“Lovely holiday - will return”

Parknasilla Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Sneem
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My wife and I and our 7 month old baby just spent the last six nights in one of the Parknasilla lodges and we had a lovely holiday. The two bed lodge was very comfortable, well furnished, and looked out onto a central green area shared with other lodges - mainly couples with young children. It was very quiet, respectful, friendly. Positives were the comfortable lodge, swimming pool, gym and other facilities in the hotel, very helpful and accommodating staff, really good breakfast in the lovely hotel dining room - at €15 per head is not cheap, but was a lovely treat every few days, evening dinner in the bar/lounge area which has a lovely genteel setting, nearby Sneem which is a lovely small town, and lots to see and do around Kerry. Areas to improve are more walking tracks in the hotel that take buggies - they say the paths are suitable for buggies but it is limited as most of them are too rough for baby buggies;Overall, we were very happy with our holiday and the hotel and definitely intend returning.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Generalmanagerpark, General Manager at Parknasilla Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear Colm O,

Let me begin by thanking you for taking the time to write a review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us. The courtyard lodges are very popular with young families and I am glad that you found them to your liking. I am glad that you enjoyed the facilities here at the hotel and decided to dine with us for breakfast. I am also thrilled that you found our staff friendly and accommodating.

It is interesting that you mentioned buggy friendly pathways, we are currently in the process of constructing more buggy friendly paths here for our guests to enjoy, so hopefully by the time that you return these will be completed.

To conclude, thank you again for writing a review and I look forward to welcoming you to Parknasilla again in the near future.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

On a recent trip to sheen falls in Kenmare we decided on a trip to have a coffee in parknasilla with a view to maybe staying in the future, it was a Thursday afternoon and our party of 4 arrived at the hotel which is one of the 1st hotels of this calibre that you can't drive to the main door however another side entrance is close to the parking area. On entering the hotel I noticed it was busy with few places left to sit, that said we quickly got a table and order our drinks. It only went downhill from here. Coffee tea and a coke arrived and the waitress brought over two sugar bowls with one hand so a finger in both, the decor is not only dated,but does nothing for the hotel,we went out to have a look at the grounds and were amazed at the fantastic view of the bay, while standing on fake grass,the new addition to the old building looks like a modern office block. We went inside and had a look around the rest of the hotel and it looks shabby and unloved which is such a pity,while we getting ready to leave I went to pay only to see that the staff were using a Yamaha baby grand piano as a serving station,also just as I headed out the door a guy came in from being in the pool he was wearing his trunks and put a top on before entering the lounge, but then proceeded to put a towel on the fabric chair and sat in his wet trunks,we then left and headed to see the lodges which looked far more impressive than the main hotel, again on driving out of that area you pass all the rubbish bins and storage which is just a complete turn off. We gladly drove back to sheen falls.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ian C

Dear Ian C,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your experiences with us. We value all feedback as it allows us to maintain our standards and continue to improve for the future.

I'm sorry that you were not able to drive to the main gate, we unfortunately had to close the main driveway for cars due to health and safety reasons. But there is a side door and we do offer porterage for all our guests. I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your drinks here at the hotel. I can assure you that this was not our intention and we do value all custom. I have spoken with our restaurant manager and he has informed me that he will discuss this with his staff and passes on his apologies.

I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your visit to Parknasilla and should you wish to discuss any element of your time, please do not hesitate to contact me directly on rosullivan@parknasillahotel.ie

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Beautiful hotel in outstanding location. My husband and I stayed for two nights to recharge the batteries. The hotel is so relaxing, it has the most comfortable armchairs and sofas. I really want to acknowledge all the staff, they were so helpful, attentive and friendly. The spa is fab and the outdoor hot tub is a little piece of heaven looking out over the sea. The bedrooms are comfy and very clean, bathrooms are bit outdated but didn't bother us! The food however was a big let down. We ate in the main dining room two nights and would only rate the starters and mains 5/10' dessert was great tho. Duck, steak and pork belly was poorest we've eaten in a while unfortunately. Breakfast could have been better also, taste rather than choice. I think the hotel could invest in a better chef.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank grainhurley

Dear grainhurly,

Let me begin by thanking you for taking the time to complete a review. I was very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay here at Parknasilla Resort. I am glad that you found the hotel very relaxing and that all the staff were helpful and friendly. I was also thrilled to read that you enjoyed the spa and outdoor hot tub with views over the Kenmare Bay and Caha Mountains.

