“Doorway to overlooked beauty”
Review of Maritime Hotel

Maritime Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Bantry
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Chicago, Illinois
“Doorway to overlooked beauty”
Reviewed 4 December 2013

The Maritime Hotel is located in Bantry, Co. Cork Ireland. It is in the heart of this small town with spectacular views of Bantry Bay from all rooms in the front of the hotel. Rooms are very modern as the hotel building is less than 10 years old. By European standards they are very spacious and include A/C and flat screen TVs. They are very clean and well maintained. The pub on the ground floor is a beautiful room that serves a variety of drinks and very good food. The restaurant serves a fine buffet breakfast with excellent and unusual specials cooked per order as well as excellent dinners each evening with an emphasis on local seafood and meats. There is an indoor swimming pool and health club that help relax after touring this most beautiful part of Ireland. Because of it's proximity to Killarney and Dingle, west Cork is often overlooked by American visitors, though Europeans know all about it. Bantry is a very cultured town thanks to Bantry House, well preserved Manor House and still lived in by descendants of its original British owners. House and garden are open for tours. It's just a few hundreds years from the Maritime. Bantry also holds classical music and literary festivals each summer that are highly regarded throughout Europe.
Given the quality of this hotel, rates are very reasonable. A free underground parking garage adds to the value of this gem of a hotel that opens the door to this often-overlooked part of scenic Ireland. After many stays at the Maritime, we anxiously look forward to our next one.

Room Tip: By all means, ask for a room facing the Bay.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
MaritimeManager_12, Manager at Maritime Hotel, responded to this review, 14 December 2013
Dear Dan M

As a senior Tripadvisor reviewer I can just say thank you for what you wrote about the Maritime & Bantry. It is a very simple yet descriptive analysis of the hotel and what the town has to offer. I am very appreciative of your mentions of the staff and will be passing your comments on to the team here. We look forward to having you back at some time in the future.

Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
Clogheen, Ireland
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I have stayed in this hotel on many occasions, I would consider it to be one of my favourate hotels in the west cork region. The decor of the rooms are to the highest standards.
I found the management and staff of the hotel to be friendly & very helpful. The bar is very modern & the food is just fab plus not over priced! But the most striking feature, is the amazing view of Bantry bay when you awake in the morning! thats if you are lucky enough to get a room at the front!
Well done to all involved, I'll be back!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Dear willfmoore

Thank you for the kind review you posted on Tripadvisor. I am delighted that we are giving our regular clients a consistency of service that they have come to expect of us. I can assure you the team here will appreciate your comments when I show them.

I loved your comment about the view when you wake up, being resident here for a number of days per week I too am amazed at the view which changes with the cloud formation so no two views are ever quite the same.

Again my thanks

Navan, Ireland
Reviewed 27 November 2013

My Fiancé & I picked this Hotel for it's leisure area as we needed a wind down couple of days and that means a Pool is priority. We did check on here before booking and were a little anxious after some of the reviews but as we liked the look of said Pool Area we thought what the heck.
On arriving we were very taken with the location of the Hotel & very pleasantly surprised by the warm welcome we received from a very nice young lady who checked us in efficiently and who later on recommended places to stop into in the Town later on.
We had booked a suite and it certainly impressed! Sure it had a "lived in" feel but was spotlessly clean and well appointed with the most wonderful view ( & proper mugs).
Yes, we did get the traffic noise from early on the next morning but we knew to expect it and in fairness it was no louder that hotels in Dublin.
Breakfast on both mornings was generous & tasty and we never felt rushed (especially on the second morning which was hectic) and over all there was a lovely relaxed feel to the place.
The leisure area was lovely - again very clean and there was complimentary coffee for patrons, not something I've seen in other hotels. Again, no one rushing us out of the place as it neared closing time & both the staff we encountered there were lovely.
On the second day we were too tired after the Sheep's Head walk to go down town to eat so settled for bar food and it was really good - no stingy portions but I did feel the 2 staff were a tiny bit ran off their feet. Having said that they were friendly and our order was spot on.
We were sorry to leave, our 2 night stay was too short but we will be back next year as it's an ideal base for exploring one of the loveliest parts of the Country .
A little tip:
See if you can get talking to Philly, the handy man. He's one of the friendliest and most helpful people we've encountered and is a wealth of knowledge on where to go & what to do around Bantry. He's a real asset to The Maritime.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear JTMoomin

Thank you for your very kind Tripadvisor review. I was delighted to note that you received all the personal service that our guests have come to expect, even from Philly in maintenance.....yes a goldmine of local information.

It is great to be able to say that the standards, particularly of welcome and service, are what the team here are normally so good at. I will be passing on all your comments to all the team and I'm sure they will appreciate them as well.

We look forward to having you back.

