“In a class of its own”

GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“In a class of its own”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

My boyfriend and I have just returned from a two night stay at Parknasilla. Our room was just breathtaking. The bed was huge and so so comfortable, it took us forever to get out of bed as we were mesmerized by the views. Our bathroom had a rain shower and was honestly the nicest shower I've ever had. The suite had two armchairs and if you ever sat in them you were unlikely to get out as they were a) so comfy and b) you were once again captivated by the views. There was anything and everything for breakfast, most of which was locally sourced and excellent quality. We also had dinner in the bar one night and highly recommend the blue cheese burger though I've since heard their pizzas are amazing. We spent a lot of time in the spa and why wouldn't we with those views. The outdoor Jacuzzi had views of the Kerry mountains and we could see seals jumping in the water, which made it all that extra special. I booked a 55 minute massage and it felt like I was in there for hours - it was so relaxing and all the staff were so welcoming. There are seven walks to chose from and we only managed to knock two off the list - gives us an excuse to come back. Above all, i think the thing that stood out to us on this trip is the hospitality, the hotel staff are great ambassadors for Kerry. We got a couple of taxi's in and out of Kenmare and both drivers knew Parknasilla well and only had positive things to say about the venue and its staff. We will most definitely be back. Thank you for a memorable stay!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Generalmanagerpark, General Manager at Parknasilla Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Dear UnaO,

Firstly, thank you for sharing your experiences with us and taking the time to complete a review. I was thrilled to read your review that you had such a pleasant time with us. We are truly blessed to be situated in one of the most scenic and magnificent locations not only in Kerry but in Ireland, and I am glad that you took the time out to really appreciate the beauty that surrounds the hotel. We are located on a 500 acre estate and I am glad that you had time to experience some of the walks that guide guests around the property and I agree you must return to complete the rest.

I will be sure to pass on your regards to all our staff. They work tirelessly all year to ensure that all our guests enjoy their break and take great pride in welcoming guests, year after year. They will be thrilled to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Again, to conclude thank you again for your wonderful review and I look forward to welcoming you to Parknasilla again in the not so distant future.

Ruth O' Sullivan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed a week in a Woodland Villa (self-catering three-bed house) at Parknasilla in May and would definitely recommend it as an option for young families.

Initial impressions were very good; they are well spaced out so you feel like you have your own space and the public areas are very clean and well-maintained. The houses themselves are finished to a high standard and very well equipped. Three large bedrooms, two bathrooms (including one with an actual bath) as well as downstairs toilet, washing machine, dryer, pretty much anything you would need for a week's holiday. The living and dining room was very spacious too, with table and chairs on the patio too.

The houses are an easy walk (5-10 minutes) from the hotel itself for access to the bar, restaurant and spa. We didn't eat in the restaurant but the bar food is fine, not haute cuisine but just fine for a casual meal.

The hotel and houses are set in massive grounds with plenty of walks through the forest and down to the sea, they also have a 'fairy trail' for kids which is essentially just a forest path with an occasional miniature fairy house stuck to a tree; a little touch but my toddler loved it. There are also well-kept tennis courts, table-tennis, snooker and pool tables for older kids and a playground right beside the villas.

If I had to say something negative, it would be that the hotel is quite remote, the village of Sneem is only five minutes away but is very small with limited options for eating or shopping; Kenmare is the nearest decent-sized town and it's 25 minutes away, likewise it's a similar distance to the beach, but once you're aware of that and plan accordingly, it's not a big deal.

So overall, a great choice for a self-catering break with the kids.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ConorO
Dear ConorO,

Let me begin by thanking you for taking the time to complete a review and share your experiences with us. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in the Woodland Villas and I agree with you, they are the ideal option for those travelling with children for the extra space while still enjoying all the facilities that the hotel has to offer.

I was glad to read that you enjoyed the bar food offering. We do try to provide a more casual dining experience in the bar and lounge areas in conjunction with the finer dining options available in the restaurant.