I was very disappointed to read that you did not enjoy the food offering here at the hotel. To be honest, we generally receive fantastic feedback in relation to the food quality here at the hotel. Our executive chef has several years experience both nationally and internationally and is one of the most professional and dedicated chefs that I have ever had the privilege to work with. He works extremely hard all year long to provide high quality and delicious foods for our guests to enjoy and I would recommend his services and expertise to anyone. He is also a brilliant teacher and ensures that every member of the kitchen team receives good training and excels in their own sections and performance.

Should you wish to discuss any element of your stay in further detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly on rosullivan@parknasillahotel.ie

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights in the Penthouse Suite, which has beautiful views over the water. The hotel is a lovely old building, very nice pool and various saunas. The food at breakfast was very ordinary, but dinner was excellent. The restaurant manager was delightful and worked very hard to ensure that all the guests were happy.There are some fantastic walks and the golf course is really pretty, but take your own clubs as they do not have any for hire. Only downside for us was that it was full of small, noisy children, which meant it was difficult to find anywhere to sit that was quiet. There are so many reception rooms that it would make sense to allocate one as a quiet room for adults only.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Generalmanagerpark, General Manager at Parknasilla Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear lynda h,

From the outset, thank you for your kind review. It ​really was a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay in our penthouse suite and all the facilities that the hotel has to offer. We are truly blessed to be located in what I believe to be one of the most beautiful locations in Ireland and I am glad that you agree with us and took the time to enjoy the beautiful scenic views, golf course and guided walks. I am sorry to read ​that you were not able to rent golf clubs, I assure you we do have clubs available for hire. After speaking with colleagues, I must apologise as they must have all been already hired out previously.

In relation to the children, we pride ourselves on being a family friendly hotel while still providing a relaxing atmosphere for adults. I am sorry this was not the case during some of the time while you were with us. I will be sure to pass on your comments to our departments heads during our weekly management meeting to see if we can address this.

General Manger

Reviewed 3 June 2014

I have been lucky enough to travel extensively/globally with work over the past 10 years (and a avid user of trip advisor!) but I have never bothered to take the time to write any sort of review until now mainly because of the "out of this world experience" I had at Parknasilla this weekend. From the second we arrived and were greeted by PJ who genuinely welcomed us and showed us to our amazing room (#343). I had last been to Parknasilla in 1994 and PJ had remembered us without is reminding him - asking about my mother. The room and views were totally amazing (see the pics from my iPhone). We spent the day chilling out on the sun lounge, gardens and library - despite the hotel being full the place is so vast and beautiful it is easy to find a quiet spot in the house or gardens and it feels like you have the whole place to yourself. We went to the restaurant for dinner/breakfast and were looked after by George and his team like royalty - all of the food was locally sourced and George recommended what to eat and drink (the rack of lamb was the best I ever tasted). Next morning we went to the new spa and only one word can describe it - WOW! I go to spa's very often and have been to numerous others in the area (Aghadoe, The Park, Sheen Falls, etc) and in London (Cowshed, Four Seasons, etc) however this was by far the most beautiful I have ever seen - I would recommend Meave for an exfoliating wrap, however there is plenty to do in the spa that is free of charge including salt/aromatherapy steam rooms and of course the outdoor hot tub! Last but by no means least a special word of mention to Ann the Head Housekeeper (and one classy lady) who made a special couple of days unforgettable. We had stopped off in Parknasilla for a few days on our way to a family wedding in Bantry and could not have gone further to ensure our stay at the resort was comfortable - everything from ensuring our room was to our satisfaction to arranging a member of her team to do my friends make-up/hair when she heard we were travelling to a wedding on the day. Ann even took time out of her busy day to chat and give us a whistle-stop tour/history of the hotel which was totally amazing.

As I have detailed above I have travelled and stayed in many places across the globe and this includes numerous places in Ireland/Kerry. Sure there are better restaurants with Michelin stars, sure there are more modern rooms etc., but NOWHERE can you experience beauty/history/scenery of the resort, the high levels of service and most importantly the genuine true Irish welcome that we received from Ann, P.J., George and their teams.

