“A real disappointment!” 2 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Crewe
“A real disappointment!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

I have to start by saying that this hotel was a huge disappointment. We left Cork and drove to it full of expectations. It looked good on-line and my fellow Trip Advisor reviewers, seemed to report favourably on it.

Our lingering memories of this hotel will be the vivid blue hoardings across the road which partly obscured our view of the bay, the main road beneath our window and the dark depressing colours which abound.

We stayed for 2 days and were unlucky to be there when the outside temperatures were around 30'C. Our room was stiflingly hot. No A/C! So we opened the windows to be met with traffic noise, especially the lorries that pass by in abundance. Then there were the bright blue hoardings obscuring building work across the road from the hotel through which there was the narrow access to the underground car park. So much for "the fantastic views."

Our arrival and check-in was not a happy experience. There was a wedding that day and reception was full of wedding guests just hanging about, getting in the way. There were insufficient staff at reception to deal with what was going on. After a 20 min wait we were dealt with in a somewhat perfunctory manner. Not rudely may I say, but not with the smile and friendliness I've come to expect in Ireland. The girl at reception tried to explain the somewhat complicated route from the main building to the "annexe", where we were to be housed, and the underground car park, and rushed through it all in a jiffy, as a result getting around was, initially, tricky.

Getting from the underground car park to our room, with luggage, was not easy, the lift was like an oven. The lights in the ceiling made being in the lift like being on a kitchen "pass".

The in room WiFi, was hopeless. A member of staff brought a signal booster, told us it would take 10 mins to boot up, and left. It still didn't work! So another member of staff came up to tell us that the first one hadn't connected it up properly. Even when "connected" properly the WiFi connection wasn't good!

Sleeping was not easy a hot & noisy room! We had to have the windows open to let air in. The staff did provide a fan which helped, a little. The decor in our allocated room wasn't pleasing to our eyes. The room was clean. The towels were of good quality on day 1, but day 2 .... oh dear! They were frayed, thin and small, I think a charity shop would have put them in a skip as unfit for resale.

In the corridor outside our room, a long corridor, there was a faint unpleasant smell, which I put down to cleaning products. Dark carpet with the numbers of the rooms woven into it, outside each dark door, a neat little trick!

The whole hotel was dark, purple, blue, orange and dark wood. A bit depressing really.

The food at breakfast was standard fare, and very average, the service was good. The dinning room was different to the rest of the hotel and quite attractively designed.

We didn't visit the bar, it was packed with wedding guests, we walked into town to go to a proper Irish pub.

We didn't dine here either we'd booked O'Connors, & Tom Crean in Kenmare. But the menu wouldn't have tempted me anyway.

I'm sorry to report that The Maritime Hotel fell short of our expectations. I would never ever consider staying there again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank John F
MaritimeManager_12, Manager at Maritime Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear John F

Thank you for your recent comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Maritime Hotel. I am sorry that we did not live up to your expectations on this occasion. The hotel has a number of rooms which have air conditioning and if requested we could have given one of those rooms to you.

The lighting in the hotel is as a result of the low energy bulbs which made the property one of the top ten energy efficient "Green" properties in the country. The original bulbs for this are now being changed for bulbs with much higher illumination and we will have this rectified in the near future.

The hotel decor I suppose is a matter of taste and it may not please everyones. The Wi-Fi broadband in the Bantry area is very poor and we recognise that there are issues as a result of this. We hope to have this up to an acceptable level very shortly as we know how frustrating it is.

Again my thanks for your constructive review

Yours sincerely

Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
cork
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

We returned to the Maritime in June this year and hoped that the standards would be as high as on previous visits. We found that it was as good as ever. The rain joined us in Bantry, but the hotel is weather-proof. The leisure centre is top class, the pool itself is simply perfect. We had an evening meal which was just awesome and the service is just wonderful. The waiters and waitresses are warm and knowledgeable. They made us feel as if we were their only guests (the dining room was packed!). Breakfast was a feast with all sorts of fruit, cereals and confectionery not to mention the cooked breakfast. We will be back.

Room Tip: Each floor has its own colour scheme....all are very attractive
1 Thank nomadCork
Dear nomadCork

It is nice to have a senior Tripadvisor contributor return and find that we are consistant in our service over a number of visits and in particular that you note that you will be returning.

I was particularly pleased with your comments on the team here making you feel like their only guests......and that is how it should be! I will be passing on your comments to all the team and I am sure they will be as pleased as I am.

