“Great hotel, even better staff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Maritime Hotel

Maritime Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Bantry
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Dublin, Ireland
“Great hotel, even better staff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

Just back from my brothers wedding in this hotel and I have to say it was perfect in every sense of the word. We stayed for three nights and throughout our whole stay we got impeccable service. Our two bed suite was perfect to share with my sisters family and housekeeping could not do enough to ensure our comfort. The wedding day went so well with all the staff treating my brother and sister in law like royalty and not only them but all the guests. The food was the best meal we've ever had at a wedding and the waiting staff couldn't feed you enough offering more vegetables etc throughout. Fionnbar was brilliant to the bridal party but also came around each table to ensure we all received enough food and were happy with our choices which was a lovely touch. My sister has three kids and they couldn't have been looked after better never a cross look or word from any staff member even when all the kids were running mad! Everyone has commented on how great the hotel, service, value for money and comfort of the entire stay was. I would highly recommend this hotel and will def be returning in the future. Thank you all for a great stay!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SineadDH
MaritimeManager_12, Manager at Maritime Hotel, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Dear SineadDH

Thank you so much for your kind review on Tripadvisor. It was our pleasure to be part of your brother's big day and it is so good to see that we were so successful. We take pride in trying to make each guest feel a little special even the smaller ones, how could we get cross with them??

I will be passing your comments to the team here and I'm sure they will be as pleased as I am. Give our warm regards to all those who were with us and don't forget to make a return visit.

Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

Just back from attending our sons wedding in this great hotel. The facilities and fantastic staff ensured that everything went smoothly from start to finish... The meal at the wedding was one of the best I've ever had, there was not one negative comment on any course. The bride and groom were treated like royalty and that filtered down to the entire party.. The town of Bantry is just beautiful , when our son said they were having ere wedding there we were a little surprised but after enjoying the hospitality and friendliness of everyone we met we now understand so well.... From reception to bar to maintenance and housekeeping, we did not encounter one bad staff member... Also having had a massage treatment the wedding eve,I can honestly say,though a small spa, it was definitely one of the best massages ever ! Thank you olive and Norma !!
I can't recommend this hotel and town strongly enough... Thank you all for helping to make our son and daughter in laws day so magical .....

Room Tip: The two bedroom suites are ideal for a larger group
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank normah62
Dear normah62

Hello again from Bantry. Thank you for your Tripadvisor comment about your recent stay with us at the Maritime. I notice that we lost one point for location but I assume this was for the drive that you had to make to get here.

Thank you for your very kind comments rwegarding both the Food, it's service and the staff. I will be passing them on to the team here and I am sure that they will be as satisfied as I am.

I am delighted you enjoyed you stay so much and I hope that it will not take as long for a return visit.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

Myself and my family visit the Maritime Hotel very regular as we live in Bantry although I cant really comment at staying in the hotel as I never have we always go for food or to the bar for drinks the staff are all lovely and always very welcoming.We decided to go for the 5 course New Years Eve meal in the Ocean restaurant and we were quite disappointed with the food my husbands mouth was burnt off as the ribs he had ordered for his starter were far to hot and spicy he had to leave them as it was impossible to eat I mentioned this to the waitress but it was just a case of oh were they too hot sorry about that.His steak was also not cooked to how he had asked but he got on with it I have to say however that my steak was cooked perfectly.The desserts I have to say were of a very low standard they looked beautiful but unfortunately didn't taste beautiful which is what we were expecting on our New Years meal.Also what puzzled me is that on the advertisement for the meal it stated that their resident pianist would be playing while we ate our meal creating the perfect ambience this did not happen and there wasn't a piano in sight so therefore really shouldn't be advertised.A very disappointing night was had the music was great but only because it was Noel and Alfonse such talented guys however zero ambience yet again in the bar.After our glass of Champagne at twelve we left to go elsewhere.The food that is produced for the fiver Friday in the hotel bar is off much higher quality than the food served in the Ocean restaurant.We expected more.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear emmaskelland

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor regarding yuor recent meal in the Ocean Restaurand. I'm sorry that your reaction was mixed and I realise you were being honest as you have normal praise for us on the other occasions you visited.

With regard to the pianist I'm very sorry but on NYE she broke her hand and at that late stage we were unable to secure another for the evening. This was as big a disappointment to us as it probably was to you and I really am sorry.

Again my thanks for your honesty.

Yours sincerely

Minsk, Minsk, Belarus
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

Ready for our European vacation in United Kindgom and Republic of Ireland , we love it in that hotel,
The time that we visited last time was vary noises everywhere , this time it was nice and silent, everything you need is in walking distance into the small peaceful town of bantry very beautiful and lovely walks , there a small market each Friday! Ren around the bug rugs,! Yes much of heeaeere
Food was excellent as always! All Staff were very good! And very polite and couldn't do enough to help you! Room was very comfortable the children loved the swimming ball again! So clean, lovea it!
Beatifule views of the bay! And waters!
I have no hesitaione of recommend this hotel to anyone who visit Bantry, in my opinion this is one of best hotels I have ever stayed in in the Republic of Ireland!
Amazing

Room Tip: If you can get view in the water! It sow beautiful
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Elizabeth M

Return guests from Belarus, now that is what I really like to see. Thank you for your lovely comments on Tripadvisor and I am delighted that you all enjoyed your stay once again.

