“God service but overpriced”

The Country Market Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Dessert in Castleisland
Price range: US$7 - US$20
Cuisines: Deli, Irish
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: At The Country Market we have been serving quality, fresh food in a homely, welcoming environment for over 30 years. We pride ourselves on using prime, local ingredients, and providing efficient and friendly service.
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I recently visited Castleisland and the very enjoyable Crag Cave. Afterwards we went to The Country Market Rstaurant on the main street in the town. It is located mid way on the street and looks attractive from the front.
The Restaurant was very busy but a friendly waiter offered us a table and menus. There were 4 different menus which was too much and options were excessive. This must put a lot of trouble on the chef. We ordered 2 different Ciabattas one with chicken, smoked cheese and tomatoes but both looked exactly the same. Another person ordered the Chicked Goujon Wrap which was very basi and at €11.95 very over priced. I ordered a Diet Coke which came in a 330 ml size, the can was left on the table and a glass. At €1.95 you would expect it to be poured before hand.
3 Sandwiches and 3 drinks with a side of chips worked out at €35.75 which was expensive considering the standard. The restaurant was clearly understaffed as many other guests were not getting served. Overall it was an average experience

1  Thank Brian269
A_Fitzgerald_CMKT, Owner at The Country Market Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2013

Hello SirTravelot77,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to The Country Market. I would like to address some of your points herein:

We put a lot of time and effort in to our Deli Menu in order to make our selection of sandwiches as varied as possible, while still retaining their appeal to our clientele, and although there is always going to be some duplication where salad ingredients are concerned, each ciabata has a different meat, as well as different cheeses and mayonnaises. At times our ciabatas may share two (or possibly three) ingredients, but we feel that they are still varied enough, ingredients-wise, not to be considered too similar.

We acknowledge that our sandwiches may be, in certain instances, more expensive than those in other delis or restaurants, but we believe that the quality of the ingredients we use – as well as our service – makes our sandwich selection value for money. We only use Irish meats; we cook all of our meats in-house; we use no pre-packed or pre-frozen meats; we strive to feature as many locally-sourced products as possible; and we provide our customers with full details of our sources, as well as farm-traceability for our beef and lamb.

We are very fortunate to be a busy restaurant - often extremely busy at lunch time - and while we endeavor to serve people as quickly as possible, with the best will in the world there are times that people will end up waiting a minute or two longer than we'd ideally like. We are renowned for our friendly and efficient service, and we constantly strive to maintain those standards.

We thank you again for your feedback and hope you will visit us in the future.

Alice Fitzgerald

Reviewed 27 June 2013

I have often eaten in this place. And until recently I thought it was faultless. Indeed, their desserts are still to die for. But a recent experience hints that the quality of this place has declined.

My mother and I stopped for lunch here recently. She had a main course, which was fine, but it was disappointing in that only mashed was provided (as well as other veg). I have a vague recollection that actual boiled potatoes or some version of roast potatoes was pretty standard here as well. I could be wrong on that one, and it was late in the day so perhaps they were all gone.

But my main gripe was with the sandwich I got. It was supposed to be turkey and bacon (I think) with brie. The quantity of meat was laughable it was so small. Overall it lacked flavour and umph. On the menu with this sandwich, you could order chips and/or salad as two side orders, which I did. The chips were fine, but the side order of salad comprised lettuce leaves in the sandwich. I queried this with the waitress, and she said that yes, that was the side salad. I have never come across this anywhere. Given the small amount of meat in the sandwich, it is probably just as well that the side salad was put into the sandwich to bulk it up.

Like I said, it was late, we were tired, so we ate and left. But I sincerely hope that this formerly fantastic place is not on a slippery slope of sloppiness.....

1  Thank Exile2011
Bertha47, Owner at The Country Market Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2013

Hi Exile2011,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to The Country Market. I am extremely disappointed that everything was not as it should have been for you; we work very hard to make sure that all of our patrons leave as satisfied customers, and nothing less will do, as far as we're concerned.

Regarding the lack of roast potatoes: we usually have roast potatoes (or potato gratin) during lunch service each day, which are cooked in batches to ensure that they don't get too dry, but in a bid to avoid waste, and to keep everything as fresh as possible, we don't usually cook any after 3PM. During the summer we also have steamed new-season local potatoes, but those are subject to availability. We serve two scoops of mashed potato with our main courses, and we always provide extra mash, if requested, at no extra cost.

As for the situation with the salad, I can only hazard a guess that there was a breakdown in communication between the waitress who was serving you and the person working in the deli section on that day - some of our sandwiches are accompanied by salad leaves, while others are not, and this may have lead to a mix-up - but there is no excuse whatsoever for you not getting the side salad you had paid for and, moreover, for being told that the salad was 'in the sandwich' - I can guarantee you that that is not a practice we engage in, and the person who told you that was simply not doing their job correctly. I can only offer my sincerest apologies for this, and assure you that, after talking to the waiting staff about this incident, nothing like it will be happening again.

