“Great, fun place to stay”
Review of Bridge House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Skibbereen
Bridge House
Ranked #2 of 12 Skibbereen B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 May 2011

Stayed for just the one night. Fun, quirky and unusual. Beds and rooms were clean and breakfast was fab. Only downside was that we had to share a bathroom. Great stay overall :)

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Bridge House

Reviewed 8 May 2011

We had a great stay with Mona, just one night and with one night you can't see everything Mona has displayed. A great collection that keeps you looking in fear of missing something. Mona was great! Terrific sense of humor, great hostess. She gave us some great advise for our travels including visiting Mizen Head that was well worth the extra drive, we loved it. The breakfast was one of the best we had with a lot of attention to detail.

Thanks Mona for the great sleep, and I hope you haven't locked yourself out of the house too many more times....

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank glenn_joan
Reviewed 6 May 2011

Well if you are looking for minimalist contemporary edge then stay away this place is not for you. On the other hand if you are looking for unique, quirky, off the wall and like no other place you have stayed then Mona's Bridge House is for you. What can you say about a B&B that has a mannequin dressed in evening attire replete with white silk scarf and top hat in tha hall to greet you. As Mona say herself her collectables habit is a f**king disease. Long may it continue. highly recommended - the full Irish breakfast was sensational. Well done Mona Best

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 April 2011

Mona Best's Bridge House is the most relaxing and interesting B&B I've ever stayed in. I've been here only once before and had to come back again when I knew we were passing around Skibbereen. It is a destination all in its own.

Mona is such a sweetheart, she took us in on such a short notice even though she wasn't due to open again for another couple of days. After such a hectic vacation this is the perfect place to relax, enjoy the eclectic atmosphere, and possibly even bribe (Ringo?) the old pup to let you pet him.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 April 2011

Investigating the various places to stay in Skibbereen, I came across The Bridge House, names Irelands Most Unusual B&B by a well-known radio station, and instantly I like what I saw. A good friend of mine was getting married a few days later in the town and as usual, I'd left things to the very last minute regarding accommodation. As mentioned in the header, the Bridge House very definitely did exactly what it said on the tin!

Mona was a delight to deal with. Complete with purple crutch to aide her rapidly recovering broken hip, she showed us a room straight out a Victorian period drama, beautifully decorated while providing some impromptu hairdressing to my girlfriend's disintegrating hairstyle. Leaving us to our devices, breakfast was an extremely flexible affair, not restricted timewise as in other more authoritarian establishments.

And what a breakfast it was. It put the wedding day meal to shame and reignited some sorely abused tastebuds. Two courses, a fresh fruit platter followed by the most exotic full Irish that I've ever tasted. All served with piping fresh coffee. Flicking through her sign-in book, it was replete with many many other satisfied patrons. The only shortcoming was that parking was on-street, but that's nitpicking of the highest order. A highly recommendable stay overseen by a delightful proprietor!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank griffinrossi
Reviewed 31 March 2011

Wow, Reviews can't really explain this little gem in Skibbereen! Its what I call a wonderful Crazy place.. You could spend a day walking around the place looking at all the nik knacks and gems placed all over the building,
Every room is different, I had the Green and red room and then moved into the pink room, all were beautifully clean with all unique gems to look at. all rooms seemed to have a basic Tv and a sink. The bathroom was shared which was my only negative point, but to be honest it was another room full of quirkiness it was not too much of a hardship to bear for a night or two. Being Winter the rooms are heated my an electric heater which was fine for me, I was very toasty! and I am sure I could have asked for more blankets if needed! The bathroom was a little cooler and the water was warm not hot.
Breakfast is amazing, the breakfast room is yet another room of gems and the tables are set so beautifully. The food is amazing, all local produce and cooked fantastically Mona will tell you about the produce and advise when the markets are in town.
Mona is fantastic and is probably the true gem of this guesthouse, she is one of the most lovely people I have met in Ireland, she has a real passion for her place and in making sure her guests are well looked after. She has a wealth of information and was always around for a good conversation thoughout my stay. Mona even got an invite for her guests to the local art studio for a music night, I went and it was fantastic evening, great local music and singing and craic! Thanks for Mona's tip!

I cannot wait to get back to Skibbereen and I can't wait to come back and see this beautiful place in the summer with the flower baskets outside in bloom.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Xanadu1976
Reviewed 29 March 2011

We were greeted by a welcoming smile and a wooden fire in the seating room. There was never a dull glance for our eyes, from the carpets on the floor to the walls and ceilings.

Everything placed in its perfect spot. It’s not just the trinkets and décor, but also the breakfast that makes this house one of a kind. The thoughtfulness of the hostess, coffee and tea upon arrival to Michelin like presentations of food at breakfast.

Our stay at the Bridge House has been a memorable one, coupled with the exceptional convenience to the local natural beauty and the charms of West Cork.

Thank you Mona, we shall be back.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vaughan15_11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skibbereen
The West Cork Hotel
#11 of 12 in Skibbereen
Liss Ard Estate
Liss Ard Estate
#3 of 12 in Skibbereen

Been to Bridge House? Share your experiences!