“Nice Place close to the town and the airport”
Review of The Oakwood Hotel

The Oakwood Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Shannon
Reviewed 27 August 2014

The Oakwood Arms is clean and comfortable. Pretty quiet. Good bar with food. Staff is excellent. Could use an update but the rates are reasonable. I think some rooms are air conditioned. Mine wasn't but it would have been nice.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for The Oakwood Hotel

Reviewed 26 August 2014

We stayed here for a weekend and it was great, the beds are very comfortable and the rooms are good size, the shower was good, the food was good we had 2 nights b/b 1 evening meal and we would be hard pressed to find a fault with this hotel,yes there are small things that could be done to improve the hotel but you would have to be really picky to complain about trivial things, we would go back.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2014

What can I say a great hotel. From the minute we arrived until we left we were treated with exceptional courtesy by friendly efficient staff. This was a short two night break with dinner on one night in the Pier 17 restaurant bought as a present for my wife and I by my daughter and partner.
On arrival as we were checking in the lady on reception noticed I had to walk with the aid of two sticks. She right away suggested a change of room closer to reception and facilities, the room was lovely it was more like a small suite with a separate seating area from the bedroom and it was a wet room instead of a normal bathroom. The decor was pleasant and the room was spotless. We had WiFi in the room along with a number of channels on the TV. We had bar food the first night and it was served by a smiling friendly barman and it was delicious I only had cheese and onion sandwiches but in many hotels this comprises of cheese slices with very little onion. Breakfast was buffet style and was first rate with a great selection to choose from. Our dinner as with all the other food was delicious. The staff in the bar, at breakfast and dinner along with anywhere we had we had dealings with them were great everything was done with a smile, efficiently and with a friendliness that is to often missing nowadays.
We really enjoyed our stay and are already looking at dates to return to this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is very dated ,rooms tired and in need of some tlc ,grout missing and dirty surrounding the bath,carpet stained,could not see through windows (def in need of a clean )breakfast only ok ,nothing to do in shannon if you are looking for ways of entertaining the kiddies ,the only thing this hotel has going for it is the proximity to airport ,overall would not stay in this hotel again

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Only good thing: it was close to the airport. Horrible room: mold and peeling paint in bathroom, door didn't lock, stained carpet and sheets, gray towels that were probably supposed to be white. Breakfast buffet was awful. Left for the airport early so I could get out of there. I should have stayed at the Bunratty Manor Hotel (I think that's the name) where I stayed last time. That was a very nice hotel and just a little farther from the airport. Consider this a "last resort" option.

Room Tip: My tip: find a different hotel. I was on the ground floor; lots of traffic noise.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Kitty43017
Reviewed 23 August 2014

I must wonder who wrote good reviews on this place. We were tripled into two rooms ( six in our family ). Hotel claimed they were fully booked - but, I was in the lobby at 5 am when two parties arrived with no reservations and were given rooms.
The bathrooms were moldy and the towels were very used and hard. One towel was full of holes!
The room consisted of a queen and a single bed. Queen was five inches away from the wall on one side making it very difficult for the person using that side to get up when necessary.
Being close to the airport gives them a great advantage when it comes to bookings - but, I will never book there again.
The night desk fellow was very kind to me. I had a terrible cold and no voice. He volunteered to make me hot tea with lemon, cloves and honey. It helped as much as it could! He was also kind to the two parties who came in at 4am due to problems with their airline.
The public areas are quite attractive. But, I did notice a mildew odor in the halls to the sleeping rooms.

Room Tip: go to another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MaggyRobinson
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with my partner last week for two nights. The staff were so friendly and helpful! The hotel room was basic but clean. Beds changed everyday with clean towels. Plenty of channels on the tv. Free wifi.
Breakfast was all you could eat buffet style. Yummy.
Had dinner in the restaurant, goats cheese for starter. Beautiful. Rack of lamp was tasty.
I would certainly stay here again!!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shannon
Park Inn by Radisson Shannon Airport
Bunratty Manor Hotel
Bunratty Manor Hotel
#1 of 2 in Bunratty
Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Limerick

Been to The Oakwood Hotel? Share your experiences!