“A very good business hotel”
Review of The Oakwood Hotel

The Oakwood Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Shannon
Reviewed 19 February 2010

I switched from my usual hotel (it’s gone out of business) to this place, and it has worked out very well for me. It's centrally located within Shannon Town, close to the business centre and industrial estates and only 5 mins drive to the airport, yet there is surprisingly little noise. My laptop (my constant companionJ) worked fine in my room and there was wifi access throughout the hotel. My room was spacious and clean, with all the mod-cons and the halls are full of interesting aircraft memorabilia. There's a quiet business lounge and good workout facilities. You have to phone in advance to get the sauna / steam room operational which I thought a bit annoying at first but reception advised me that it was hotel policy to be as energy efficient as possible when I queried it. Can't argue with that I suppose! Breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice including the healthy option. The bar was comfortable and used by locals, which is always a sign of a good pint. The pub grub was very good and the staff were helpful and efficient. Reception was a delight, very quick and hassle free. I will certainly use this hotel as my base for my frequent business trips to the mid-west of Ireland.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank Harry_Lincoln

Reviewed 17 February 2010

This is a good hotel to finish a holiday in Ireland . It’s close to the cliffs of Moher and a couple of miles from Bunratty Castle and Folk Park . Great bar food and breakfast and the rooms were clean with all the usual modern facilities; huge television!! We were at Shannon airport in a few minutes the next morning.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jessie10
Reviewed 5 October 2009

We stayed here on short notice when our reserved hotel in Limerick was unsatisfactory. Very friendly and helpful reception staff. Pub wonderful food and service and big screen TV showing sports or movies. The halls are lined with airline memorabilia. Rooms quaint with separate hot and cold faucets in the bathroom and radiators. We used the radiators to dry clothes we washed by hand. It was 60 degrees at night so no air conditioning was not an issue. The beds were small regular size twin and full and mattresses desperately needed replacing, but we were so tired we slept soundly. Internet worked great and was only 3 euros daily. Next door is a McDonalds and gas/convenience store, and one block away is a small mall. Located at gateway to Shannon airport.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SavvyGAMom
Reviewed 16 September 2009

We pulled up outside the hotel and was very impressed Hotel very clean bedrooms were great however we arrived in the evening after our flight was delayed, we went to the bar for a drink and asked for a snack . It was a great effort for the staff to make us a very costly sandwich. Breakfast was plentiful but is left in hotplates which are not very hot.
Would return again if the staff were more interested in the customers ,however it was good value for money.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2009

Having missed our flight due to motorway delays we had phoned ahead to explain our late arrival and were told just to ring the bell when we got there as there was 24 hour desk. We arrived at 1.40 am having driven from Dublin and spent some time locating the hotel. We eventually got let in and having been given our key were just told to walk down a corridor and take the lift. The place is like a maze when you first arrive. We spent 20 minutes roaming the corridors, unable to find the lift, the way back to reception or our room - which eventually proved to be on a different corridor to its preceding numbered room! It's quite funny to look back on but at the time we felt we could have appreciated a bit more help.

However, that was the downside. Once we found the room we were pleased. It was spacious, clean, comfortable as was the bathroom. We came to love the maze of corridors with its interesting artwork, wonderful furniture and items of historical interest. The daytime reception staff were really pleasant and helpful. The breakfasts were wonderful. The minute we sat down we had tea and toast put on the table by very friendly staff. My partner had a cooked breakfast but I really enjoyed the variety of fruit, cereals and pastries!

We had hired a car and so travelled each day to interesting places. We ate in the bar restaurant the first night and the meal was very good but the second night after we had waited 15 minutes without even being given a menu we left and went to a nearby pub where we got live music with our meal. I went to the Fitness Centre once and found it quite adequate for excercise.

We really enjoyed our stay here. It is one of the most interesting places I have stayed with friendly staff, great breakfasts and a comfortable room, convenient for visiting many areas as long as you have use of a car.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Petalle
Reviewed 23 June 2009

The hotel is very conveniently located to Shannon Airport for early morning flights. While the room appeared clean, there was mold in the bathroom from a leaking shower without proper shower enclosure. The room was very dark and dingy. An update is essential. The carpet was old, dark and worn. The bed was uncomfortable and I did not dare touch the bedspread.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank yellow1NewJersey
Reviewed 8 June 2009

Hotel is right near the airport, about a 5 minute drive. There was no airplane noise at all, which was great. The hotel is larger than it looked on the outside, and it is very tastefully decorated.
All employees that I encountered were very nice and more than willing to offer assistance with anything. Check in was very quick and simple, and the lady at the desk gave me a full rundown of the restaurant times. It's nice that continental breakfast starts at 5am, since many people stay here for departure the next morning. So, if you have an early flight you will still be able to eat. Breakfast is included in the price.
The room was very clean and spacious. The bed was very comfortable. I had a little trouble understanding how to use the heating system, and they brought me a space heater right away which was perfect--I actually preferred that because it's quiet and easily adjustable.
Breakfast the next morning was good, a variety of juices, coffee, breads, yogurts. They also offered a hot breakfast. You also had the option of having the cooked breakfast or continental breakfast for room service in the morning if you wanted to eat in your room.
Overall I had an excellent stay and would stay here again! Highly recommend!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank JLCireland09
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shannon
Park Inn by Radisson Shannon Airport
#1 of 9 in Ennis
Dromoland Castle Hotel
Dromoland Castle Hotel
#1 of 2 in Newmarket-on-Fergus

Been to The Oakwood Hotel? Share your experiences!