“Good food Awful service”

The Country Market Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Dessert in Castleisland
Price range: US$7 - US$20
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Irish
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: At The Country Market we have been serving quality, fresh food in a homely, welcoming environment for over 30 years. We pride ourselves on using prime, local ingredients, and providing efficient and friendly service.
Reviewed 23 March 2014

My husband and I called to The Country Market for something to eat on Saturday March 22nd around 2.30pm. The place was very busy and it was hard to find a table at first but then one became available so we sat down. The table was littered with the remains of the previous diners food. We were there for ten minutes when someone eventually came to clear away the table and take our order. I could see other tables full of dirty dishes around the place and there didn't seem to be any staff member responsible for clearing them off straight away. A pet hate of mine is when people finish their meal and leave the table that the table is left in that state for more than a few minutes. I ordered the chicken goujon wrap and my husband ordered roast lamb. Fifteen minutes later my food arrived and I cant fault it as it was very tasty. However my husbands food took another ten minutes to arrive. It was very obvious that the food was ready over by the serveover but the guy who waited on our table was too busy to pick it up. The whole vibe that I got was that there weren't enough staff to deal with the volume of customers. My husbands food was good but by the time he got it I had almost finished mine. Their prices are pretty steep if I am honest but as I said the food was good. Leaving tables full of dirty crockery and remnants of food for more than a few minutes is not acceptable. Overall good food but awful service. Not sure we would return

4  Thank MLORiordan

Reviewed 21 March 2014

I visited this restaurant last Thursday with a friend we both ordered chicken curry and having seen the other dinners customers were getting I was looking forward to mine. We got a small bowel of curry and a tiny dish of rice it was smaller than a half portion. we left hungry and at 11.99 euro each a robbery. I live near by in Tralee and eat out for lunch most days and this was the worst value for money ever

1  Thank Seanie121
A_Fitzgerald_CMKT, Owner at The Country Market Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your recent visit to The Country Market Restaurant. I am very disappointed to hear that your dining experience was not completely satisfactory.

We serve Curry twice a week and, to be honest, we have never received a complaint about the portion size or the price. Each portion of our Chicken Curry contains over a full breast of Irish Chicken, and what we feel is an adequate portion of rice. We also offer the diner a portion of Creamed Potato and steamed Vegetables, at no extra cost. I am disheartened that you considered the portion to be small, as I can assure you that our customers' satisfaction is of utmost importance to us at all times, and we are not in the habit of leaving our customers hungry. If you were not offered a portion of Potatoes/Vegetables, it was an oversight – one which should not have happened and one which I can only apologise for. I hope you will visit The Country Market Restaurant again, and if you make yourself known to me I will personally endeavour to make sure that your dining experience with us is a completely worthwhile one.

Alice Fitzgerald

Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

Good food but a half portion main lunch course @ €11.95 ie more expensive than full portions in most places is ridiculous, we go to lunch every Sunday all over Kerry and in many establishments far superior to this one and this was by far the most expensive, they don't just need to drop the prices they need to radically slash them, it's not Celtic Tiger times anymore!

A_Fitzgerald_CMKT, Owner at The Country Market Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

As a lot of our dishes are not suitable to be halved, we deliberately do not offer half-portions on our menu to avoid causing confusion or disappointment for the customer, but we endeavor to oblige, where possible, when a customer requests a half-portion – in fact, our smaller portion is two-thirds of the size of a regular main course, as opposed to 'half', and we serve it with the same amount of potatoes and vegetables as we would with a full portion. For children, we provide a smaller portion of the 'Roast of the Day' for €8.50.

Please bear in mind also that we sell our full-portion main courses at €13.95, which we feel is quite reasonable for Sunday Lunch, moreover considering the standard of our food and the quality of the produce we use; if requested, we also provide extra potatoes and vegetables, and/or a portion of french fries, with a main course without any extra charge. We also offer a four-course Sunday Lunch Special for €21.95, with the option to add a 6oz Sirloin Steak instead of a main course for only €3 extra – again, we feel all of this represents good value.
Hi Troybadoo,

We have a policy of using the best ingredients available – Irish, and local, where possible - which we detail on our menus each day: Kerry beef and lamb with full farm-traceability; Annascaul bacon; award-winning farm-reared pork from Kanturk; fresh fish from Fenit, Brandon and BallyCotton; and fresh Irish vegetables are just a few examples example of this. All of this inevitably adds to the overall cost of our food, however, we would rather charge a little extra than cut corners by using cheaper, imported and oft-inferior goods, and we believe that the vast majority of our customers appreciate this approach. This support of local/Irish food producers is of benefit to everyone, enabling Irish consumers to enjoy the many quality foodstuffs produced here, while simultaneously supporting Irish industry and employment.

Alice

Reviewed 17 September 2013

Im a regular here at the Country Market, every town should have one.It just has an old fashioned homely feeling as you enter the restaurant with its tables covered in kitch oil-cloths, a dresser, plates on the walls and the warm cosy welcoming *real* fire. Some newly added odd china plates and cakestands containing scrumptious cakes,scones,pies and pastries all homemade! The selection of breads white, brown, seeded and gluten free can all be purchased to take away great to enjoy at home when in too much of a hurry to make your own. Dont arrive here too late at lunch time as you wont get a seat, most popular venue for delicious hot lunches and a wide and varied selection of paninis! Always a happy friendly atmosphere,a credit to Alice and her loyal staff!

2  Thank foodnwine5

Hi foodnwine5,

I'm delighted to hear that you enjoying visiting The Country Market so much, and we're always grateful for kind reviews and recommendations. We hope to see you again very soon.

Aice

Reviewed 15 July 2013

I spend a nice bit of time in Castleisland but never eat out alot.... I have eaten there twice now and without a doubt, top quality, top food and friendly service!

My first time was a Sunday - with a fantastic 4 course Sunday Lunch for under €25/30 euro, I cant remember exactly but wow was it some feed!! The steak was massive and beautifully cooked! the homemade desserts were to die for....

I had lunch/dinner there today. I had the Crown of turkey salad... I was a bit fussy with my order for personal reasons and they were very obliging! there size of the dish was great and very filling!! My partner had the cabonara and really really enjoyed it and was stuffed after it!

Definitely stop there if your heading south, it worth coming off the Castleisland by-pass for!

1  Thank Westlady

Hi Westlady,

Thank you so much for your kind review, it's very rewarding to know that people enjoy visiting The Country Market. We hope to see you again soon.

Alice