“Frequent visitors, never disappointed!”

Parknasilla Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Sneem
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Have visited this hotel as a couple three times in recent years and have never, ever been disappointed. Most recent visit was in December 2012 and we had requested a room in the old part of the hotel. On check-in we were upgraded to the penthouse suite which is a 3-room suite, overlooking the sea on the "top-of-the-house". This was a very generous touch and demonstrates the really welcoming touch the team at Parknasilla have. Any time we have stayed at the hotel we have always felt very much at home, and though we stayed in quite a few well regarded and higher-starred hotels, we would always name-check Parknasilla as our favourite. The location, privacy and charm of the grounds really do lend itself to feeling like another world, very relaxing setting coupled with many walks in the surrounding parklands and the spa all add to the experience. At Christmas time the open fire is always lighting in the elegant and comfortable lounge and the staff in the dining room seem to balance professionalism with warm welcomes to perfection. Can't say enough good things about Parknasilla, really does feel like a home away from home and cannot wait to visit again soon!

Room Tip: Have personal favourite rooms but would definitely recommend paying the difference for a sea-view ro...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Generalmanagerpark, General Manager at Parknasilla Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear Kieran W,

From the outset, let me thank you for your warm comments and wonderful review. I am so pleased that you love Parknasilla as much as we do and continue to return to this magical place. I am thrilled to read that you always find the staff professional yet warm and welcoming. They truly do have an interest in ensuring that every guest enjoys their time here and goes home wanting to come back.

Christmas time at Parknasilla is truly extraordinary, and I agree with you the warm open fires and mulled wine provide the perfect backdrop to the holiday celebrations. I hope you intend on returning this year.

I am also delighted that our staff were able to offer you an upgrade to one of our premiere suites to provide that added special touch to your holiday break and that you were happy with your room.

Thank you again for such a wonderful review and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Ruth O' Sullivan

Write a ReviewReviews (2,101)

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Whilst visiting a friend in Kerry, she surprised her sister and I with a one night spa break at the above. Having looked at the marketing and indeed the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence we were so excited. The original building itself is so grand and full of character, indeed the new addition of the Lodges are in character. Unfortunately we found the furniture in our rooms rather shabby, certainly not the opulence seen in the marketing. For those rooms you pay a very high premium. We were on the third floor, and as there is no lift, rather a mission. The Spa had no ambiance, however our treatments were amazing. In order to use the pool they stipulate a swimming hat!! we didn't bother. It's redeeming features were the grounds, the vistas truly breathtaking. Our evening meal, at an additional cost, was a culinary delight. Excellent, as was the service. We had a drink in the bar prior to dinner and feel the Bar Manager should go on a Customer Service course, his manner and attitude is more suited to a Budget B&B, certainly not the calibre one would expect. Breakfast, included, was one of the best I have had anywhere, again full credit to the staff. For these reasons alone, I have rated The Parknasilla a '4 very good'. Bottom line, I would not recommend an overnight stay, but would definately recommend the restaurant, with an evening stroll.

Room Tip: No lift, but views at higher levels truly amazing
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Deborah D

Dear Deborah D,

Firstly let me thank you for taking the time to complete a review and share your experiences with us. We value all feedback here at Parknasilla as it allows us to continue to improve in the future and maintain our high standards.

In relation to your comments, I would like to apologise for our shortcomings in some areas of your stay. I would like to take this opportunity to offer explanation on some areas. In Ireland it is deemed best practice​ to wear a swimming hat in the pool for health and safety reasons, this is why our spa attendants insist on it. We are an old style hotel and due to this fact only some of our rooms are accessible by lift. We do inform all our guests of this when booking a room and try to accommodate individual needs where possible.

I was very surprised to read your comments about our Bar Manager, Maurice Moroney.​ Most of our guests truly enjoy their interactions with Maurice. He is a very dedicated and hard working ​ manager​ and has a nature rapport with all of his customers.

On a more positive note, I am thrilled that your did find your spa treatments to be of a very high standard and that you equally enjoyed your evening meal, service and breakfast in our restaurant.

Thank you again for sharing your experiences with us and if you would like to discuss any element of your stay in further detail, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

I decided to surprise my family with a short vacation, and I found this amazing hotel on the internet. I have booked a villa, as I have a big family. The hotel itself is very nice, situated on the very edge of the Atlantic Ocean with amazing view. The food in the restaurant was absolutely perfect and very good value. I was impressed with the villa I have booked, very modern, well equiped and big enough for the family. Unfortunately, one of my sons had a small accident during playing tennis and we could not enjoy our last two days. However, one of the night porters, american based on his accent, who turned out to be a certified first aider, treated my son's injured leg with an amazing care and professionalism. I was so impressed that I even forgot to say thank you. Great job and great service Parknasilla hotel! We will be back for sure.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mary Rose S
Generalmanagerpark, General Manager at Parknasilla Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear y Rose S,

Thank you for your review and taking the time to share your experiences with us. I am so delighted to read that you had a pleasant stay with us. I am thrilled that you were pleased with the villa accommodation, they truly are an ideal option for families as they provide the added space, while still having access to all the facilities that the hotel has to offer.

I am also delighted that you enjoyed the dinner food offering. I will be sure to pass on your regards to our executive head chef Peter Farndon. He and all his team work tirelessly all year long to provide and serve delicious and high quality food for all our guests to enjoy.

I am sorry to read that your son injured his leg while playing, however I am glad that Alex our porter was able to help with first aid and you found him professional and capable. I will be sure to pass on your thank you to him.

Thank you again for your kind review and I look forward to welcoming you back to Parknasilla again in the near future.

Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Did my first ever couples spa here.. Total relaxation... Loved the out door jacuzzis. Overall it was well worth€180 each.. Recommended for a nice treat. Great location and food is good. If your looking for a romantic weekend away this is it.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ainey
Generalmanagerpark, General Manager at Parknasilla Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Ainey,

I was delighted to read your review and I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am very glad that you enjoyed your couples ​spa time​, location and the food offering.

I will be sure to pass on your regards to our spa ​team as they take great pride ensuring that every guests has a pleasant visit and leaves feeling relaxed and rested.

Thank you again for your wonderful review and I look forward to welcoming you to Parknasilla again in the near future.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Myself and six friends came here as we heard the spa was lovely. Our first impression was not the best. We walked into the busy dressing room to find children running around using all the showers, hairdryers etc. It was like a creche. We decided not to go swimming as it was full of screaming children. We went out to the hot tub and there was a child there too. The sauna, steam room and relaxation are is meant for adults only, however there was a child sitting on the relaxation chairs waiting for her parents.

The treatments themselves were lovely and there is another relaxation room where you sit and relax after your treatments. However, instead of taking advantage of the magnificent scenery they have, the relaxation room is facing a bush???!!!

I totally understand that this is a family hotel and the children have the right to be in the pool and have a great time but the hotel should be able to ensure that no children enter the SPA facilities. It is a pity that they do not have a separate changing area and small infinity pool for the SPA

Room Tip: Beach front
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank sinedublin

Dear sinedublin,

Let me start by thanking you for taking the time to write a review. We here at Parknasilla value all feedback as it allows us to continue to maintain and improve our standards in the future.

Firstly, I was glad to read that you enjoyed your treatments and found your therapist to be of a high standard. Secondly, let me apologise for the circumstances you have mentioned regarding the pool and thermal suite. We are a very family friendly hotel, however we do have a policy that no children are allowed in the thermal suite and the jacuzzis. We have a life guard or pool attendant present at peak times to enforce this policy. However on this occasion we have failed you for which I apoloigse.

I had spoken with our Spa Manager after you initially emailed me to follow up and as stated in my reply email, she will revert back to you in with regard to your concerns in due course.

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

We visited for two nights with relative from australia. What a hotel. Great room , great service . The staff were unobrusive but always on hand , extremely freindly and made us feel very much at home. Check in was a breeze with such a pleasent receptionist. We used the thermal spa , the pool and the canadian hot tubs which were very pleasurable even in the rain. What a view from the hot tub. All i can say is this is a top class hotel with top class staff in a lovely part of the world . I have no faults and will absolutely be going back. Thank you parknasilla .

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Richard L
Generalmanagerpark, General Manager at Parknasilla Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Richard L,

Let me begin by thanking you for your wonderful review. I am so glad that you enjoyed your time with us and that you shall be returning to us. I am glad that you had​ time to experience some of the facilities that the hotel has to offer including the thermal suite and outdoor hot tubs.

I have always said that the staff here are the hotels greatest asset and are in my opinion irreplaceable. Their dedication and commitment to providing a top quality service for our guests is unparalleled. They have a true interest in ensuring that all our guests enjoy their stay. I will be sure to pass on your regards to them, they will be thrilled as I am to hear that you enjoyed your time and will be returning.

Again thank you for your kind review and I look forward to welcoming to Parknasilla again in the near future.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 5 July 2014

We had tried on three previous occasions to get drinks at this hotel but invariably a wedding meant the hotel was closed to visitors. Anyway on this family reunion sixteen of us called in for afternoon tea and drinks. Well did we interrupt their day! We found a suitable area to sit. Very few staff were around but eventually I found someone and asked them to take a drinks order - he said he would be along to us. After a few minutes more I found another person at reception (no one at that desk when we arrived) and made the same request. Eventually the grumpy individually came along determined not to smile or give any hint of welcome. He took the order although he was singularly unhelpful when one of the group needed help to understand which types of bottled cider were available. To be fair, when he came back all the drinks were correct and handed to the correct person. Of course, we were not asked at any point whether we wanted another round so we paid and left. No thank you or encouragement to come back. The staff were not to know whether we might have been looking to use the hotel for a future wedding or event but on the basis of that service we will not. Parknasilla has always tried to to give the impression of being something special dating back to when used to holiday in that area when we were kids. On the basis of our experience I cannot see how this had been earned especially when compared to the welcome and service we received at the Sneem Hotel just two miles away. I wish we had not bothered.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank BrennanHertfordshire

Dear BrennanHertfordshire,

Let me begin by thanking you for completing a review and sharing your experiences with us. We do value all feedback as it allows us to continue to maintain our standards and continue to improve in the future. I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your visit to Parknasilla and I wish to apologise for the poor service you feel you received.

I was very surprised to read your review as we generally receive good feedback. I am sorry that you were unable to attend on certain days due to a wedding function at the hotel. We do hold the hotel exclusive for wedding guests, however I am sorry that this inconvenienced you. In terms of the service in the bar, I am sorry that we did not meet our own standards and that you did not enjoy your time with us. I profusely apologise for this and will speak with the Bar Manager to ensure that this does not occur again.

Again to conclude I would like to thank you for taking the time to complete your review and should you wish to discuss any element of your visit in further detail, please don't hesitate to contact me directly on rosullivan@parknasillahotel.ie

Ruth O' Sullivan

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sneem
Sneem Hotel
#1 of 6 in Kenmare
Lake Hotel
Lake Hotel
#8 of 38 in Killarney

Been to Parknasilla Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!