Regarding the sandwich: we use only premium, Irish meats for our sandwiches, which we cook in-house; we don't use any processed meat or any pre-packed meat, and the quality of the meat is reflected in the price we pay for it, therefore portion-control is important for us. Once again, though, I'm very disheartened to learn that you were dissatisfied with what you were served - we sell a huge amount of sandwiches, ciabata rolls, bagels and paninis on a daily basis and I can honestly say that nobody has ever described the amount of filling as "laughable" - we feel that while our sandwiches may be more expensive than other delis or restaurants, we are still giving value for money, in terms of both the quality and the quantity of the filling we put in them. It disappoints me greatly to know that you felt you didn't get the high standard of food and the value-for-money that we strive to provide to all of our customers each day. I am confident that if you had aired your complaints to the waiting staff they would have endeavored to put things right for you, but I also fully recognise the fact that everything should have been to your satisfaction to begin with, of course.

While I understand your frustration at your overall experience at The Country Market on the day in question, I can promise you that - despite the fact that mistakes were made with your order - we are still completely dedicated to providing high quality food and friendly, efficient service in a welcoming environment. As I said earlier, nothing less than that is acceptable for us. I sincerely hope you will accept my apologies, and that we will see you in The Country Market again soon - please make yourself known to me and as a gesture of our regret I will treat you to some of the desserts that you spoke so highly of.

Reviewed 19 May 2013

With TA's guidance, we stopped here for a late Sunday lunch after a long drive around the Dingle Peninsula. The restaurant was quite busy, and I suspect there were a lot more regulars than transients.There were plenty of choices, perhaps three different menus with everything from sandwiches and salads through a full course dinner. The atmosphere was somewhat like a convivial diner in the states, friendly knowledgeable service, desserts displayed in a large display case,

With too many heavy meals under our belt, all we really wanted was a sandwich. I did a double take when I saw a category: "New York Bagels". It is hard enough to get decent bagels in Connecticut and New Jersey, much less this side of the Atlantic. Against my better judgment, I told the young waiter I'm from New York-will I be disappointed? He said they were very good, so my wife and I ordered bagels with salmon, cream cheese and capers.

Truth be told, they were nothing like New York bagels, soft but good baked bread in the shape of bagels. Well, you would have a hard time finding Irish brown bread in Manhattan, although perhaps some of the pubs give it a try. The salmon, cream cheese and capers made up for the faux bagels.It was a damn good sandwich, just not true bagels. You would have to go to Poland, the Czech Republic or somewhere else in Eastern Europe, I assume to get the kind of bagels you find in Manhattan or Montreal.

Everything passing our table looked quite good. A very nice place in a small town. But no true Irish bagel maker has emerged.

Hi ulysses4,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to The Country Market. I'm sorry to hear that you weren't entirely satisfied with the bagel you ordered - while these bagels are marketed and sold to us as 'New York Bagels', with the benefit of hindsight it may have been better for us not to reprint that claim on our menus. These bagels are very popular with our clientele, to be fair, but I can see how they may end up being something of a disappointment to someone who is used to the 'real thing'. You'll be glad to hear that we have taken your feedback on board, and we will be removing the term 'New York' from the bagel section of our new menu, which we are currently compiling.

I hope that, overall, it didn't spoil the enjoyment of your meal too much, and that we see you again next time you're in Kerry.

Reviewed 6 May 2013 via mobile

Popped in to this place which was open on bank holiday Monday too.
Just had two desserts and they were excellent. Very reasonable too. They had gluten free option which was very nice too.
Would definitely be back.

1  Thank irishguydublin

Hi Irishguydublin,

Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent visit to The Country Market; we're really glad you enjoyed it and we hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed 23 April 2013 via mobile

Popped into The Country Market while visiting Castleisland today. The moment I stepped in I fell in love with the place. Such fantastic atmosphere. It is classic vintage with Cath Kidston tablecloths and wear. Shabby chic tables and chairs with floral china milk jugs, it doesn't get much better than this. Food, service and value for money is unbelievable. I would gladly go out of my way to visit this little gem again. Everywhere you look there is a reminder from the past, baby grandfather clocks on the walls, old jugs, the list is endless. I could happily spend hours with a pot of tea and a book by the fire here. Top marks for such a haven.

1  Thank IRISH074
A_Fitzgerald_CMKT, Owner at The Country Market Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2013

Hi irish074,

Thank you so much for your lovely review - I'm delighted that you enjoyed the decor and ambience, as well as the food and service! We hope to see you again soon!