“Whatever you do, don't miss out on this little gem!”
Review of Bridge House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Skibbereen
Bridge House
Ranked #2 of 12 Skibbereen B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 June 2014

An impromptu visit to Kerry, no accommodation booked, a late call to Mona and thank goodness a room was available... and what a room! What a house, what a host! The entire experience was just fantastic. Two exhausted travellers fell in the door at 11pm to find a surprise at every turn, quirky, boho chic everywhere... Into their room at 11pm, to the most comfortable bed, strewn with rose petals, soft lighting and pillows everywhere. Bliss! Breakfast the next morning was just a delight and delicious! Mona certainly knows how to look after her guests! I would heartily recommend that no matter where on the N71 your journey is taking you, take the turn off for Skibereen and stay the night at the Bridge House, it's worth it!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Bridge House

Reviewed 11 June 2014

It makes such a difference when you find a great place to stay and that's exactly what we found in Bridge House. Mona has created a wonderfully quirky home and she is the perfect welcoming hostess. Don't miss it if you are in the area. The breakfasts are to die for. Skibbereen itself is lovely and has plenty nice places to eat and drink.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sheenaw05
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We found this place late on a wet afternoon but hadn't booked and there was no-one home when we knocked on the door. Whilst we were sitting in the car deciding what to do, Mona came flying down the road on her bike, skirts flying in the breeze. She welcomed us in and gave us tea and cake. The inside has to be seen to be believed. It is crammed with Victoriana; knick knacks, books, dummies in vintage clothes and even a stuffed animal in the bathroom! Although it is full to the brim, it is very clean and well cared for. The beds were extremely comfortable and breakfast was a feast. Highly recommended if you want a change from the generic, corporate style.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank DonnaItalia7
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I absolutely LOVED this place! It's so unusual that it will have to be seen to be believed. The attention to detail from the decor to all the little touches in the bedrooms and even to the dining room is amazing. I stayed with my Fiance here, and it was so lovely and romantic aswell as the talking point of our whole trip!
Mona who owns the place is one of the most genuine nice people you could meet, she went out of her way to get me a card from the local hairdressers and gave me loads of tips about my upcoming wedding down there. Her breakfast was fab , with so much thought gone into the presentation and also the ingredients ( also filled me for the day nearly haha) The bed was so comfy - best nights sleep ever!
I am always a little dubious when staying in B&Bs rather than hotels as sometimes you don't feel as if you can come and go as you please , but defo not the feeling here, I felt totally at home:)
I'll be staying here next time I visit West Cork for sure.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Treaso
Reviewed 17 May 2014

This place we found completely by accident, the woman who ran it (who's name escapes me now) was so incredible. I was in Skibbereen looking for areas where my family originated from and she personally contacted her friend who ran the historical center and connected us! Our room was on the top floor (no elevator) and it was a comfortable double bed with a private bathroom we slept great. In the morning we were served the most delicious breakfast which started with ripe fruit and followed with eggs toast bacon and all the fixings! Coffee and Orange juice!
This location is very central its right in the heart Skibbereen, walking distance to everything, shops, great pubs, night life etc, there is also free parking on the street! I highly recommend this place for any traveler!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I just came for a couple of nights to see the islands of west cork and i staid longer then i expected. Every day is a different day; there is so much going on in this house, it changes everyday. This house has a character and the lovely Lady `Mona` who makes it special.
Very lovely place, welcoming and unusual.
You have to see it yourself.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 May 2014

The Bridge House really is no ordinary guesthouse. It resembles something out of a Tim Burton movie, or something from a magical child hood dream. Tucked away on the quaint street, on the outside it would draw any passer by in. It is beautiful on the outside and inside. Once I was welcomed by Mona, my visual senses went wild with all the beautiful objects and ornaments placed together. It's 'rock and roll meets vintage' yet there is a timeless and dynamic feel to the atmosphere.
The rooms have their own little colour scheme. I stayed in the Pink Room. Not wanting to leave the bed in the morning, I couldn't help but think that it was like a dolls house. Its delicate and feminine, as well as having classic features of a Victorian bedroom. I also had a sneak peek at the other rooms, which were labelled 'Green' and 'Blue.' What is great about these spaces is that they are completely different to one another, with their own little story to tell. The Green room has two beds, but mainly defines itself by having red and white features. The wall paper is the same texture as Zebra skin, there are pretty mirrors and paintings on the wall. It is as if every little ornament found its place and compliments the environment.
The Blue room, with its grand double bed and feather like mosquito net, is romantic and peaceful. There are books on classic movie stars, as well as a big country drawer. The little bathroom at the back is simply adorable. The pink carpet gives a warm feel. It is essentially very chic.

The star of the show, is of course the magnificent Mona Best. With her quirky alternative dress sense and lively sense of humour, she'll make you feel at home. Her knowledge of Skibbereen is outstanding, as well as areas within West Cork. She is also a great conversationist, and knows how to keep everything on its toes.

The Breakfast could not be any better. I loved how it was a starter and main course. The starter being not your average fruit salad! Slices of melon, kiwi, raspberries, etc being presented in an art form. As the old saying goes, we really do eat with our eyes. It was then followed up by a hearty, warm fry up. Local meats, juicy tomatoes, mushrooms, olives, etc. Everything looked pretty, tasted divine. Nice tea and coffee, as well as a chance to try a wide variety of herbal teas too.

Overall, The Bridge House, with its quirky charm is a treasure nobody can miss. In my opinion, it should be the Queen of Bridge Street. Will definitely visit again. Its something different for the travelling senses.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skibbereen
The West Cork Hotel
#11 of 12 in Skibbereen
Liss Ard Estate
Liss Ard Estate
#3 of 12 in Skibbereen

Been to Bridge House? Share your experiences!