With warmest thanks and kind regards

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

This is a nice hotel overlookin the bay, rooms are air-conditioned (not often needed in Ireland but on this occasion the weather was really warm) and really comfortable. The bathrooms also have separate bath and shower. Breakfast was excellent also. Try the smoked kippers! The hotel is new, with modern decor.

2 Thank Shanballa
Dear Shanballa

Thank you for your recent Tripadvisor review about your recent stay with us at the Maritime Hotel. I was particularly pleased with the ratings you gave us for each of the areas of importance ie. food, cleanliness & service. I will be passing your comments to all the team here and I am sure they will be as pleased as I am.

Kind regards & thanks

Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stayed at Maritime Hotel alongside many professional musicians for the wonderful West Cork Chamber Music festival. Looking out across the bay is beautiful. Bantry is a small town right in the far south -west of Eire. It feels a bit like stepping back in time. The locals were very welcoming and the hotel is warm and efficient and the food was good.
BUT there is a monstrous load of hoarding ( the entrance to underground car-park) which looks incongruous and ugly and on the ground level totally blocks the view across glorious Bantry Bay. What a disappointment! I booked the hotel for its position and the view!
There is an issue with the lifts too. - you have to get a lift to floor 1 , alight, walk up the other end of the hotel and then get another lift!
Furthermore there is a water issue in the loos! whichever toilet I used, the paper never went away! A lack of pressure clearly.
Having said all this, we had a brilliant suite and the bar food was excellent (inc the service) and I would rebook BUT please lose the hoarding!!

1 Thank APP81067
Dear APP81067

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay with us at the Maritime Hotel which you posted on Tripadvisor.

I was particularly pleased with your comments on the food and ther service and the team being friendly and efficient.

I take note of the other comments also but because of issues of health & safety the hoarding will probably have to remain until the development of the new harbour amenity. This is something which is not within our control and if it was we would only be delighted to have the view of the harbour returned.

Again my thanks & kind regards

Kildare, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

We were greeted well and checked in quickly, the room was clean with a great view but I had booked a double room and was presented with two single beds, not the end of the world and didn't want to make a fuss so just pushed the beds together. We soon discovered that the toilet was not working in our bathroom, this was very frustrating, we reported it and in fairness it was fixed within about an hour to two hours.
The hotel claims to have wifi throughout but in reality the wifi is as poor as can be found. It's virtually non existent. We were on the second floor for 3 days and couldn't keep a connection for longer than a few minutes.
Other than these problems everything else was good, excellent food, good pool, great location, we also used the spa and found it very good. I probably would stay here again

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Liam B

Thank you for your review about your recent stay with us at the Maritime Hotel which you posted on Tripadvisor. I am particularly pleased with your comments on staff and the various facilities you used and will be passing out your comments to all the team here.

I agree that we have Wi-Fi issues but this we are making every effort to rectify and hopefully will have it solved by your next visit. The problem is the supply of broadband to Bantry is very limited and therefore we are very restricted as to what we can have supplied.

I was very happy to note that you would return as it is the return of constructively critical guests that help us to improve the services we offer.

Again my thanks & kind regards

Dunmow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

Spent 4 nights here, lovely staff very friendly and welcoming. We had a nice room with a balcony looking over the harbour. Yes the road was noisey but did it matter no. The dinning room was small for the two coaches so we had to stagger our dinner times. The food was scummy no complaints there as was breakfast plenty of it. Would love to go back.thank you

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear mrscleansky

Thank you for your kind review about your recent stay with us at the Maritime which you posted on Tripadvisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the food "Yummy!" I presume you meant to say. Your comments regarding the friendly staff I particularly appreciate and I will be passing your full comment to all the team here and I am sure they will appreciate it also.

Kind regards & thanks once again

Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

I stayed at this Wonderful Hotel for 2 nights and I must say when I arrived on Thursday evening at approx. 6.30p.m.I received a Warm Wellcome at Reception and was re-assured if I needed any help I could ask. Mr. Finbarr Walsh Manager is a Gentleman. Gretta Moxley was exceptionally kind and helpful. Your Dinning Room staff are a Pleasure. Keep up the Good work.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Eilish H
Dear Eilish H

Thank you for your most kind review of your recent stay with us at the Maritime which you posted on Tripadvisor. I was a bit embarrased to be mentioned personally but I was delighted that I wasn't singled out and you had such praise for most of the team here. I will be passing your comments on to all the team and I am sure they will be as happ as I am.

Kind regards and thanks once again

Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bantry
Westlodge Hotel
Casey's of Baltimore, Hotel
The West Cork Hotel
The West Cork Hotel
#1 of 1 in Skibbereen

Been to Maritime Hotel? Share your experiences!