I was also thrilled to hear that you and all the family enjoyed the hotel grounds. We are very lucky to be located on a 500 acre estate with 7 mapped walks to guide our guests through the beautiful wooded areas and sea side walks. The fairy trail is very popular with all our special little guests and I'm glad that it was just as popular with your kids. It does provide a little bit of magic and imagination to the experience.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with us and I look forward to welcoming you to Parknasilla again in the near future.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at parknasilla last week, in the lodges. It was delightful. The lodge itself was great, very well equipped, loads of space, spotless & all mod cons. We were only 2 minutes walk from the hotel. We made great use of the pool, thermal suite and outdoor jacuzzis. I will never forget sitting in the jacuzzi with my husband & 2 kids, beautiful sunny day and looking over Kenmare bay. Memory making stuff. I had a hot stone massage & facial, with Maeve I think, fabulous. We had lunch outside one of the days. I had haddock & chips, scrummy. Everyone loved the food. Oh and the staff were lovely, nothing was ever a problem. Well done parknasilla, you've got some fans here. Whoever said there's no place like home wasn't staying at parknasilla. We hope to be back soon.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SarahMaMa
Generalmanagerpark, General Manager at Parknasilla Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear Sarah MaMa,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I am delighted to read that you and your family enjoyed their time at Parknasilla. I am glad that you enjoyed the courtyard lodges, they truly are a brilliant option for parents travelling with kids, to enjoy the extra space that the lodge has to offer while still have having all the facilities that the hotel has to offer.

I was also thrilled to read that you enjoyed your spa treatment and that all your family enjoyed their dining experiences. I will be sure that I pass on your regards to our Spa and Kitchen teams. They will be as equally happy to hear that you has a wonderful holiday.

I have always said that our staff here are the best feature. They have a true dedication and pride in their work. Our hotel would not be as successful without the hard work of all our staff team. They work tirelessly all year to ensure that every guest that walks through our front gates enjoys their time here with us.

Again to conclude thank you again, for sharing your experiences with us and I look forward to welcoming you back in the hopefully not too distant future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

This was my husband and I third visit to parknasilla and it is honestly getting better with each visit

The day we arrived my husband played golf which he really enjoyed
We both had spa treatments, our therapists caoimhe and Christine were excellent

The breakfast was amazing. I wish my porridge tasted like that every morning.We ate in both the bar and restaurant and the standard of food was excellent
The kayaking was a new addition this year and it is well worth doing, you can really appreciate the beauty that surrounds you
The general manager Ruth, personifies professionalism. She is so warm and welcoming to her beautiful hotel and I would say one of the reasons that the hotel has so much repeat custom

I can't wait for my next visit

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear una E,

Let me begin by thanking you for your brilliant review, I was very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I was thrilled to read that you made advantage of all the facilities that the hotel has to offer, including the our 12 hole golf course and our relaxing Parknasilla spa. I agree with you, the kayaking is a great activities for all ages to enjoy. I am also glad that you enjoyed your dining experience while staying with us. I will be sure to pass on your regards to both the kitchen and restaurant teams.

Thank you again for you kind comments and I look forward to welcoming back to Parknasilla again in the near future.

Springfield, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

This is our 5th trip to Parknasilla in the past 9 years. The last time was two years ago. It is still one of the most scenic places in Ireland even though they had some devastating storms last winter from which they are still repairing damage to the walks. In fact the walks to the south are still closed, but under repair. From past experience we now know the best location to request rooms (specific rooms the main house). Otherwise you may find you are one of the disappointed guests that have given less than complimentary reviews on TA. Since we were there 2 years ago we sense the property is better managed and the service in the restaurant/ bar area has improved. Not that is was poor then, it is just better now. Food is good. My wife visited the spa and was well pleased. Having said all this, we still give the property a very good rating and would absolutely recommend it to anyone and plan to return next year.

Room Tip: Request the main house
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Generalmanagerpark, General Manager at Parknasilla Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Dear Greybit,

Let me begin by thanking you for​ your recent review and for sharing your thoughts with us. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us and have returned to the hotel for so many years. I am always surprised by the sheer volume of return guests that come back to Parknasilla year after year and believe it is a true testament to the quality service we provide.

We did experienced very bad storms at Christmas, causing serious damages to several of our mapped walks throughout the grounds. But I am thrilled to read that this did not impede your experience and you still enjoyed the walks. I will be sure to pass on your regards to our garden and maintenance teams who are working extremely hard to restore the property to the condition it was in before the storms.