If you want an amazing experience go to Parknasilla and forget all the others!!

Room Tip: #343 was amazing - see the pics, the view alone is mindblowing
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank 2014canislupus

Dear 2014canislupus,

I cannot describe to you what a pleasure it was to read your review. Let me thank you sincerely for sharing your wonderful experiences with us. I speak on behalf of all the staff here when I say it really does affirm all the hard work that that is completed by the staff every year and motivates everyone to continue into the future. I am overjoyed that you had such a wonderful stay and enjoyed every minute and every little detail that goes into making your stay magical.

From you​r​ review, I am pleased to see that you seemed to really have experienced alot of what is on offer here in the resort. I will be sure to pass on your regards and kind comments to all the staff here. I have always said that despite the fantastic facilities available here at the resort, the staff still prove to be the biggest asset that the hotel has. Their dedication and hard work are unrivaled and they really are a major contributor to the success of the hotel. They take great pride in their work and try their level best to ensure that every guest enjoys their time away, they will also be thrilled to hear that you​ had such a wonderful time.

Again to conclude, thank you again for your brilliant review and I look forward to welcoming you to Parknasilla Resort again in the near future.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed for two nights in Parknasilla recently. Beautiful hotel on amazing grounds with good walking and sea frontage. Alas we thought our bedroom was not in keeping with a hotel of this reputation. The bedroom required upgrading and the bathroom was definitely 70's with a shower over the bath...not what one would expect. The restaurant was lovely and the dinner quite good but not spectacular. Buffet breakfast was a bit of a let down too as we felt that a cooked breakfast served to the table would be de riguer in a hotel of this qualityl. Overall a bit pretentious and overrated...sorry guys but it didn't do it for us...

Room Tip: Thought our room very average on the first floor...hope there are better rooms elsewhere in the hote...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Generalmanagerpark, General Manager at Parknasilla Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Unigis1,

Firstly, let me begin by thanking you for taking the time to complete a review. I am glad that you found the hotel and mapped walks beautiful and enjoyed the magnificent sea views that we have. I was sorry to read that you were not happy with your room. I am surprised to read this as we generally receive very positive feedback about the standard of accommodation. We welcome all feedback as it allows us to continue to maintain our standards and continue to improve in the future. I will be sure to pass on your comments to all those involved at our weekly management meeting.

Again let me thank you for taking the time to complete a review and should you wish to discuss any element of your stay in further detail please do not hesitate to contact me directly on rosullivan@parknasillahotel.ie

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Myself and the family stayed in the lodges of the Parknasilla Hotel which were really apartments in a lovely square courtyard, each with lovely seating area out the back.

We really enjoyed our stay - apartment was spotless and very spacious! Wardrobe space in the double room a little tight but everything else perfect.

We availed of all the facilities in the hotel which was just a few hundred yards walk from the apartment. Staff really friendly and very helpful. Food excellent and everything served very nicely.

Leisure complex spotless and we really enjoyed the outdoor hot - tubs overlooking the bay!! The many walks around the grounds kept us occupied for a good few hours and we're lovely.

Very centrally located to Killarney, Kenmare and the amazing scenery of the Beara Pennisula. The fabulous weather helped!

Overall we throughly enjoyed our second time here and will be back again! !

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank McComish

Dear McComish,

Let me begin by sincerely thanking you for your wonderful review. I was thrilled to read that you enjoyed your stay with us in the Courtyard Lodges. They are a ideal option for those looking for some added space while still enjoying all the facilities that the hotel has to offer. I was also pleased to read that you dined in the hotel and found everything to your satisfaction.

We are very lucky to be located on a 500 acre estate with 7 mapped walks to guide our guests through the estate. I am glad that you had a chance to enjoy some of the walks available, our garden team will be thrilled that you enjoyed them.

I am most happy that you returned to us for the second time and we are looking forward to your next visit already.

Ruth O' Sullivan

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sneem
Sneem Hotel
The Brehon
The Brehon
#10 of 38 in Killarney
Aghadoe Heights Hotel & Spa

Been to Parknasilla Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!