“Westlodge Hotel & Leisure Centre”
Review of Westlodge Hotel

Westlodge Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Bantry
Cork, Ireland
“Westlodge Hotel & Leisure Centre”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Being a regular visitor over the years I have seen that the many subtle improvements of the last few months have brought the Westlodge Hotel on no end. The food was excellent ( great to see local beef back on the menu ), service with a smile and friendy staff and management have all added to make the trips better and better. Though the hotel was very busy this weekend we enjoyed the 2 night break. The remaining little changes to come will only further enhance the hotel.
Thanks to everybody at the Lodge for a relaxing weekend.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Leonard O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Ireland
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I have stayed in the Westlodge Hotel over the May Bank holiday for the last no. of years. This is a family run hotel with super friendly staff, genuinely interested in looking after their guests. They even remember me from previous years!
As a light sleeper, I specifically asked for & got a room away from any noise. This means a lot when one is due to run the annual half marathon the following day!

In addition this year, I managed to leave my swimming togs behind in the leisure centre! When I contacted them, Sarah in the pool had them & posted them to me - no hassle whatsoever.

For genuinely good value, lovely staff & beautiful location you can't beat this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
laoid
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We arrived for a one night stay. Driving up to the hotel the scenery was just beautiful.. Unfortunately thats where the niceties stopped!! Check in was quick and easy and the staff seemed friendly. The decor in the main reception was tired and it was obvious from our arrival that there was a wedding under way. We made our way to our room for the night only to be greeted by a long hall of worn out carpets and doors that would be more at home in a hostel not a supposed 3 star hotel in the room itself it was more of the same unfortunately just the basics were inadequate.... one plug socket in the room. what about charging items???? none by the bed and not to mention the pillows seemed a very low standard . We tried to have dinner in the bar because "the restaurant was too busy" we were waiting about 20 min for the mains to come out which was average at best then to be told when I went to order dessert that the "kitchen is closed for an hour whilst we serve the wedding"??? Surely this was some sort of a joke. There has to be some sort of balance at the end of the day we were also paying guests with every intention of being return guests only to be made feel like an inconvenience to their day... overall very very disappointed with the hotel could easily find much nicer hotels for much the same price and a higher qualiy.

• Stayed May 2014
5 Thank redzer1

Travellers are raving about these Bantry hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

The main reception entrance area looks like it was put together with a few bits of left over chipboard, not at all welcoming, then you go into the actual reception, nice and bright but that's when any sort of welcome stops. Check in straightforward enough, however I asked the receptionist of she had any brochures / information on Mizen Head "You might find something over there" she said whilst pointing vaguely to some brochures, I asked if she knew whether the visitor centre at Mizen Head would still be open (it was 5pm at this point). She had no idea. Given it's such a tourist pull and only 25 minutes from the hotel I was surprised at her lack of knowledge. Then we went to our room, given it has a 3 star rating, it, in my opinion, barely made 2 stars! Room very basic, previous tenants socks found down the back of the radiator, carpet not properly vacuumed.. When we finally located the tea/coffee making facilities, found the kettle flex had no chance of reaching the nearest power socket to the table, so kettle had to be boiled on the floor, not the safest thing to do, and definitely not easy for those less mobile guests (thankfully not us). Next morning woken from 6am by other guests checking out early, bedroom doors don't close, they SLAM!!! Went for breakfast to find that all hot food was pre-cooked and sitting on hot plates, leaving it with a rubbery texture. Restaurant staff were pleasant enough, however they seemed half hearted about everything. Then upon speaking to another guest, we were advised that the hotel was actually in the hands of the receivers, waiting to be hopefully be rescued by some financial group. This explains an awful lot about the whole feel of the hotel, it's tired, it's dated and the staff appear to be just going through the motions. Given the hotels excellent location and fabulous 24 acres of parkland it does nothing to entice you into wanting a return trip. £80 for the room and breakfast extortionate!!!

Room Tip: I wouldn't recommend a room, as the noise from doors closing in other rooms is awful. I would im...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MaryRuss2014
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Just back from a fab weekend at Westlodge Hotel. There were 50 adults and 12 children in our
group celebrating a birthday. From time of check-in on Friday to departure on Sunday staff
could'nt be more helpful and friendly. Breakfast on both mornings was excellent and might I
say very fresh and hot (unlike other comments I read on tripadvisor). Our dinner on the
saturday night as one big group was served without fault by the friendly staff in the dining
room. We used the bar on both nights during our stay and on the saturday night had a
little bit of music for our birthday celebration.
Overall for price and comfort I would highly recommend this hotel for family breaks.
"The Kenny Gang"

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
ireland
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Stayed in this hotel in August 2013 and was very disappointed would never ever stay here again, rooms were very poor stains on carpets i was certainly glad my kids were past the age for crawling on the floors. Breakfast was not good very little to choose from and very badly laid out. Restaurant and bar food not great. Bantry was lovely - will certainly go back but would never go back here.
Staff are very nice and friendly really this is the only thing this hotel has going for it.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank jude n
PatrickGill, General Manager at Westlodge Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
We are sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with our hotel. Our hotel is being currently updated, which is a lengthy process. We have checked with staff on duty at the time of your visit and you do not appear to have made your dissatisfaction known to them at the time. Had you done so, we would have offered you an additional menu, and also a different bedroom.
Please contact me in the coming days so i can arrange a return overnight visit for you and your family, with meals included
Best regards
Patrick Gill
Limerick
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Hello, I am not a regular Tripadvisor visitor / contributor, but I do get annoyed at some of the negative comments I see here, some totally unjustified, I think it is easy to hide behind a keyboard and an anonymous identity but think carefully first because what you write can badly affect a genuine business trying to do its best, I have checked some TA reviews for hotels/guesthouses I have stayed in and they bear no relation to what my wife & myself experienced, the old adage: "you only hear one side of the story" especially applies here. Some of the comments are vexatious and subjective in my opinion, and I always say to people to try for themselves and don't take a TA review at face value. I am writing this at the moment from my laptop in the lobby of the WestLodge and have thouroughly enjoyed it so far, lovely comfortable bedroom, great shower/hot water (as a hillwalker this is so important), nice friendly staff and lovely food and good pints of Guinness..... I get so annoyed when people hen-peck about 'dated' decor etc - I bet my life on it that their own houses are not much better, and that the hot water takes a while to get to the bathroom! Lighten up for God's sake and give places a break. I have stayed in hotels in the UK and Europe and the WestLodge along with most Irish hotels are streets above what I have experienced abroad, my only fault with Irish hotels is that they do not make better effort to plug themselves abroad and promote their great value, I say this from experience having paid upwards of the equivalent of €150 for a nights B&B for the two of us in pretty mediocre hotels abroad.I have no children myself but if I had, I would prefer a hotel to be family friendly and pass on the savings from not having Wilton carpets and gold plated taps, and make a family holiday more affordable. In my opinion, I would heartily recommend the WestLodge, especially if you have kids, we certainly want to come back here and explore more of the lovely walking here, it is a great base for the Sheeps Head Way. Leisure centre is a great bonus here, I have not had the time to use it but few family hotels can boast such a facility. Please ignore some of the poor comments you see here and try for yourself!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Peter H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bantry
Maritime Hotel
#1 of 3 in Glengarriff
The West Cork Hotel
The West Cork Hotel
#1 of 1 in Skibbereen

Been to Westlodge Hotel? Share your experiences!