“overnight with friends”

Parknasilla Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Sneem
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Hotel located in one of the most beautiful places in Ireland. Hotel has old world charm and is delightful. Receptionists were very welcoming even though they were busy. Porter was our luggage to our room . The room was very spacious and well decorated. Bathroom was equally spacious with stand alone bath separate shower etc . Unfortunately we did not have the best view from this room but you cant please all the people all the time. Dinner and breakfast were lovely with a very busy and extremely friendly staff. Special word for the restaurant manager(?) who seemed to interact with everyone and he was always smiling . Really enjoyed our stay and all are planning to come back again for a longer stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank John C
Generalmanagerpark, General Manager at Parknasilla Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Dear John C,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us here and I agree with you Parknasilla is located in one of the most beautiful and scenic locations in Ireland. I'm glad that you found our front office team welcoming and that the porters were able to help you with your luggage.

John, our restaurant manager, is a great asset to the hotel. His warm and welcoming attitude and dedication to the job is unparalleled. He take great pride in his work and will also be thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. I will be sure to pass on your regards to him

Thank you again for your kind review and I look forward to welcoming you back through our gates in the not so distant future.

There are newer reviews for Parknasilla Resort & Spa

Reviewed 7 May 2014

We really liked this property because it had tons of old world charm and didn't feel like a generic 5 star Marriott-type property. The grounds are spacious with beautiful landscaping and a park that must go on for miles. The hiking was spectacular. We even saw people swimming in the sea (we are too used to swimming in Goa to do that...) The meals were quite good, in fact we only ate there. I enjoyed the burgers. Breakfast was also extensive, a bit crowded, but waiters were always attentive and ready to help. Reception was friendly and efficient. The room was fairly large, very modern and nicely furnished, comfortable bed, and peaceful park view. I liked the creaky stairs and just the feel of being in a heritage, historic property that seemed a bit quirky in a good way. I also liked the fact that the majority of guests were Irish just wanting to have a nice vacation, laid-back and enjoying themselves. That is to say, it didn't feel like a tourist trap for foreigners. Having read some negative reviews we were not entirely sure, but having stayed here I can confidently say that it would be difficult to criticize much about this property. Definitely a great base not only for the Kerry Ring but also Ilnacullin Gardens on Garinish Island on the gorgeous and underrated Beara Peninsula.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KincsZoltan
Generalmanagerpark, General Manager at Parknasilla Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear KincsZoltan,

I would like to begin by thanking you for taking the time to write a review and I was thrilled to read that you enjoyed your time here with us. Parknasilla is an old style manor property, with plenty of old world charm. We are truly blessed not only to have such a unique hotel but to be situated in one of the most beautiful and scenic locations in Ireland. Parknasilla itself is located on a 500 acre estate and are garden team work tirelessly all year long to ensure that the grounds are in immaculate condition for our guests to enjoy. We also have a few brave guests that partake in swimming in the Kenmare Bay, but for those who aren't as courageous, the swimming pool is a great alternative with floor to ceiling windows to take in the same breath taking views.

I am glad that you enjoyed the dining experience our kitchen and restaurant teams take great pride in their work and will be pleased to hear you enjoyed your meals during your stay. We spend a great deal of time ensuring that our accommodation options are suitable for our guests and I am happy to read that your enjoyed your room and the overall atmosphere of the hotel.

We are based on or in close proximity to some of the most beautiful coastal drives in Ireland including the Ring of Kerry and the Wild Atlantic way, making us the ideal base location to explore some of these famous scenic routes and I am glad that you were able to experience some of them.

Again to conclude, thank you again for sharing your experiences with us and I will be sure to inform all of your team members that you enjoyed your time here with us. If you do visit Ireland again, I hope that you will make the trip back down to see us.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Will be booking out from this hotel tomorrow morning after 4 days of pure pleasure! Im so sad to think its over. One of the nicest escapes we have ever had.
We booked a 2 bed self catering lodge so our 10 month old could have plenty of freedom. It worked out a treat. We could relax in our own space and use all the fantastic facilities in the hotel, just a two minute stroll away. We made our own breakfasts each morning but did have our dinners each evening in the relaxing bar. Food was scrumptious each night and service was spectacular- especially georgina, a true gem. I think we could have left our little man with her for a week and she wouldn't mind. She was so attentive to him.
We made great use of thermal suite, pool and outdoor hot tub. All amazing. I had a beautiful facial/massage, felt like I was in heaven for my 'me time'.
The hotel is just out of this world, with its grounds, views etc. We were disappointed we couldn't do any of the woodland walks as they are not buggy friendly but it didn't spoil our trip!
Think this could become an annual event, love love love this place!
(Kinda wish we could get married again, this must be amazing for weddings!!)

Room Tip: I didnt see the rooms in hotel but the self catering are very modern, spacious and clean.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Aoife O

Thank you writing such a wonderful review. I am always delighted to read such wonderful comments and I will be sure to pass on to all the team. They take great pride in their work and will be equally delighted that you enjoyed your stay. I am glad that you enjoyed the courtyard lodges, I agree with you, the courtyard lodges are the ideal option for families that need that extra space while still enjoying all the facilities that the hotel has to offer.

