“Convenience vs luxury”

Park Inn by Radisson Shannon Airport
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Shannon
Reviewed 31 October 2009

We had left the last 2 nights of our trip to Ireland unplanned so we had some flexibility in our itinerary. Before we left the U.S., we read reviews of this hotel on Tripadvisor and were not impressed. We weren't impressed with other reviews of nearby hotels either. We decided last minute to book it the night before we left Ireland because of the convenience to the airport.
Per the advice of another Tripadvisor reviewer we specifically asked for a renovated room. The receptionist could not guarantee that we would get one. We booked it anyway. We then called back to clarify that if the room was not acceptable, we expected to be able to refuse it without our credit card being charged. We informed the booking person of the bad reviews we had read on Tripadvisor, and she said she was aware of these. No apologies or explanations. She agreed in the end that if we arrived within the specified time and did not want the room we would not be charged.
The place is old and run down, however, our room was clean. The sheets, towels, and floors were clean which was a big relief. Since we had read some awful reviews, this was our most pressing concern.
The curtain liner with the drapes had a burn hole through it from a cigarette, the radiator was old but working and provided plenty of heat (note, you may have to turn this on yourself). Bath is very small but fine for one night. Shower worked great, plenty of hot water. This was a renovated room. (We had asked again when we checked in).
The bar was cozy and had a roaring fire going in the giant fireplace. It felt kind of like a lodge which was nice. Food was overpriced and fair, not bad, not great. This was the nicest room in the hotel.
We had stayed in B&B's in Kenmare and Dingle that were wonderful (see my reviews for Sallyport House and Castlewood House) so this place is quite a step down and should be priced accordingly but isn't.
It's the convenience that made it worth it for us. It was nice to be able to turn the rental car in the night before and have the agency drive us back to our hotel. We could unwind, have some dinner and a final Guinness before heading back to the U.S. knowing that we did not have to get up early. The airport is literally in the parking lot adjacent to the hotel so it's just a matter of walking less than 5 minutes to the terminal after checking out.
There is an elevator so I don't know why some reviewers say there isn't one. After check in, if you walk PAST the stairway, it's there on your left. Parking is free for the first 20 minutes. That's enough time to check in, dump your bags and get your rental car back without having to pay.
So, it depends on what you're willing to pay for convenience and what time of year you plan your trip . For us it was worth it. I would advise asking for a renovated room when booking and having a backup hotel in case you can't get one. Thanks to the Tripadvisor reviewer earlier that suggested this.
Since we went in low season, I'm sure it was easy for us to get a renovated room. I don't know how this would be in the summer. Being optimistic, I imagine that the goal would be that at some point all the rooms will be renovated. We did not ask what percentage of rooms were so impossible to predict what is available.

Reviewed 29 October 2009

Stayed in this hotel for a few hours....thank god it wasnt any longer.....absolutely worst hotel ever. Booked in at 22.50 and when we asked if food was being served we were told yes in the bar until 11.00!..Went along there to be told sandwiches only...fair enough in any other establishment but an airport hotel??...While they were making the sandwiches we were asked to leave the bar and sit across the way in the "reading room" where the wind was whistling in (literally) into the cold room..Then on to bed in the cold, cold room. Thankfully we were departing early in the morning, an experience never to be repeated. Even that it was cheap...€100 for the room and very near the airport do yourself a favour and stay in Limerick 15 mins from the airport

