“Great Food, great Atmosphere”
Review of The Brick Oven

The Brick Oven
Ranked #3 of 39 Restaurants in Bantry
Price range: US$6 - US$25
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, European
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dublin, Ireland
“Great Food, great Atmosphere”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

My partner and I visited The Brick Oven on a Saturday evening as we passed through Bantry on the strong recommendation from a friend. The recommendation was not of the mark and we had a thoroughly enjoyable meal. For starters we got the Crab Claws and Mussels which were really fresh and tasty. For mains I got the Rib-eye steak which was a generous size and cooked perfectly to my liking. My partner got the Sea Bass which was served with a creamy sauce with sweet chilli. The staff was friendly, the service was excellent and the whole cost was very reasonable. We’ll definitely come back again the next time we pass through and will happily add to our friend’s praises.

• Visited November 2013

cork
“Won't be back”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

My wife and I went to the Brick Oven on Sunday October 27th. I was delighted to see that the menu catered for coeliacs. Before ordering I informed the waitress that I needed my food to be strictly gluten free. We ordered the chicken wing and goats cheese for starters which was in fairness very good. For the mains I ordered the rib-eye steak and my wife ordered the sirloin. The steaks were big but awful. The meat was poorly cooked and was almost impossible to cut with steak knifes which were not provided until we asked for them. The steaks were extremely disappointing to say the least. Having ate half of my portion of chips I tasted some batter from something else. I asked the manageress if the chips were gluten free and she abruptly replied that they couldn't guarantee it as they were cooked with food that had gluten. This was a terrible end to what was a terrible experience. We spent €90 (including wine) in this restaurant which was far too expensive for the standard of food presented for the main course.

• Visited November 2013
3 Thank 178gerry
westcork1, Manager at The Brick Oven, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant and I am very sorry to read you had what you felt was a terrible experience with us.

We do indeed cater for coeliacs on our menu with a C donating what items are coeliac friendly printed on our menu. We use the word “friendly” as opposed to “free” because our kitchen caters for a wide variety of menu items and the fact we specialise in pizza and flour is ever present therefore it is impossible to have a gluten free area. While our chips are homemade fries with no additives they are not cooked in a gluten free kitchen and yes indeed are fried along with other items and so we do not highlight them as a coeliac friendly item on the menu.

It is good to hear that you enjoyed our starters.

One of our steps of service is to always provide a steak knife on the plate as part of the plate presentation with every steak that leaves the kitchen as I believe this was also the case when you were presented with your meal which I confirmed on review of your meal on our security system. Our steak knives are silver slim handled knifes which were presented on your plate as opposed to the more traditional wooden handled knife which I see you were also brought after requesting them.

I was shocked to read what you had to say about our steaks as this was not brought to our attention once while you were with us. All our staff and I ensure to check back with every table during their meal so that if they are unhappy we may be given the opportunity to rectify the situation. We again ask every customer how everything was while taking payment but at no point did you inform us of any of these issues.
Our main aim is to ensure everyone leaves happy and when given the opportunity to attempt to rectify the situation I always ,as the manager ,do everything in my power to do this. I am sorry you did not give me the opportunity to do so in this case. I do recall we spoke briefly as I was passing with an armful of plates with your question my response to you is the standard response I give to everyone who esquires about our fries being gluten free and was by no means intended to be in an abrupt manner.
At no point did you highlight that you were unhappy with your steaks. The Ribeye and Sirloin come from 2 different suppliers and on the rare occasion there can be an issue with quality of meat we had not received any negative feedback over the busy bank holiday weekend in this regard. Our Sirloin is a very popular item on our main menu and the Ribeye was a popular specials dish all weekend. Ours chefs were upset to hear you felt they were “poorly cooked” and “impossible to cut “as they take great pride in every dish that is served . I was also surprised to see on review on our camera that both were completely finished .

Our Sirloin Steak is the most expensive dish on our varied priced menu at €23.50 and the Ribeye as a special is in the same price range , the starters average at €7 each and our house wine starts at €21.00 which would add up to €45 per person for your meal. While I agree no one should pay good money for bad food had you brought it to my attention or had you returned your steaks asking for new ones or even mentioned to me once you were not happy to pay for your meal I would not have asked you to.
As you can see from all our other positive reviews on tripadvisor I take great pride in enduring that every customer leaves happy.
We encourage feedback from every single guest so that we can provide the best quality service and experience and am sorry you did not feel this was the case .
Cork
“Nice meal”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Had an enjoyable meal which was reasonably priced in late afternoon. Nice décor and friendly staff. Would go back.

Visited October 2013
Cork, Ireland
“Very relaxing atmosphere great staff and great food”
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

We were staying in the maritime so deceided to try the brick oven my son and his girlfriend had pizza my husband had lamb shank which fell off the bone I had warm chicken salad now my son did say he thought the pizza could have been a bit better but overall good value for money

• Visited September 2013
“Original atmosphere”
Reviewed 7 October 2013 via mobile

Very atmospheric and original restaurent.
Good food end good service.
The restaurent has a central location on Wolftone square.
Thats add to the good atmosphere and make it easy to find.
Have a cup of coffe and a muffin, while you plan you trips around the beutiful area around Bantry bay.

• Visited July 2013