I am also thrilled that you enjoyed the casual dining in the bar and lounge area. Our kitchen team will be pleased to hear that you enjoyed their delicious food and I will sure to pass on your comments to Georgina. She really is a great asset to the hotel, having worked here for over 14 years her dedication and hard working attitude set a real example for all our other staff member and she is great with children and young families. She will be thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay and that you are planning a return trip soon.

The Spa at Parknasilla is a haven for rest and relaxation while staying. The spa facilities including the two outdoor jacuzzis, thermal suite, heated loungers and swimming pool provide the perfect backdrop before having a treatment or to just relax after a long day exploring the 500 acre estate. I am very happy that you enjoyed your treatment, they provide the perfect escape from a busy life and to finish feeling rested and rejuvenated.

Thank you again for your kind comments and I look forward to welcoming you through our gates again in the near future.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Recently stayed in the hotel for a two night package with my husband, on arrival to the hotel it was a lovely old style house lovely grounds and great views of the sea. we were greeted and accompanied to our bedroom, which on entering was a real disappointment, it was in the manor house part of the hotel but it was small, gruby with paint stains and dirt on the walls and the smallest shower room ( as there was no bath) ive ever seen in a 4 star hotel. My husband who is easily pleased was not impressed.

I went to reception to check if there was another room available that had a bath, been over 7 months pregnant it was something that i wanted in the room, 2 rooms later and a lot of lovely help from Keira she found us a room with no sea view which i didnt mind as the bath was huge.
this room had been recently decorated and could tell as there was still a smell of paint in the room

the rooms had no fridges altho one is available on request and in the manor house have sash windows that don't open very far and rooms have no air con and we found the beds very hard to sleep on, try request a new room

Dinner was lovely in the restaurant great choice and very tasty, service was a little slow on the night. breakfast was lovely great range to choose from

the spa facilities were great , i opted for the Mother to be massage, to be honest i wouldn't recommend it. "using a specialized bean bag" was how it was described, and when i was booking it i was told you would be surrounded in duvets and blankets made very comfortable, when i got there there was a bed about 4ft high for me to climb up on and it had 5 standard pillows for me to lie on, i had to ask for a step to be brought in for me to get up on which a wooden chest was used. the massage itself was a basic full body massage altho my arms neck and feet weren't touched. therapist said if she'd time she would get to feet. treatment was supposed to last 75mins, only lasted 60 mins so there was time. I am well used to massages and get one in every spa hotel we stay in, i was very disappointed with this treatment which was not cheap at €99

overall our stay was nice butwe would not be returning.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the new extension of the hotel
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank s c

Dear s c

From the outset, I would like to thank you for your review and for sharing your experience with us. We value all feedback, positive and negative alike as it allows us to maintain our high standards and continue to thrive in the future. In regards to your comments, I am disappointed that you did not enjoy some aspects of your stay. Parknasilla is an old manor style hotel and built in 1983. We offer a warm old style welcome and with this some of the rooms do not have baths in keeping with the older style of the hotel. I'm sorry you were given a room that did not have a bath but I am happy to hear that Keara was able to get you a room that suited your needs better.

I am happy to read that you enjoyed your dinner with us and that your were satisfied with the offering and choice. We try to provide a relaxing atmosphere in the dining room but I am sorry that you found the service slow.

I was surprised to read that you did not enjoy your treatment in the spa as we generally receive great feedback about our spa treatments but in particular the mother to be treatment which is very popular. I will be sure to pass on your comments to our spa team. Although, I am happy to read you enjoyed the spa facilities. The spa really is a haven of rest and relaxation and the facilities are ideal for a restful break.

Again thank you for writing a review and if you would like to discuss any element of your stay in further detail, please don't hesitate to contact me directly on rosullivan@parknasillahotel.ie

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Only the building itself deserves a visit. Historical house converted into a high quality resort.
Recommend to visit the library and walk around the different rooms.
Spa is nice and free for guests, highly recommend to go outside to the warm yacuzi and relax with the view of the bay.
Breakfast on my opinion was a bit poor but it did it purpose.
Staff is always willing to help and give information. I only have good words for P.J that works there.

I had an issue the last time I stayed, they charged my twice. When I contact them for it, they took care and in less than a week I had my money back.

If you like classical places with views and good food Parknasilla is your place.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank xIshidax
Generalmanagerpark, General Manager at Parknasilla Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Let me begin by thanking you for your recent review. I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you decided to return and stay with us again. I am always surprised at the sheer volume of return guests that we welcome year after year. I see it as a true testament to the quality of the hotel and the hard work of all our staff.

I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed our library, which was opened in 1995 to mark our centenary celebration. I am also pleased that you enjoyed our spa and I agree with you the two outdoor jacuzzis are really the perfect option to rest and relax while taking in some of the breath taking scenery surrounding you here at Parknasilla Resort & Spa.

