“Fabulous hotel, food a letdown”

Parknasilla Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Sneem
GreenLeadersSilver level
Cork
“Fabulous hotel, food a letdown”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Beautiful hotel in outstanding location. My husband and I stayed for two nights to recharge the batteries. The hotel is so relaxing, it has the most comfortable armchairs and sofas. I really want to acknowledge all the staff, they were so helpful, attentive and friendly. The spa is fab and the outdoor hot tub is a little piece of heaven looking out over the sea. The bedrooms are comfy and very clean, bathrooms are bit outdated but didn't bother us! The food however was a big let down. We ate in the main dining room two nights and would only rate the starters and mains 5/10' dessert was great tho. Duck, steak and pork belly was poorest we've eaten in a while unfortunately. Breakfast could have been better also, taste rather than choice. I think the hotel could invest in a better chef.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank grainhurley
Generalmanagerpark, General Manager at Parknasilla Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear grainhurly,

Let me begin by thanking you for taking the time to complete a review. I was very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay here at Parknasilla Resort. I am glad that you found the hotel very relaxing and that all the staff were helpful and friendly. I was also thrilled to read that you enjoyed the spa and outdoor hot tub with views over the Kenmare Bay and Caha Mountains.

I was very disappointed to read that you did not enjoy the food offering here at the hotel. To be honest, we generally receive fantastic feedback in relation to the food quality here at the hotel. Our executive chef has several years experience both nationally and internationally and is one of the most professional and dedicated chefs that I have ever had the privilege to work with. He works extremely hard all year long to provide high quality and delicious foods for our guests to enjoy and I would recommend his services and expertise to anyone. He is also a brilliant teacher and ensures that every member of the kitchen team receives good training and excels in their own sections and performance.

Should you wish to discuss any element of your stay in further detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly on rosullivan@parknasillahotel.ie

Ruth O' Sullivan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
essex
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights in the Penthouse Suite, which has beautiful views over the water. The hotel is a lovely old building, very nice pool and various saunas. The food at breakfast was very ordinary, but dinner was excellent. The restaurant manager was delightful and worked very hard to ensure that all the guests were happy.There are some fantastic walks and the golf course is really pretty, but take your own clubs as they do not have any for hire. Only downside for us was that it was full of small, noisy children, which meant it was difficult to find anywhere to sit that was quiet. There are so many reception rooms that it would make sense to allocate one as a quiet room for adults only.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Generalmanagerpark, General Manager at Parknasilla Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear lynda h,

From the outset, thank you for your kind review. It ​really was a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay in our penthouse suite and all the facilities that the hotel has to offer. We are truly blessed to be located in what I believe to be one of the most beautiful locations in Ireland and I am glad that you agree with us and took the time to enjoy the beautiful scenic views, golf course and guided walks. I am sorry to read ​that you were not able to rent golf clubs, I assure you we do have clubs available for hire. After speaking with colleagues, I must apologise as they must have all been already hired out previously.

In relation to the children, we pride ourselves on being a family friendly hotel while still providing a relaxing atmosphere for adults. I am sorry this was not the case during some of the time while you were with us. I will be sure to pass on your comments to our departments heads during our weekly management meeting to see if we can address this.

