“Avoid at all Costs”
Review of The Oakwood Hotel

The Oakwood Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Shannon
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Only good thing: it was close to the airport. Horrible room: mold and peeling paint in bathroom, door didn't lock, stained carpet and sheets, gray towels that were probably supposed to be white. Breakfast buffet was awful. Left for the airport early so I could get out of there. I should have stayed at the Bunratty Manor Hotel (I think that's the name) where I stayed last time. That was a very nice hotel and just a little farther from the airport. Consider this a "last resort" option.

Room Tip: My tip: find a different hotel. I was on the ground floor; lots of traffic noise.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Kitty43017

Reviewed 23 August 2014

I must wonder who wrote good reviews on this place. We were tripled into two rooms ( six in our family ). Hotel claimed they were fully booked - but, I was in the lobby at 5 am when two parties arrived with no reservations and were given rooms.
The bathrooms were moldy and the towels were very used and hard. One towel was full of holes!
The room consisted of a queen and a single bed. Queen was five inches away from the wall on one side making it very difficult for the person using that side to get up when necessary.
Being close to the airport gives them a great advantage when it comes to bookings - but, I will never book there again.
The night desk fellow was very kind to me. I had a terrible cold and no voice. He volunteered to make me hot tea with lemon, cloves and honey. It helped as much as it could! He was also kind to the two parties who came in at 4am due to problems with their airline.
The public areas are quite attractive. But, I did notice a mildew odor in the halls to the sleeping rooms.

Room Tip: go to another hotel
1  Thank MaggyRobinson
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with my partner last week for two nights. The staff were so friendly and helpful! The hotel room was basic but clean. Beds changed everyday with clean towels. Plenty of channels on the tv. Free wifi.
Breakfast was all you could eat buffet style. Yummy.
Had dinner in the restaurant, goats cheese for starter. Beautiful. Rack of lamp was tasty.
I would certainly stay here again!!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This is a great spot if you want to be near the airport. The hotel was lovely, and our rooms were clean and comfortable. The beds and pillows were comfortable, as well. I would have liked a little more light in the rooms, though, as they were rather dark. We didn't find the staff to be overly friendly, but they were efficient and helpful when we needed to get a cot for one of our kids. The buffet breakfast was what we expected and was perfectly adequate.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
FrancesClare_Ireland, Director of Sales at The Oakwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear LSC5,
Thank you for the lovely review you posted following your recent weekend stay with us at the Oakwood Arms Hotel. I’m delighted you enjoyed the hotel and that you thought that your two night stay was great value. We are a family owned and family managed hotel and at all time we aspire to ensure that all guests experience a warm, friendly and professional atmosphere throughout. I’m glad to hear that this was the case for you.
I very much look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Co.Clare

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stayed here one night in early July, 2014. The staff at reception was very friendly and accomodating. A bit of a stroll to our rooms, and no lift to the 2nd floor. Our rooms were clean and comfortable, but no air conditioning on one of the few days it was needed in Ireland. Our room was set into an alcove, and even with the window wide open, we couldn't get a breeze to come in.

Wi-fi worked fine in the room. No airplane noise to speak of, even though the hotel is 1/4 mile from the approach end of Shannon airport. We were lucky enough to get a smoking room.

The pub had good food for dinner, standard airport hotel menu selections, but large portions. Breakfast was adequate, typical Irish hotel breakfast selections. The bread toaster was on the fritz that morning, only making burnt toast.

Only negative is the placement of the toilet paper holder in the bathroom. If you're sitting on the throne, you need 6 ft. long arms to reach the loo paper on the opposite wall. Also, the bathtub had a "unique" shower control that took a few minutes to figure out.

Overall, I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear foxxydrummer,
It's wonderful to hear that you will definitely be back to us again. We are always delighted to see happy returning customers at the Oakwood Arms Hotel. Would you be so kind to email me your room number, so that we can look at the bathroom and relocate the holder. It's great to know you had such a nice stay with us .Thank you for all of your compliments and for sharing this review.
I very much look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Co. Clare

Reviewed 16 August 2014

I pre-booked this months ago for a recent stay. We really wanted to be close to Bunratty Castle as we had booked tickets to the dinner they put on and the hotel right in Bunratty had no openings.

They charged my card a nominal fee at the time of booking - Overall, the cost was minimal for the room.

Yes, the decor is dark- but I found it atmospheric if that's even a word :-) I was not put off by any of it and was pleasantly surprised at the extent of the property. There are cute castle like benches throughout the hallways etc.

I will say, our room was quite a haul from the front entrance - down hallways, through conference areas, up an elevator etc. Initially it was hard for us to find - Husband tried to park car closer to exit by our room but was not able to gain access to the inside so ended up going back to the front of the hotel. If I had mobility issues I would not have been pleased.

The room itself was fine- we had wide windows that opened up pretty much completely. The carpet was a bit worn - the bed fine -

We had front desk staff call us a taxi to take to the Bunratty Castle Dinner which they arranged promptly -took 5 minutes - and 10 euro one way. We asked the driver how to arrange a return trip and he handed us a business card which we presented at Durty Nellies later on and they called a return taxi for us.

We got back to the hotel after the dinner etc. and ventured into the bar area to have a pin.t We were fortunate to find a local elderly native having a pint himself. He shared a bit of his life with us and bought us a pint before he left which added to the whole experience. I still cannot believe that the gentleman worked for an airline but had never taken advantage of the flight deals his job provided :-)

Breakfast the next day was adequate - Large chafing dishes carrying the typical Irish breakfast fare from the black pudding, to eggs, sausages, bacon etc.

I'd definitely stay here again - as mentioned, the price was not a bad deal - and probably one of the cheaper hotels we booked for the trip. I think it would be quite handy for anyone flying in or out of Shannon airport as it's right there.

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues, you do not want to be in the back of the hotel. We had quite a traipse...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Kelly F
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences following your recent stay with us here at The Oakwood Arms Hotel. It’s part of the hotels policy to read our reviews closely and use them for both employee recognition and to ensure that you our clients are receiving the highest level of service. I will be sure to share your feedback with the team, so they can see how their attention to detail and great customer service pays off.

Co.Clare

Reviewed 15 August 2014

We stay for holidays with children. Ladies in recepción and in restaurant are Lovely. I Will go back! Rooms are quite nice, and dinner really good. Coles to Bunratty castle, an ideal place to spend a day with children!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shannon
Park Inn by Radisson Shannon Airport
10 mi away
Old Ground Hotel
Old Ground Hotel
#1 of 9 in Ennis

Been to The Oakwood Hotel? Share your experiences!