Dublin
Reviewed 24 November 2013

The Maritime is a lovely hotel in terms of its decor and location. Unfortunately they are let down by their staff. They were unable to find our booking despite having used a rather well known website. Check-In was alarmingly lengthy and bureaucratic. We were then placed in a remote part of the hotel that required an elevator, then a long walk, then another elevator and then another long walk. It was fine for me but it was an awful walk for my elderly relative. We went out for dinner and returned to a rather cold room. We called reception and confirmed that we had turned the valve on the radiator. They must have presumed that we were idiots because when the night porter came up all he did was ensure that the valve was turned on. He muttered something about checking it out and left. He called up afterwards and said that it would be on within half an hour and on for the whole night. It didn't come on so we wrapped up well for a chilly night thinking that there was no point in complaining yet again and be told more lies. The next morning I mentioned that I was unhappy about the heating. The lady on reception who happened to be the one that I had called the night before insisted that the heating had gone on and that maybe the problem was limited to my room. When I pointed out both rooms we had booked, though far apart, had no heating she ignored that and insisted that if I had a complaint I should speak to the manager, from which I inferred that she couldn't be bothered. She was quite completely unapologetic and clearly didn't understand anything about customer service. She seemed to think that one should have to make multiple complaints before anything would ever get resolved.

The cooked breakfast was good but you had to hold your nose to avoid the pungent odour of kippers (smoked mackerel) - it was truly disgusting. The pastries were dried out husks that you might expect to see being fed to feral birds.The experience was not helped by having to repeat our room number several times before being let in to eat. Eventually we had to take the list ourselves and point it out the rather unbelieving waitress. Overall this was not a Four Star experience. The only thing that stank worse than the kippers was the customer service.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Asmodeus
Dear Asmodeus

Firstly I do wish to apologize to you for the lack of service that you posted on Tripadvisor regarding your recent stay with us. I have tried to contact you in through message and again offer my apologies.

We clearly did not meet with your expectations on this occasion and our follow up was poor. We did have an issue with the heating at the time and this has since been resolved. I would ask that if you are in the area again you would contact me and I will endeavor to offer you the service that we normally offer and our guests have come to expect from us.

Yours sincerely

Dingle, Ireland
Reviewed 23 November 2013

We stayed here over the mid term break for two nights overall it was very disappointing we had 2 children with us we were in the front of the hotel an the traffic was non stop so we could not sleep.
There was a damp smell around the corridors . Breakfast was ok but the girls got porridge and it was shocking not good enough for a 4 star hotel. I didn't like the colour v dark. sorry wont be back.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
MaritimeManager_12, Manager at Maritime Hotel, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear Aisling B

Thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor. Your visit with us has obviously not gone as we would have planned or expected and for this I am very sorry. Our intention and aim here is to offer the highest possible standards to all of our guests but we obviously failed with yourselves. I would hope that you might give us a further chance at some future point. I will have brought your comments to the team and they can see areas of improvement may be required to maintain the consistent high levels our customers have come to expect.

Yours sincerely

Cork
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Just back from this Hotel. First i must mention the Staff, very friendly and helpful 10 out of 10 if the MANAGER reads this ,Do congratulate them, job well done. We stayed here for 2b&b+1Dinner. Plenty of Parking underneath Hotel, The food was very good, room very clean great atmosphere in Bar Ruby Match was on. My wife used the swimming pool and was very pleased. I hope to return here next summer.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
MaritimeManager_12, Manager at Maritime Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Anthony M

Thank you very much for your kind review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted you got to see the Rugby as I'm afraid I missed it, could only get glimpses in passing. I was particularly pleased with your comments on the team here and I will be passing on your comments to them. This manager does read and tries to reply to every comment.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to your return in the summer.

Ireland
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Stayed for a family wedding and boy, was I surprised! I didnt have any expectations as I was too busy thinking about the wedding, however, I was amazed at how beautiful this hotel was. The staff were lovely and accommodating. The room was fabulous, I genuinely thought we must have been given the best room in the place it was that amazing! Huge, spacious room with all the mod-cons, lovely giant shower and the bed was to die for! I wish I had booked an extra night! The food was out of this world! The breakfast the next morning was the best I've ever had! Such a great choice of specials, as well as continental and hot foods.
Was genuinely gutted to be checking out of this place, cant wait to return!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
MaritimeManager_12, Manager at Maritime Hotel, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear kellyireland

I guess we hit your "Wow!" requirements. Thanks for the great review on Tripadvisor about your recent stay with us. I and all the team here were delighted with such a high rating. I hope that on your return visits we will be just as good and you will enjoy as much.

Kind regards & Thanks

Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bantry
Westlodge Hotel
Glengarriff Park Hotel
Glengarriff Park Hotel
#1 of 3 in Glengarriff
Parknasilla Resort & Spa

Been to Maritime Hotel? Share your experiences!