“Great Restaurant”

Nicks Restaurant and Piano Bar
Ranked #2 of 22 Restaurants in Killorglin
Price range: US$4 - US$39
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Irish, Seafood, European, Gastropub
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Nick's Restaurant is located in the beautiful town of Killorglin which is in the heart of Co. Kerry and stands on a hill to the south of Castlemaine Harbour headwaters, on the River Laune.
London, United Kingdom
“Great Restaurant”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I spent a week in Killorglin during June 2014. I stayed at the Reeks Lodge where Dorothy was the perfect host and provided a great and varied breakfast. Most evenings I walked over the bridge into town to Nick's for dinner. I was always seated immediately and made to feel most welcome The atmosphere was a delight with the piano being played every night I was there. The service was excellent, and the price was reasonable considering the excellent quality of the food This was my first visit to Ireland, and I am looking forward to going back.

County Dublin, Ireland
“Overpriced”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

My husband and I, having spent a day touring the Ring of Kerry, decided to stop in Killorglin en route back to our hotel in Cahersiveen for dinner. We had intended dining in the Tapas restaurant next door to Nick's but it was closed that evening. We had no reservation obviously but we were seated immediately in the bar area and given both the restaurant and bar menus. Unfortunately the young lady who seated us appeared to promptly forget we were there and it took quite some time to get her attention to order our food. She was very pleasant, however. I had half a dozen oysters to start and the salmon/crab fishcakes for main. Hubby had the Thai beef salad to start and the burger main. The food was good but I did think my main of 3 fishcakes and a bit of side salad was very small for the price (and was unimpressed with finding a bit of crab claw in one of the cakes). Overall we found this restaurant to be very overpriced and wouldn't be rushing back,

• Visited July 2014
Wicklow
“A pleasure”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My wife and I visIted on a midweek in late June. It had been recommended by a neighbour for a call on our Kerry break.On entering the feeling was welcoming. The maitre d' was immediately with us and made us feel like we were regulars. We weren't rushed at any stage & the live piano player was a joy to listen to but was never intrusive. We had a drink at the bar, perused our menus with help from the maitre d' & brought to our table when the food was ready. The whole meal was superb from start to finish. Definitely would go back & happy to recommend to anyone who will listen.

• Visited June 2014
John F, Manager at Nicks Restaurant and Piano Bar, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thank you so much for taking time to write such a lovely review. Myself and all the team here at Nicks really appreciate it and we hope to welcome you back very soon.

Warm regards

John
“Only go if you want to be ill”
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Service awful completely disorganised, had to keep pestering. The lady was slow, out of it and unpleasant.
The tomato soup was obviously tinned, trimmed up to look gourmet. I had lobster as well, my husband had mussels and lobster. Small measly, overpriced. We both ill within hours, sick and runs. Not the thing for wedding anniversary.

4 Thank Janet B
Dear Janet B,

I was so shocked and disappointed when I read your review tonight. We really take any suggestion or report of food making our customers sick very seriously indeed. I would appreciate it if you could please phone me at the restaurant or email me your phone number and I will call you back.

I am so sorry you and your husband had such a terrible Nicks experience.

I await to hear from you.

John Foley
Cork, Ireland
“Good food, lovely staff”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We enjoyed our evening in this restaurant. We did not have a reservation so we sat in the gastro bar part of the restaurant and we did not regret it. We enjoyed the atmosphere of the place and listening to the piano playing. The food was delicious and was worth the money. The staff was very welcoming. It was my mum first trip to the ring of Kerry and to welcome her, the owner of the restaurant offered us a drink! A night she (we) will remember!

• Visited May 2014
Thank you for taking time to write such a lovely review. I am delighted yourself and your Mum enjoyed your evening with us and we look forward to welcoming you back next time you're in Kerry.

Warm regards