“very pleasant”

Maritime Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Bantry
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel a few weeks ago and we had a suite. It was really nice, 2 large rooms, one the bedroom and the other a sitting room/kitchen and a balcony joining both. We had our two children with us and it was perfect for one night as while they slept in the bedroom area we were able to watch tv and have a glass of wine in the other room. It was ideal for a family hotel room. The staff were very helpful and friendly! It was a very pleasant stay. The only criticism i have was it did not have any facilities for kids, no kids room etc and our kids were the only ones we saw in the hotel. Other then that for one night it was fab.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank francesork
MaritimeManager_12, Manager at Maritime Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Dear francesork

Thank you for your kind review on Tripadvisor about your recent stay with us at the Maritime Hotel. I'm particularly pleased with your comments on the team here and how friendly they are.

Sadly the building was not built with a games room in mind, however we do have some family games in the Library on the first floor and when the school holidays are on we generally have a Swim Camp in Club Maritime every second week.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay and hopefully, as a fellow Limerickman, we will have you back with us again.

Regards

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Whenever we are over in South West Cork we often stay around the Bantry area and whilst there we visit the Maritime Hotel to use their leisure facilities and have lunch. We are always greeted with a friendly smile and I have to say that the staff are extremely helpful and very pleasant.

I don't normally leave reviews but felt I had to on this occasion as I strongly disagree with some of the comments which have been put on this webpage. I have always found the pool to be clean, the Jacuzzi is certainly not cold unless you step in straight from the suana or steamroom and the steam room it most definitely is NOT over the top too HOT. I have visited steam rooms in other hotels and in my local gym where you cannot see anyone else in the room for the steam! The reception area of the swimming pool has free fresh coffee and a seating area.

In my experience if you have a complaint about anything it is always best to raise issues there and then as it enables the staff to rectify any issues/problems that you come across.

This is a beautiful hotel with excellent leisure facilities, very friendly staff and a very relaxing bar with a great atmosphere. 10 out of 10 for me!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Paula T
MaritimeManager_12, Manager at Maritime Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear Paula T

Thank you for your kind review on Tripadvisor. I am particularly with your comments on the Club Maritime and it's team. We make every effort to ensure that all our visitors get that warm pleasant feeling you got!

We do like constructive reviews so that we can see if we are offering the quality of product expected of a property like ours.

Again my thanks for your praise.

Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Was down here this weekend with my bike club, good value and great service. The rooms are very spacious and more importantly very clean. The bar was spacious, reasonably priced for a hotel bar. A late evening meal was had on Sat night and the food was second to none. It's also great to see a Biker friendly hotel.

The manager and staff at this hotel definitely have customer service at the top of their list, we were having dinner in one of the function rooms when one of the guests children fell asleep, the manager and barman brought in one of the sofas into the suite so the child could sleep on it. It was the topic of conversation for a while.

My only down point on this hotel would be that the underground carpark wad very slippy, and this was awkward on the motorcycle.

Great hotel accompanied by friendly staff, a return visit will definitely be on the cards.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ConoFJR

Dear ConoFJR

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review which was very kind.

I was particularly pleased with your comments regarding the team here as our customer is definitely my first priority. I will be passing your comments to all the team here and I am sure that they will be pleased also.

I hold my hands up as the one that moved the sleeping lad and thankfully he stayed asleep while I moved him. I know this was noticed but the lads mom needed the space to eat her meal and it looked uncomfortable trying to do so with a young boy lying across her lap.

Little things like this cost nothing!

It was our pleasure having you guys stay and we look forward to having you return.

Kind regards

Reviewed 23 March 2014

What a mixed bag. But where to start?
Maybe a score card will give a fair picture.

Reception: 9/10
Parking: 10/10

Leisure centre facilities:
Cleanliness: 2/10 Every part of the tiling in the jacuzzi had a layer of scum. The pool tiling was marginally less disgusting.
Steam room: completely over the top too hot.
Jacuzzi: the coldest I ever sat in.
Showers: nicely designed but heat setting way too high.
Customer service: 10/10

Bathroom: 9/10
TV quality, channel choice, signal clarity: 9/10

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank corkdave
MaritimeManager_12, Manager at Maritime Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Dear Cork Dave

Firstly I would like to thank you for your recent Tripadvisor review as I take seriously the comments of all our customers.