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 October 2009

I'm very well traveled (hundreds of reviews on this site), and I've never given any hotel or restaurant 1 Dot before, but this one tempted me. I got stuck here when our plane made an emergency landing in Shannon on our way from Zurich to the U.S., and this is where they put the business class passengers. Although I obviously didn't have to pay, I heard some guy checking in, and he was paying 110 Euros a night!! If this is what 110 Euros buys you in Ireland, I think I'll stick with seeing it by cruise ship.
To get to my room I had to drag my suitcase up 1 1/2 flights--no elevator. The room looked like a time warp from the 60s. Furniture was old and scratched. Old-style radiators from the early 20th century. The windows probably had never been cleaned. They had lights shining in the windows at night for reasons which I couldn't guess. The bathroom sink had a separate hot and cold water faucet, so that you couldn't get warm water. I haven't seen that in decades. And 15 Euro for wireless internet? Maybe I see that at deluxe hotels on the European mainland. I looked up the nearest Park Inn to my house (Milpitas, Calif--a one star facility according to US ratings), and it offers free internet, so the story about charging for internet being a company policy is what I believe the Irish would call "malarkey."
I do have to given them credit for clean sheets, clean towels, and a comfortable mattress, so I didn't give them 1 Dot . I will also give credit for a fairly large room, although it was fairly barren of artwork or any niceties. I hope I do enough research before traveling to never have paid so much for so little. Yes, it is across the street from the airport. What an awful excuse, though, for charging so much yet doing nothing to keep the place looking decent.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank lebelgo
Reviewed 22 October 2009

If you are finishing up your vacation in Ireland and flying out of Shannon early the next day, this hotel is a good option as you can walk to the airport in less than five minutes. The downside of the hotel is that it is quite dated in terms of the room and general up keep. We had stayed at this hotel ten years ago on our first trip to Ireland and the rooms looked the same as well as the lobby and restaurant/pub areas. We were finishing up our own trip to Ireland and had an early flight, so as I stated this fit our needs but I think you can find other hotels (Ennis) that can get you to the airport in plenty of time for an early flight.

Reviewed 13 October 2009

We stayed one night at the Park Inn Shannon Airport Hotel. This hotel is what it is....a very convenient place to catch a 7:00 AM flight out. And don't worry, it is RIGHT across the parking lot from the terminal You won't need a taxi or anything else to get you to the terminal. As a matter of fact, they have painted foot prints on the sidewalk to get you through to the terminal, so you don't get lost. You can return your rental car in the evening and walk back to the hotel with ease. This hotel is not ultra fancy or posh, but it was a clean, comfortable room, with a large work desk if you are traveling on business, plus a small refrigerator and a trouser press, which was neat. The bathroom showed it's age, but was adequate. We got a very good meal in the dining room, and went straight to bed, up at 4:30 am and walked right to the terminal. It's a room, you sleep there one night, and leave.....how bad can it be?

Reviewed 25 September 2009

The Park Inn, once a good four star under previous ownership/management, has gone downhill and is now three star minus. The overall feel is that of a low grade hotel in the rural US.

Our room was nondescript and the bathroom small and in need of maintenance. The public areas were unitdy - we picked an empty bottle off the floor in the bar and the staff didn't express any surprise or concern. The restaurant has some 'legacy' staff who try hard.

The hotel's big advantage is that it is a c. 150 m walk (not covered) to the airport terminal and thus very convenient if you have an early morning flight (in which case, eat breakfast in the airport). There's no other reason to stay there.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank globaltraveller200
Reviewed 24 September 2009

If you're looking for a hotel that's close to the airport - look no further. Literally across the parking lot from the airport, this hotel is as close as you can get. But if you're looking for comfort or cleanliness - go somewhere else.

We had four people staying in one of the family rooms (two twin beds and one double bed). The staff at the front desk were very friendly and helpful, but other than that, this hotel was all downhill. The room itself was old and rundown, but the bathroom was the worst. There was mold all over the ceiling. Above the sink, one of the lights fixtures was broken with only a bare bulb in it. The tub was dirty as was the shower curtain. The beds were very uncomfortable and had no cover sheets - just a fitted sheet and bedspread. Seeing how dirty the bathroom was, I can only imagine what was on the bedspreads. There's really no excuse for the condition our room was in. We couldn't move to another room as there were no other family rooms available.

Despite reading some bad reviews before booking, we decided to give the Park Inn a shot because we had a very early flight to catch, and we figured it couldn't be all that bad - we were wrong. It is SO worth paying a few Euros for a short taxi ride to stay somewhere else in the area.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shannon
The Oakwood Hotel
Bunratty Manor Hotel
Bunratty Manor Hotel
#1 of 2 in Bunratty
Treacys West County Conference & Leisure Hotel

Been to Park Inn by Radisson Shannon Airport? Share your experiences!