I was particularly pleased with the comments on the team here and I will be sharing the with all. They will be as happy as I am I'm sure.

Again my thanks & come back soon

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

As a visitor from abroad if you want to get a real time impression of what the Celtic Tiger did to Ireland you should stay in this hotel. Walking into the lobby from the quaint town of Bantry is like stepping through some sort of Stargate into another place and time- from quaint Irish town to urban futuristic nightclub. While I have some real reservations about the interior design, the hotel facilities are excellent and the staff friendly, the beds are comfortable, the view lovely and everything is of high quality. The underground car park is a little scary (the amount of water in it honestly made me wonder if we'd find the car in the same place after high tide) and its easy to get lost on your way from the parking to the lobby (better signage might help here) but overall I'd recommend a stay here- it's a memorable experience!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Eileen K

Thank you for your kind review which you posted on Tripadvisor regarding your recent stay with us. As a bit of a traditionalist myself there are some very valid points in your comments on the decor of the property.

I was delighted with your rating and your comments on the staff which the traditional Irish Hospitality Industry is so famed for. I will be passing your comments to all the team and I am sure they will be as pleased as I am.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

Stayed here over the weekend (Sat14th and Sun15th Dec) - could not rate the hotel the facilities the food any higher - our only gripe was the staff at the hotel, on check-in my partner had trouble finding the voucher for the hotel - we had the voucher code itself and payment reference. having trouble finding the email with the voucher itself, the lady on the front desk rather take a card to put against the room made my partner stand at the front desk until the email could be found - eventually another lady asked us for a credit card to put against the room and let us check in.

Once checked in we made our way to our room, the room was in pristine condition with a wonderful few of Bantry bay - we could not fault the room one bit - we ordered breakfast in bed for the next morning we selected the 9.30-10.00, there also where no pens in the room we had to go to reception for a pen to fill out the breakfast card - unfortunately we where awoken at 5 past 9 with breakfast - the breakfast itself was lovely full Irish with all the trimmings!

At 10 o'clock we got a knock on the door from housekeeping my partner answered the door greeted by a lady who wanted to clean our room we advised that we are still in bed and asked could she come back later as we will be leaving in an hour - the lady did not acknowledged this and asked did we need towels and handed over some towels, an hour later we left our room to go for spa treatments we were booked in for - upon leaving the room i went down the hall to where the lady from housekeeping was and advised that we are leaving if she would like to clean our room the lady said ''no your room has been done'' i advised that this is not the case we simply where given towels - the lady came to the door of our room and said again ''your room is done'' i advised that there are 2 glasses and a bottle from the hotel bar, the bin is full and we need the tea and coffee replaced - the lady hesitated and again said ''no your room is done'' i said I'm sorry but i want our room cleaned please - after a further few minutes of persuasion the lady agreed to clean our room...i found it strange that i needed to convince someone to clean our room.

We went for the spa treatments and where more than happy with the package we received, the lady in the spa was friendly and recommended a great place to go for dinner.

We ordered breakfast in bed again for the next day for 9.30-10am - by 10 past 10 no breakfast was to be seen - we rang the front desk who advised there was a mix up in the kitchen and it would be sent up in the next 5 mins - the breakfast came at quarter past 10 - the gentleman who brought our breakfast advised that we put the wrong date on the card and for future not to do that again!! i was going to say why would we put the next days date on the card when you leave the card on the door at 12 that night but didn't see the point.

I can not rate the hotel itself, the food, the facilities and the town of Bantry itself any higher the only let down we felt was the staff at the hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bill Q
MaritimeManager_12, Manager at Maritime Hotel, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear Bill Q

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review about your recent stay with us at the Maritime. I am glad we got the positives of quality and standards for both accommodation and food right. I am very disappointed with the service levels you received as they do not reflect the quality we aim to achieve.

I will be informing all the team here of your comments and I will be taking corrective action with each of the points you raised so that we can improve our service standards to meet with your expectations. Taking your assessment and grading of the Maritime does show me that we are good in some areas but we still need improvement in others and we will be undertaking the necessary action to achieve this.

Again my thanks

Yours sincerely

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

perfect hotel, great team, many thanks to James, the reception team, catering staff for the super Gala dinner and Fionnbar for togging out on the last stage and his massive support with our itinerary.

Room Tip: Relax and enjoy the experience..
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
MaritimeManager_12, Manager at Maritime Hotel, responded to this review, 14 December 2013
Dear michael o

As you know it was a pleasure to have The Legends with us this year in the Maritime and thank you for the Tripadvisor review. You know the lengths some people will go to get a bit of business.....some will even cycle 120K. It was a great day and a personal achievement which you know all about! Look forward to doing it again in September 2014. We will CrossDonalsMountain!

I will be passing your kind comments to the team here and I'm can assure you they will be pleased also.

Regards

Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bantry
Westlodge Hotel
Casey's of Baltimore, Hotel
The West Cork Hotel
The West Cork Hotel
#1 of 1 in Skibbereen

Been to Maritime Hotel? Share your experiences!