“The first time I've stayed here, just sorry I had to leave this wonderful place!”

Grove Lodge Riverside Guest House
Ranked #1 of 15 Killorglin B&B and Inns
Manchester, England
Reviewed 7 July 2012 via mobile

Just one night here, room 9 on the ground floor. Expected an ordinary B+B for the price, got an immaculate, almost Manor like home! Beautiful public areas, fabulous gardens and wonderful river views. The room was spotless. Huge. Well furnished, with a great bath and strong powerful shower. Having read a previous review re the poor breakfast, I can only say this was the best breakfast I think I've ever had! I was embarrassed at the amount and variety of food the owner left out when there was just the two of us staying. Cereals, fruit, yogurts, hams and salami, a big variety of cheeses, home made scones and muffins, home made soda and wheat breads, nutella, jams and marmalades, marmite, you can't imagine it! And I thought great tho they won't do the cooked breakfast. Boy was I wrong. Full Irish? Scrambed eggs with smoked salmon and capers? Eggs any style? Pancakes with honey and fruit? I went for the open sandwich with local ham and cheese, pineapple and peppers, and it was divine! My friend had the salmon and organic eggs. Best breakfast ever served by the owner, a wonderful Kerry lady who liked to chat and who was in the kitchen baking because she was bored! Wish she'd be bored nearer to me more often!!! I loved it. Can't wait to return there.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank tomthetank67

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Wexford,
Reviewed 26 June 2012

The Apartment itself was beautiful, clean, modern and well furnished. It was ideal for walking to the town and touring beautiful Kerry. The various switches for the underfloor heating and hot water were explained briefly to us on arrival, however, we were not warned about how expensive it could get. We thought we were very careful, but our bill at the end of the ONE WEEK WAS 93 EUROS!

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anne P
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 1 November 2011

We booked this B&B based on the reviews in Tripadvisor and were really disappointed. The room was cold and dated. The bathroom could have been cleaner and the sheets and pillowcases, although had been washed, had old ingrained stains. The duvet cover masked the smell from the duvet itself, which was not very pleasant. The breakfast was'nt great either. The cereals and food from the buffet were limited. I ordered poached eggs and bacon - the eggs were fine but the bacon was not fresh - it didn't taste right. My husband ordered the full Irish and he had the same complaint. My son ordered pancakes which were only fair - we left alot of food after us. I really don't understand how this B&B got such rave reviews - we couldn't wait to leave and would not return. It needs a good lick of paint and the bathroom could do with an overhaul.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank TrasnaNaDunta
boston, ma
Reviewed 20 July 2011

From accepting a last-minute reservation through to the last minute of our stay, the Grove Lodge was ideal. A friendly and open greeting, a beautiful, well-appointed, airy room; a garden to die for; lovely walks along the river; and a delicious, varied breakfast. The other travelers we met there were very interesting, as well. The Lodge also has condo-like facilities for families and longer stays. My husband is dreaming of a golf trip with friends based at the inn.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Ireland
Reviewed 15 June 2011

We are a couple with an 18 month old child and stayed here for a couple of nights, everything was perfect from start to finish. The hotel and the grounds are spotlessly clean and very well maintained. The room was very comfortable with a nice en-suite and the atmosphere of the place is great.

The breakfast is as good as we have ever had and that includes several 5 star hotels, there is a buffet of the usual cereals, meats, cheeses and bread alongside scones and other patisseries. On top of that there is a menu of cooked breakfast options which the owner cooks while you help yourself to the buffet (don't eat too much as the full Irish is very big!).

The friendliness of the owners really sets this place apart we felt welcomed and comfortable for the entire duration of our stay, our daughter had great fun playing with the family dog.

We highly recommend this place to anyone who might be considering staying here, we have already talked my mother into a visit and plan on returning next year.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Globeor
cork
Reviewed 1 September 2010

Unfortunately we were only able to have a one night stay in this most lovely of guesthouses. We were a party of four people,& each of us loved everything about our comfortable night not forgetting the wonderfull breakfast & the charming staff.
If you are near to Killorglin ,be sure to stay here ,it's better than the best!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mirandacork
Kauffenheim
Reviewed 2 August 2010

We stayed in one of the holiday houses which was nice and modern but unfortunately not thoroughly clean. For example a pretty disgusting toilet brush was waiting for us in one of the bathrooms. Also, we were supposed to take an appartment that wasn't the category we had made reservations for. The lady there insisted the place was rented for the same price, but we insisted that we wanted what we had asked for. After an hour (of shopping) we came back, and we got what we had asked for. Other than that (and a missing light bulb and a leaking shower) everything was comfortable. Killorglin is sort of boring, however. Next time I'd stay in Killarney instead.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bettina83
Also consider these accommodations in or near Killorglin
Bianconi
Dingle Skellig Hotel
Coffey's River's Edge
Coffey's River's Edge
#2 of 15 in Killorglin

Been to Grove Lodge Riverside Guest House? Share your experiences!