I am sorry to read that you had a billing issue on your last stay, let me apologize again on behalf of our front office team but I am happy to read that they were able to rectify the situation for you.

PJ our head porter, having worked here for over 25 years, exemplifies all that is great about Parknasilla. His attitude and dedication to his job is unparalleled and is what we try to encourage and emulate in all our staff. He will be delighted to hear that you that you enjoyed your stay and I will be sure to pass on your regards to him

To conclude, thank you again for sharing your experiences with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to Parknasilla Resort & Spa again in the near future.

Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

I recently read a submission from a lady about a stay in your beautiful hotel and it was concerning the kids club and her disappointing stay in regard to the entertainment that was provided by the club.My niece recently stayed and found the kids club excellent , I am sorry to say but when you travel with children you are never off duty if you want to let them at home

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank rossbrook
Generalmanagerpark, General Manager at Parknasilla Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear Rossbrook,

Firstly let me begin by thanking you for your kind comments. All the staff here​ at Parknasilla Resort & Spa take great pride in the work that they do and they will be thrilled to hear your praise. I am delighted that your niece found our kids club excellent. We do try very hard to ensure that all our guests, especially the little ones enjoy their time with us here. We provide lots of activities and entertainment to keep them amused and to guarantee that they enjoy their holiday as much as their parents.

Thank you again for your review and I will be sure to pass on your comments to all of our departments. I look forward to welcoming you and your niece back to Parknasilla again in the near future.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

I had been to the hotel before years ago a couple of times before i had kids and was delighted to find it had added self catering lodges and a kids club. The best of both worlds I thought, I can have a beautiful hotel break and still get some downtime from the children.

Myself and my family recently stayed here for a week over Easter in the Woodside lodge. The lodges are really beautifully done and are near enough to the main hotel facilities. The hotel itself has a beautiful position overlooking the water and on great grounds. It's peaceful, looks beautiful and in general we had a lovely time. The hotel is a bit dated in terms of decor but the leisure complex is all new and very nice. The food at the bar is good and in the sunshine, sitting outside with a drink on the terrace was fabulous.

However, there was a couple of negatives, as I booked Parknasilla on the basis that I was going to get a break from the kids, I can quite honestly say this was the worst kids club i've experienced. Unlike Fota in Cork, where there is an entertainment team and full programme of activities for kids, this was one girl sitting in a dark small back hotel room on her phone texting while the 10 kids allowed in (first come first serve basis and there were hundreds of kids in the hotel complex), just stood around. It was beyond awful, my kids refused to go in and we got no time at all to ourselves. The hours were also erratic, it wasn't even open at standard times, very confusing.

I enquired re babysitting and this was very expensive, more than i would pay in Dublin for a sitter, ridiculous. On the website it lists lots of activities but none of these are available at the hotel, they are offsite and all have costs associated with them also.

The kids were able to play outside around the lodges as other kids were out,but you need to keep an eye on them and it's not the same.

All in all, i think people should know as i feel this is mis-sold on their website and parents needing a much deserved break will book these and not get the break, so i felt the need to advise this on here.

Don't book it, look at Fota Island Resort in Cork for the summer instead, much much better.

Another negative, we had breakfast in the hotel one of the days and the staff were so rude and unhelpful, absolutely dreadful, the food wasn't great either.

Anyway, still overall a nice break, but if it's a stress free , the kids will be entertained kind of holiday you want, forget it, go elsewhere :(

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Maeve K
Generalmanagerpark, General Manager at Parknasilla Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Dear Maeve K,

Firstly let me thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your experiences with us. It is only through feedback such as this that we can continue to maintain our high standards and continue to thrive in the future. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay here with us at Parknasilla Resort & Spa. I am glad you enjoyed our courtyard lodges, I really believe they are the perfect option for families travelling with young children while still enjoying the hotel atmosphere. I was also thrilled to read that you enjoyed the bar food and sitting out on our terrace. We are very lucky to be situated in one of the most beautiful locations in Ireland and when the weather is nice, there is nothing better then dining al fresco on the terrace taking in all the beautiful views and scenery.

On another note, I was disappointed to read that you were not happy with our kids schedule. I was very surprised to read this as we generally receive great feedback about being a family friendly hotel and take great pride in the activities that we provide for children. We provide a weekly schedule for all our guests with the various activities that are available and with exception of the archery all are provide complimentary. Even our kids club, both morning and afternoon sessions are free of charge unlike other hotels who do charge for this service. In addition, we also provided complimentary kids face painting and Easter egg hunt over the break with over 100 kids partaking. However if you did not receive the schedule, I apologize. In relation to the kids club booking method, we have decided that the only fair way is to operate is on a first come first serve basis, ensuring that all families on the hotel have equal opportunity to participate.

I am sorry if you felt that we did not meet your needs but feel free to contact me directly on rosullivan@parknasillahotel.ie to discuss any element of your stay in further detail.

Wamest Regards
Ruth O' Sullivan

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sneem
The Europe Hotel & Resort
#2 of 6 in Kenmare
The Brehon
The Brehon
#8 of 38 in Killarney

Been to Parknasilla Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!