I was also please to hear that you enjoyed the dining options at Parknasilla and that your wife enjoyed the spa. All of the staff at Parknasilla take great pride in their work ensuring that all of our guests enjoy their stay. They will be thrilled to hear you were happy with your stay.

To conclude, I am delighted to read that you will be returning to stay with us here, my only hope is that you do not wait too long before your next visit. Thank you again for your wonderful review.

Warmest Regards,
cork
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

we arrived yesterday for one night that was 15th may stayed in room 314. We were booked in for bed and breakfast and evening meal. It is one of our favourite hotels to stay in Ireland and this time certainly did not let us down either... From the moment we arrived the friendly helpful staff could not do enough for us, we were so relaxed with the beautiful gardens, walks and spa it was our piece of heaven!!! It was also great value for money. There is so much on offer at the hotel with golf, tennis, horse riding, sea outings, fishing and kayaking, you would not be bored.. you have a great pool and spa facility and its so clean also.. There is wonderful character to the hotel and setting and the food is so amazing... looking forward to our next stay and thanks again to all the staff for making it all so relaxing and enjoyable..

Room Tip: Sea views are lovely and room 318 is special.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Generalmanagerpark, General Manager at Parknasilla Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Dear Sheila o,

Thank you for your brilliant review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us here at Parknasilla Resort & Spa. I am also glad that you found the room and all the facilities here at the hotel to your satisfaction.

We take great pride in the service that we provide and try our level best to ensure that all our guests, weather here for a short or long stay enjoy every minute of their break. I will pass on your warm regards to all our staff, they will be thrilled to hear that you enjoyed yourself.

Again, thank you for your kind review and for sharing your experiences with us. All of us here at Parknasilla Resort & Spa look forward to welcoming you back through our gates in the near future.

Clare, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

Stayed here recently with Family. Such a lovely area. Right on the ring of Kerry. The views are spectacular and no doubt would be even more so in sunshine - unfortunately we had rain. However this did not spoil it for us. We played Golf in the 12 hole course - tough course too! Many hills to walk between tees so it was very nice to go for a swim afterwards and relax In the outdoor jacuzzi. Helped to relieve all those muscle pains after the hilly golf course :) We stayed in the Woodlands Houses. Really lovely and very comfortable with all the facilities, well equipped with fresh, clean bed linen and towels. Beds were soooooooo comfortable. We ate dinner in the hotel restaurant at night - food very nice. Few small issues and these are not criticisms. Kitchen could do with some extra serving bowls for salads or pasta. Also we did not have mobile phone coverage in our house and this proved a big problem for us as we had to communicate with one of our party who was travelling to join us and was depending on us for directions. We had no choice but to use the landline in the house and our calls were charged. Also the taps in kitchen were quite noisy - this was also the case with bathroom taps / toilet flushing etc. Apart from that it was a very nice experience. Sneem is nearby and is lovely to visit. Some very nice places to eat. We visited the town of Kenmare also - such lovely town to visit with great shops, delicious food and really lovely people. Lovely part of the Country.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Generalmanagerpark, General Manager at Parknasilla Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
I am thrilled to read ​that you enjoyed your stay with us, and thank you for you​r wonderful review and for sharing your experiences with us. We are blessed here at Parknasilla with some of the most beautiful scenery in Ireland​,​ both in the rain and in the sunshine.

I am glad that you had time to play golf on our beautiful ​,​ but I agree ​,​ challenging 12 hole golf course, and the spa is the perfect place to relax and rejuvenate after a day on the course.

I am also delighted that you enjoyed your stay in the villas and I will certainly look into that issues that you have raised in relation to here. Our location, however peaceful and quite is quite rural, resulting in low phone coverage at times. I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the difficulties you had as a result of this.​

Again, to conclude thank you again for your kind comments and warm praise. All of us here ​at Parknasilla look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Ruth O' Sullivan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sneem
Sneem Hotel
Muckross Park Hotel & Spa
Muckross Park Hotel & Spa
#15 of 39 in Killarney
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,458 reviews

Been to Parknasilla Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!