“Excelent hosts and a very confortable apartment”
Review of Torine House

Torine House
Ranked #5 of 15 Killorglin B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 October 2011

In august 2011 my husband and I stayed at the selfcatering apartment at Torine House for a week. The experience could not have been more pleasant. Katherine and her husband were very helpful and charming hosts. We found the small town of Kilorglin, with good restaurants and pubs, and the salmon smokery, a lovely and peaceful place from which to drive to the different sites we wanted to see in the area. The apartment itself was homey and confortable and lacked nothing. We will surely be back one day.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank veteran0

Reviewed 10 December 2010

We stayed one night during the Puck Fair, in Aug. It was the only room we could find after searching a location between Cork and Limerick (we were travelling by car).
On arrival, all was well (fairly friendly people) and we paid as planned full price for the room we booked, until they showed us the actual room they allocated (which was advertised as a double, en-suite, with TV and tea/coffee facility). The room was tiny, did not have tea/coffee facility and no en-suite (toilet/shower was at the end of the corridor, sharing with another room).
It was in fact their daughter's bedroom, while she was away at Uni for the week, as they had no other room left (they never told us this until we arrived to their house!) The bed was wedged against the wardrobe so we could only put our suitcase right next to the bed and against the wall. The TV was not working so we had to go to the communal living room to watch TV (which I wanted to do to relax and -to be quite frank- to make a point). The owner then approached us to say that the tv was too loud and could we please turn it down as the day after would be the Puck Fair and they had to wake up early! (noise is subjective, but I still don't think the tv was excessively loud. More to the point, it was 9pm on a Friday night!)
Breakfast was ok -I don't remember it to be bad as such (the other guests had a long chat with the owners and seemed to be delighted to be there and were very much looking forward to choosing the goat!) ;-)
Sadly, our experience was so bad that all we wanted was to leave quickly. I love Ireland and the tour of the west by car we did for a week proved to be a charming experience, lovely landscapes and really friendly, unassuming people. This B&B was really horrible, but not usual for this otherwise lovely country.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Frenchy90210
Reviewed 2 October 2009

Myself and my sister stayed at Torine House for 4 days in August. On arrival we were met by Mr Lyons who informed us that we didn't actually have a double room as there had been a "mix up" and we were shown to a tiny room with a queen size bed. We were assured that we would be moved into a double room the morning after, something which never happened. The room we spent 4 days in wasn't big enough to even unpack our cases, plus there were no drawers and no wardrobe. the bathroom was tiny and the shower was faulty.
I booked this B&B the previous Feb and paid a 30 euro deposit, but upon arrival Mrs Lyons denied having recieved it and made us pay it again...a few days later I managed to access a p.c and I printed off proof that we had in fact paid a deposit (how else would we have been able to make the booking without sending off a deposit?) and Mr Lyons just looked at me and said "and you really think your getting this money refunded do you"? They never gave us the deposit back, nor did they move us into the double en-suite room that we had paid for.
I would avoid Torine house at all costs as they appear to be only interested in taking your money off you. If you like a nice big breakfast before heading out for the day, may I suggest that you eat elsewhere, as this was the most meagre breakfast I have ever seen. It is served on a 7" side plate and consists of two small sausages, two wafer thin rashers and a fried egg, that's it!! Plus it was stone cold...
All in all myself and my sister had a thoroughly miserable time at Torine house, please do not waste your hard earned cash by staying there, we certainly won't be doing so ever again.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank jahdel
Reviewed 20 July 2009

Hi
My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights in May. Catherine and her husband were extremely friendly and provided us with detailed tours of the surrounding areas.
The B&B is a short 5 minute walk outside the town which is great to walk off the dinner. There are some very nice restaurants and bars in the town.
I cannot understand the other reviews - we found the place to be just prefect. Would definitely return.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Barney79london
Reviewed 20 September 2007

We stayed here for one night on 6th September but had booked for three nights. It is one of the worst bed and breakfasts we have ever stayed in and should be avoided at all costs. The place is dirty, the beds uncomfortable (but advertised as orthopaedic ) and the meagre breakfast cold. The hosts are too busy in their other occupations to find time to care for their guests let alone show any sign of a welcome. We left after one night to stay in another b&b which was typical of the very high standard found in this part of Ireland

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FlynnChester
Reviewed 18 July 2007

Our party spent two nights at the Torine House while touring County Kerry. Killorglin was an OK little town with a central location and the B&B was fairly well marked in town so pretty easy to find. The Inn itself seemed fairly clean and kept with a nice garden outside. Overall, the inn seemed somewhat dark (not enough sunlight coming in). The rooms seem to have been relatively recently painted. The bed linens were mismatched and very musty smelling and the towels were also mismatched with some of them being very thin and tattered. Full breakfast was included in the price but was only OK. I will say that Catherine, the hostess, was very pleasant and helpful with answering our questions.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 3 May 2007

The room was freezing! tattered very old paper thin towels, small bathroom. The room is very worn. They were not there upon arrival, even though I made arrangements for a specific time. Very unprepared for us, I think they may have forgotten we were coming. Stay some where else.

Stayed: April 2007