General Manger
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I have been lucky enough to travel extensively/globally with work over the past 10 years (and a avid user of trip advisor!) but I have never bothered to take the time to write any sort of review until now mainly because of the "out of this world experience" I had at Parknasilla this weekend. From the second we arrived and were greeted by PJ who genuinely welcomed us and showed us to our amazing room (#343). I had last been to Parknasilla in 1994 and PJ had remembered us without is reminding him - asking about my mother. The room and views were totally amazing (see the pics from my iPhone). We spent the day chilling out on the sun lounge, gardens and library - despite the hotel being full the place is so vast and beautiful it is easy to find a quiet spot in the house or gardens and it feels like you have the whole place to yourself. We went to the restaurant for dinner/breakfast and were looked after by George and his team like royalty - all of the food was locally sourced and George recommended what to eat and drink (the rack of lamb was the best I ever tasted). Next morning we went to the new spa and only one word can describe it - WOW! I go to spa's very often and have been to numerous others in the area (Aghadoe, The Park, Sheen Falls, etc) and in London (Cowshed, Four Seasons, etc) however this was by far the most beautiful I have ever seen - I would recommend Meave for an exfoliating wrap, however there is plenty to do in the spa that is free of charge including salt/aromatherapy steam rooms and of course the outdoor hot tub! Last but by no means least a special word of mention to Ann the Head Housekeeper (and one classy lady) who made a special couple of days unforgettable. We had stopped off in Parknasilla for a few days on our way to a family wedding in Bantry and could not have gone further to ensure our stay at the resort was comfortable - everything from ensuring our room was to our satisfaction to arranging a member of her team to do my friends make-up/hair when she heard we were travelling to a wedding on the day. Ann even took time out of her busy day to chat and give us a whistle-stop tour/history of the hotel which was totally amazing.

As I have detailed above I have travelled and stayed in many places across the globe and this includes numerous places in Ireland/Kerry. Sure there are better restaurants with Michelin stars, sure there are more modern rooms etc., but NOWHERE can you experience beauty/history/scenery of the resort, the high levels of service and most importantly the genuine true Irish welcome that we received from Ann, P.J., George and their teams.

If you want an amazing experience go to Parknasilla and forget all the others!!

Room Tip: #343 was amazing - see the pics, the view alone is mindblowing
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank 2014canislupus
Dear 2014canislupus,

I cannot describe to you what a pleasure it was to read your review. Let me thank you sincerely for sharing your wonderful experiences with us. I speak on behalf of all the staff here when I say it really does affirm all the hard work that that is completed by the staff every year and motivates everyone to continue into the future. I am overjoyed that you had such a wonderful stay and enjoyed every minute and every little detail that goes into making your stay magical.

From you​r​ review, I am pleased to see that you seemed to really have experienced alot of what is on offer here in the resort. I will be sure to pass on your regards and kind comments to all the staff here. I have always said that despite the fantastic facilities available here at the resort, the staff still prove to be the biggest asset that the hotel has. Their dedication and hard work are unrivaled and they really are a major contributor to the success of the hotel. They take great pride in their work and try their level best to ensure that every guest enjoys their time away, they will also be thrilled to hear that you​ had such a wonderful time.

Again to conclude, thank you again for your brilliant review and I look forward to welcoming you to Parknasilla Resort again in the near future.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed for two nights in Parknasilla recently. Beautiful hotel on amazing grounds with good walking and sea frontage. Alas we thought our bedroom was not in keeping with a hotel of this reputation. The bedroom required upgrading and the bathroom was definitely 70's with a shower over the bath...not what one would expect. The restaurant was lovely and the dinner quite good but not spectacular. Buffet breakfast was a bit of a let down too as we felt that a cooked breakfast served to the table would be de riguer in a hotel of this qualityl. Overall a bit pretentious and overrated...sorry guys but it didn't do it for us...

Room Tip: Thought our room very average on the first floor...hope there are better rooms elsewhere in the hote...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Generalmanagerpark, General Manager at Parknasilla Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Unigis1,

Firstly, let me begin by thanking you for taking the time to complete a review. I am glad that you found the hotel and mapped walks beautiful and enjoyed the magnificent sea views that we have. I was sorry to read that you were not happy with your room. I am surprised to read this as we generally receive very positive feedback about the standard of accommodation. We welcome all feedback as it allows us to continue to maintain our standards and continue to improve in the future. I will be sure to pass on your comments to all those involved at our weekly management meeting.

Again let me thank you for taking the time to complete a review and should you wish to discuss any element of your stay in further detail please do not hesitate to contact me directly on rosullivan@parknasillahotel.ie

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Myself and the family stayed in the lodges of the Parknasilla Hotel which were really apartments in a lovely square courtyard, each with lovely seating area out the back.

We really enjoyed our stay - apartment was spotless and very spacious! Wardrobe space in the double room a little tight but everything else perfect.

We availed of all the facilities in the hotel which was just a few hundred yards walk from the apartment. Staff really friendly and very helpful. Food excellent and everything served very nicely.

