“Worth the splurge to stay in such a grand house”
Review of Bantry House B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bantry
Bantry House B&B
Ranked #2 of 26 Bantry B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My husband and I decided to splurge for one night of our UK/Ireland trip and we couldn't have been happier with the Bantry House. Staying at the Bantry House was like experiencing part of history. Our room was quite large and faced the front of the house and Bantry Bay. The room was elegantly decorated, the bed was incredibly comfortable and the bathroom was by far the nicest I've experienced while traveling. We thoroughly enjoyed walking through the grounds, which are beautifully maintained, and exploring the house on our own. Although one could walk into town or the Bay from the house, the walk was down a long dark road and we ultimately felt safer driving. Later that night we explored the library which was breathtaking; we even attempted that evening to sit by the fireplace to relax, but ultimately the cold from such a large room brought us back to our room. We loved walking around the rest of the house the next day - included in the price of the room - and appreciated seeing what an amazing part of history the Bantry house is. Kudos to whoever made our breakfast the next morning...it was delicious!
Overall, a magical stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in an amazing room on the 2nd floor facing the front of the house and the water. Extraord...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sldarb1
SophieSW, General Manager at Bantry House B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Thank you for your great review it's always good to read we are doing a good job here! I'm sorry you felt cold in the Library even with the fire, I would have been happy to offer you blankets and will consider having some readily available for guests in the future.

Best wishes, Sophie Shelswell-White

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at this magical and special place. The house, the gardens and the surroundings were simply magnificent. We liked being able to stroll around the house and sit in the library or use the billiard room. We felt really special.
Breakfast was heavenly as far as quality, quantity and choice was concerned. I've never had a better breakfast in my life. The fruit salad was a real and unforgettable treat.
The room was big and very well furnished, the bathroom was clean, very well appointed, had good toiletries and boasted a floor heating.
The personnel was very friendly and professional.
The only possible improvement I would make would be to substitute the not so new carpet with a nice wooden floor, a much better and more hygienic choice. Afterwards this place would simply be perfect.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Kenlodwa

Thank you for staying with us and your very positive review. I will take your idea on board and look into the carpet when we do our maintenance review later this year. Our carpet is cleaned to a very high standard and does provide warmth underfoot and less noise from other rooms.

I am so glad you enjoyed the breakfast which we are very proud of.
Best wishes to you and your family, Sophie Shelswell-White

Reviewed 3 August 2014

My wife, two young adult girls and I had the pleasure of staying at Bantry House B&B. One of the best nights in our entire Ireland tour. The welcome was great. We had afternoon tea in the Library where the food was delicious and large enough to be dinner for the girls and my wife. At the close of the day, the gardens, game room, sitting areas and library became the private domain of the people staying in the B&B. My wife and oldest curled up by the fire in the library and read. Our other daughter took a leisure stroll and some private time reading in her spacious room. I enjoyed the honor bar at in the sitting room before joining my wife in the library for an entertaining conversation with a couple traveling from Belgium. What an enjoyable place to stay!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Tim F
SophieSW, General Manager at Bantry House B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear TimF
it was lovely to have your family with us and so glad you enjoyed everything. The Library is a special room to have afternoon tea so I am glad you indulged in that treat!
Perhaps we will see you here again on another trip,

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We booked early enough that we got what is apparently the best guest room - room 25. It was a lovely large room with many windows looking out over the bay, and two comfortable large armchairs to sit in and watch the world go by. My husband thought the bed was a little firm (he often thinks that!), but I thought it was very comfortable. The bathroom was large and comfortable, the amenities were lovely, and made in Ireland, and there was plenty of hot water. The internet had recently been boosted, so we got very fast (free) internet right in the room.
There were a few rooms in the house that guests had free access to. There was a very nice little sitting area just above the reception, with a well equipped honour bar. We didn't make use of any of the extra rooms, since truthfully, our bedroom was so lovely and spacious. But we did use the honour bar a few times.
It was lovely to be able to walk on the grounds of this beautiful and historic home, when all the "day trippers" were gone. The gardens have been brought back from many decades of neglect in the last century, and it is truly amazing what has been accomplished.
Bantry House is in a perfect location to do day trips to several of the area peninsulas - including Mizen, Sheepshead, and Beara. We stayed 4 nights, and that seemed about right for the area, although another night or two would not have been too much.
Breakfast was delicious, the coffee was very good, and the biscuits that were on the side board - yum!
The price seemed reasonable for the accommodation. The only thing I would possibly not recommend, although I hesitate, since she was lovely, would be to take a tour of the house with Sophie, daughter of the family, who lives in residence. It was interesting and very nice, but relatively short, and relatively expensive.

Room Tip: Room 25 is the best. There is another bedroom on the next level down which is also an end room, and...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank suec89
sophiemanager, General Manager at Bantry House B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

Thank you for your review of Bantry House in such detail. I am glad you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us from the room, to the breakfast and so much more. I sincerely apologise for a short guided tour this was not my intent and would happily have spent more time with you if you would have liked me too.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

It isn't often you actually get to stay in one of the grand mansions that people pay just to visit. This one is as grand as any, and is still owned and managed by the family that were here in the eighteenth century. The 6 guest rooms have been very well prepared for guests, with thoroughly modern facilities. It is lovely to sit in the library in the evening.
The gardens are magnificent, and well worth spending time in. Yes it is expensive, but you only live once.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MiddleagedCouple75
SophieSW, General Manager at Bantry House B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Hello,
I am truly happy that you enjoyed your stay so much. Thank you so much for your lovely review and I hope that your visit will spur you to return in the future and stay with us again.
Kindest regards,
Sophie Shelswell-White

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Had a really great time at Bantry House. Proffesional and efficient service. Very clean air. Food fresh and well-cooked. Very quiet room with a great view. Staff very helpful. Took a long meandering walk early morning and felt I had the entire estate to myself. A slight touch of mist on the air only added to the magic.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank KateOD2014

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and got to see the grounds in its prime. I hope to see you return in the future.
Kindest regards,
Sophie Shelswell-White

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Our overnight visit to Bantry House was a splurge to celebrate making it halfway through our 21-day Irish holiday. The rooms were large, the grounds fun to walk through. (We didn't actually visit the house, however, not knowing if we could or not. We did relax in the library for a few minutes, however.) Yes, the price was a little steep compared with the "average" B&Bs, but hey!, we were on holiday, and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. (Besides, no other place offered us bathrobes!) And just a short walk to "downtown" Bantry.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank captcalculus
sophiemanager, General Manager at Bantry House B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Thank you for staying and your review. Delighted to think you saved your splurge for us! I am sorry you didn't realise that you could visit the formal rooms of the house that is of course included in your stay. Perhaps you can plan your return trip to Ireland and spend another night with us. I would be more than happy to show you around personally.
Regards, Sophie Shelswell-White

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bantry
Maritime Hotel
Parknasilla Resort & Spa
Glengarriff Park Hotel
Glengarriff Park Hotel
#1 of 3 in Glengarriff

Been to Bantry House B&B? Share your experiences!