“Very enjoyable outing!”

Bantry House & Garden
Ranked #2 of 26 things to do in Bantry
More attraction details
Owner description: Bantry House and Garden is a stately home in southwest Ireland situated right on Bantry Bay with panoramic views of the bay and the caha mountains. The estate is owned by Egerton and Brigitte Shelswell-White and is managed by their daughter Sophie and her partner Josh. It has been in the family since the 1700s. The house contains original furniture and objects d'art. The garden is laid out over 7 terraces with a fountain, large wisteria circle and 100 steps leading up to the woodland. The house, garden and tearoom is open to the public daily from easter to october. The estate hosts weddings, music festivals and fairs. We have a separate review page for our B&B accommodation.
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

I visited the gardens only with my husband so can't comment on the house. We began with refreshments from the tearoom which we were able to enjoy on the outside area along with the newly acquired hens who were very interested in our cake. It was a novelty I guess. We did have to return a slice of coffee cake which was very dry and inedible but it was replaced. The gardens were very pleasant and we walked up the windy path (aptly named Old Ladies Walk I think!) to see the view as neither of us has a good balance so couldn't attempt 100 steps without a rail. We watched with fascination at children who ran up and down the steps. Can I make a suggestion of a bench or two up at the viewpoint. We needed a sit down when we got there and in any case it would be very nice to sit and admire the view for a while. We were blessed with sunny weather so especially enjoyed our day. Well done on making it a beautiful place.

sophiemanager, General Manager at Bantry House & Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Thank you for your suggestions. They have been taken on board. I am so glad you enjoyed your visit and I hope your next visit will be even better.
Yours truly,
Sophie Shelswell-White

Reviewed 23 June 2014

The views from Bantry House are amazing. Spectacular views over Bantry Bay. The interior of the house is like walking into a different era. Definitely worth a visit.

1  Thank Ailers22

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. I am delighted you enjoyed it so much and I hope your visit spurs you to return,
Yours truly,
Sophie Shelswell-White

Reviewed 13 June 2014

We were here on a rainy day and it was still lovely. The grounds are beautiful with a lovely view of the bay. The wisteria garden is especially lovely. You can tour the house on your own. When in the library it is easy to imagine the french doors open and sitting enjoying a book or the view. There is a B&B on the grounds and I understand that the guests can use part of the house in the evenings. We also enjoyed a nice lunch at the little place attached to the House.

sophiemanager, General Manager at Bantry House & Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Thank you for visiting us and enjoying your time in the garden (even in the rain). Sometimes I think the wisteria comes up even better on a grey day.
best wishes, Sophie Shelswell-White

Reviewed 5 June 2014

surrounded by a perfect bay and the furniture was all authentic. The gardens outside were beautiful as well.

sophiemanager, General Manager at Bantry House & Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Thank you for your kind review of your recent visit, I a, so glad you enjoyed yourselves here in Bantry.

Best wishes, Sophie Shelswell-White

Reviewed 1 June 2014

My wife and I spent a night here last week. So glad we did. There are 6 rooms available. Our room wasn't indicative of the house itself in that it wasn't uber old world charm, but it was nevertheless very spacious, quiet, modern and nice. It's a 15 minute walk to town for restaurants and shops.

With the room, you are allowed to do a self guided tour of the house and gardens which would have cost us 11 euro per person otherwise. The house is amazing, as are the gardens. And the views from the huge front yard are wonderful! So glad we made the stop.

Plus it was a convenient base from which to drive to the Mizen Head peninsula and visitor center, which were worth the drive (in good weather, which we had).

sophiemanager, General Manager at Bantry House & Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Thank you for your review and for visiting us last month. I am so glad you enjoyed your time in this part of the country and that the weather gave you the opportunity to visit us and the Mizen.
Best wishes, Sophie Shelswell-White