Leisure complex spotless and we really enjoyed the outdoor hot - tubs overlooking the bay!! The many walks around the grounds kept us occupied for a good few hours and we're lovely.

Very centrally located to Killarney, Kenmare and the amazing scenery of the Beara Pennisula. The fabulous weather helped!

Overall we throughly enjoyed our second time here and will be back again! !

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank McComish
Dear McComish,

Let me begin by sincerely thanking you for your wonderful review. I was thrilled to read that you enjoyed your stay with us in the Courtyard Lodges. They are a ideal option for those looking for some added space while still enjoying all the facilities that the hotel has to offer. I was also pleased to read that you dined in the hotel and found everything to your satisfaction.

We are very lucky to be located on a 500 acre estate with 7 mapped walks to guide our guests through the estate. I am glad that you had a chance to enjoy some of the walks available, our garden team will be thrilled that you enjoyed them.

I am most happy that you returned to us for the second time and we are looking forward to your next visit already.

Tralee, Ireland
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Had an amazing stay at Parknasilla this weekend ...from the moment we landed we felt the warmth and kindness from the start....We were greeted by the doorman P.J who took our bags and brought us to our room..We were blown away by our room 434 suite extremely special..Then the main house keeper Anne came to introduce herself and make sure we felt at home...We walked the area sat out on the terrace and really chilled for the day..that evening we ate in the restaurant where we were greeted by John who brought us to our table with was situated in the bay window area with a stunning view..George was on hand to recommend the best wines ....The following day we both got treatments in the Elemis Spa which really was fantastic...the outdoor hot tub has great ....we are going to be returning as soon as we can ...what an experience wonderful part of the world

Room Tip: It is good to ask for a view ..we had corner suite very bright views amazing
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear tobinsas,

Let me being by thanking you for your wonderful tripadvisor review and for taking the time to complete a review after your stay. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I was also glad that you enjoyed meeting our staff and that you found them helpful and welcoming. All of the staff here take great pride in ensuring that all our guests enjoy their time with us and have restful and relaxing break away.

I am also thrilled to read that you enjoyed our Spa. It truly is a haven of relaxation and the two outdoor hot tub ares an ideal location to gaze out upon some of the beautiful scenery overlooking the Caha Mountains and Kenmare Bay.

Again thank you for taking the time to complete a review and share your experiences with us. We look forward to welcoming you through our gates again in the near future.

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We decided at the last minute to take a short break in Kerry. After a friends recommendation we booked the Woodland Villas at the Parknasilla Hotel. What a truly wonderful place to stay. The villas are of an exceptional standard with all mod cons including complimentary wi-fi. All the facilities of the hotel are included in the booking also. The food in the hotel bar, whilst being slightly pricey, was excellent as were the staff.
The villas do not intrude on each other and it's reminiscent of home from home. Sneem village is on the doorstep with Kenmare being only a 30 minute drive away. Killarney is approx 40 minutes via the spectacular Molls Gap and Ladies View. We would highly recommend the Woodland Villas especially if you have very young children. As Arnie said "we'll be back"!!

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank finbarro
Dear finbarro,

Thank you for your kind review and for sharing your experiences with us. I am delighted that your friend recommended Parknasilla as a getaway destination and that we lived up to that reputation. I am glad that you found the Woodland Villas to your liking, they are a very high standard rental accommodation that still allows for access to all the facilities that the hotel has to offer.

I am also thrilled to read that you found the food and service here at the hotel excellent, I will be sure to pass on your regards to our Restaurant and Kitchen teams. Parknasilla is located on the Wild Atlantic Way and the Ring of Kerry and in close proximity to the Ring of Beara, so we are an ideal location for exploring all of these famously scenic coastal drives.

Let me finish by thanking you again for taking the time to complete a review and I look forward to welcoming you through our gates again in the near future.

Ruth O' Sullivan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sneem
The Europe Hotel & Resort
#2 of 6 in Kenmare
The Brehon
The Brehon
#11 of 38 in Killarney

Been to Parknasilla Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!