I think that the fact that your scorecard reflects a total of 160 points where we scored 140 points or 87.5% good I feel that we might have deserved a bit better from your opening comment. Your comments on the jacuzzi and the pool area having a "layer of scum" do not reflect that this is as a natural result of calcification which occurs where hard water what is in the area. Up until recently we had a facility to remove this which we are no longer permitted to do as the chemicals are a health and safety issue. We are undertaking a different process of de-calcifying which we hope will have the Club Maritime back up to your required standards shortly.

With regard to the temperatures in the various facilities these have been set to the required levels upon request of the members and users over the last seven years and we rarely have had complaint from them. As these are personal and selective to each individual we have to try to get the best balance that comes closest to the majorities requirements.

I am delighted that in most instances that you were very satisfied with the levels of service in all areas of the property that you tried out as this is the real measure of the tourism product that we aspire to offer.

Again I would like to thank you for your comments and hope that you will return in the near future to review us again.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 23 March 2014

We stayed at the Maritime Hotel in Banty for a short break. The staff at the hotel were friendly and could not be of more help.The food was beautiful. We really enjoyed out stay and would recomend the hotel if you are staying in the region.

Room Tip: Dine in the restaurent at the hotel. The food was fabulous.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Harrypattery

Thank you for your kind Tripadvisor review of your recent stay with us at the Maritime hotel. I was delighted with your comments especially regarding the staff being friendly and "could not be of more help!" I will be passing your comments on to the team and I am sure they will be as pleased as I am.

I trust that you might take your own advice and perchance return soon and stay with us again.

Kind regards

Reviewed 20 March 2014

We booked the suite, what a treat, went with our little baby, which was great as we spent alot of time in the room, so the baby slept in the sitting room section, and we could still enjoy the balcony with glasses of wine, it was so nice, we stayed an extra night! would highly recommend this hotel, and I am hoping to visit again very soon.
dinner was brilliant in the restaurant, lovely pool, and yummy breakfast! we did a day trip to garnish island, which was spectacular trip to a little gem....

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Dear travellinggal30

Thank you for your great review on Tripadvisor about your recent stay with us at the Maritime hotel. I can only agree with you from memory what the difference a suite makes when travelling with a child. The peace of mind and freedom to relax...... you will appreciate a bit more as the child grows and you have a separate television in your room on a rainy day while they watch cartoons and you can watch something a little more grown up.....

I was particularly pleased that you stayed the extra night and are planning a return trip as that really is the measure of us doing things right. I noted that you have visited Garnish well next time try Whiddy, or the Sheep's Head to Mizen or Goats Path....there really is a lot to see just ask some of the staff to recommend things to do!

Again my thanks

Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

Hotel was lovely and located in the middle of the town. Staff were helpful and friendly. Room was v nice with a lovely balcony and breakfast was very good.

Negatives: Shower was difficult to operate and took a long time to get hot and the traffic noise from the road outside was pretty loud.

I requested late check out when booking the hotel room on booking.com but this query was not answered or brought up by any staff member. I forgot about my request until the following day when the cleaner came to clean room at 12. I phoned reception and they knew nothing about my request. Lady in reception advised the latest check out time was 1pm. I felt the hotel could have been a little more accommodating with this request as hotel didn't seem overly busy as it was early March.

Overall its a nice hotel in a good location and i would recommend it to others and i would stay here again myself in the future.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank seamussg

Dear seamussg

Thank you very much for your Tripadvisor review on your recent stay with us at the Maritime. I am delighted that your comments about our crew here being helpful and friendly and that you found the hotel lovely.

I was a bit disappointed that we did not pick up on your late check out request and apologize for same and I will be checking into how it was not on your reservation in order to ensure that this does not happen again. We can offer a later check out facility but we do have to charge for this as it incurs extra staff costs and this option should have been brought to your attention when you made your request.

My thanks again for your kind comments and I will be passing all your comments to the crew here.

Yours sincerely

Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bantry
Westlodge Hotel
#2 of 3 in Glengarriff
Lake Hotel
Lake Hotel
#10 of 38 in Killarney

Been to Maritime Hotel? Share your experiences!