“A great experience”

Cork
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“A great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Enjoyed my trip to Island Cottage.It was a lovely night.We had pre dinner drinks n Minihanes Bar on the mainland and had a lovely boat trip to Island where we had a drinks reception followed by a beautiful meal..We ate and sipped wine till midnight.Then we had a torch lit walk to boat which was lovely.Went back to Minihanes where we had a great sing song.A truly rare and fab experience.A definite must "TO DO.".
Mags.

Visited September 2013
4 Thank Margaret M

Pellston, Michigan
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Three Star Cuisine on a Three Star Island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2013

This restaurant is not for everyone, they serve a prix fixe menu using the very freshest local ingredients possible and cooked with the utmost skill by John Desmond, a world renowned chef.
Artists are often peculiar in temperament, but you come for the meal and the island ambience.
I have had many different meals there that have always been creative and delicious and complemented by the superb local Gubbeen cheese. If you are lucky, your may book on a night that John is making his spectacular soufflé crepes for dessert! Go with an open mind and enjoy!

Visited May 2012
3 Thank Spiritcook
Irish in Hertfordshire
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Same menu two years in a row!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012 via mobile

The first visit I made here I enjoyed. Yes the owners are not very warm but the food was excellent & we enjoyed chatting to the other guests. I can understand the limited menu as this is an island with no shops, however I was stunned on my second visit a year later to be served the exact same menu. Not good when there is no choice!

2 Thank DunnaSead
Dublin, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Awesome food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2011

Clearly the other reviews (even though they are 2 years old) failed to get what this is all about. I heard about this place 20 years ago when my mother went (and she loved it) and didn't think of it since until the idea got a spin recently and a few of us went for it.
We understood that it would be different before we even got there so we were prepared for the particular hostess. She did insist on things being on her terms (it is her home) and did appear a little cold at first.
In terms of the overall experience that didn't impact one little bit. We were left to our own devices and allowed enjoy our own company, little to no fuss and we were absolutely blown away by the food. It was awesome. It blows away some Michelin star meals I've eaten. There were 22 eating there the same evening and all had the same to say. There is no pomp or ceremony just delicious food. It clearly is a novelty thing but I will do it again and hopefully not too far away.

Visited August 2011
3 Thank ArchieFartie
Hampshire
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Novel idea but grossly overpriced and lacking in any warmth”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2009

The plus points:
A novel idea ..a restaurant in a cottage on an island accessible only by ferry. A nice walk up the lane to the cottage.
The negative points
The owners have been doing this for 20 years and it shows. A production line experience from arrival to departure . No warmth at all despite being in their cottage. The owner/chef doesn't beven bother to welcome you.
Everything on their terms, fixed menu,seating(my chair was inched into an exact position!) even had to pass nibbles around amonst other guests. Owner's wife would not help serve wine ("can't ..its against planning rules")
Food poor. For Euro 45 Bean stew, Leg of duck with potatoes,no veg, a slice of cheese 2inches by ! inch and the thickness of a ruler and ice cream and choc sauce. Any interest in the food has londg gone in this money making machine.
Evening ended with a call to leave "now" to get ferry.

Avoid,really avoid