best.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed recently at this Hotel, would have been better off not too.
Dowdy, dark & depressing, could do with a complete overhaul including some off the staff.
Room was well worn
Outside going up the runway at 300 mph not much else to see or do in Shannon.

Room Tip: Go else where !
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear BPH_68

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us here at The Oakwood Arms Hotel. I am sorry that on this occasion that you felt let down and that we did not live up to our usually high standards. I would very much appreciate if you would kindly contact me at the following email sales@oakwoodarms.com to discuss your stay in detail.

Co. Clare

Reviewed 14 July 2014

my husband & I stayed at this hotel on 12th & 13th July.After reading some of the reviews I didn't quite know what to expect, Yes it is dark ,but I prefer to say it is old & quirky .The pub within the hotel was a real bonus & was typically your Irish pub & they served an array of lovely fresh food daily & every evening. The dining room was lovely & served a brill full Irish Breakfast with everything being plentiful & again a fantastic evening menu. we had the best steak ever .The rooms are clean & spacious but I would suggest taking your own toiletries. The staff where warm & friendly & very helpful. I would without a doubt go back to this hotel....

Room Tip: we liked the ground floor.
1  Thank Julie J

Dear Julie J,

Thank you most sincerely for choosing to stay here in the Oakwood Arms Hotel recently and thank you also for your feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us. Your positive feedback regarding the staff, excellent location, bedrooms and fantastic food quality is most rewarding for all the team..

Tel. 061 719 236

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shannon
Park Inn by Radisson Shannon Airport
10 mi away
Old Ground Hotel
Old Ground Hotel
#1 of 9 in Ennis

Been to The Oakwood Hotel? Share your experiences!