“Save your money and go somewhere else...”
Review of Maritime Hotel

Maritime Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Bantry
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 15 July 2014

What a disappointment. The pictures on their website are either photoshop'd or from years ago. We had a suite that faced the bay, but was on a lower level that the street noise was like being in New York (guests should be warned or put on a higher level). The glass windows looked like they weren't cleaned in months. You could see glass stains on the coffee table and side tables from poor house keeping. Furniture was worn in the room, lobby and common areas. We went down to the indoor pool and it was more like a gym locker pool then a spa looking pool. We couldn't wait to LEAVE! Staff was nice and polite. The roof top area (which is depicted in a few photos) was closed due to weather ( no fault of the staff). It is a 3 star at best (American standards)....

Room Tip: Don't pay for an upgrade to a suite or to a bay/water view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
MaritimeManager_12, Manager at Maritime Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Julie A

Thank you for your revent Tripadvisor review about your recent stay with us at the Maritime Hotel. I am sorry that we did not live up to your expectations on this occasion, however, I was pleased with your comments regarding the team here. I will be taking in to consideration all of your comments and we have an ongoingt programme of refurbishment of the property furnishings.

Again my thanks

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We have visited the Maritime about twice yearly for the last 6 years and we always enjoy the experience! The hotel is consistently excellent!
The rooms are air- conditioned, large, lovely decor with a different colour for each level making it easy to recognise your floor from the lifts! We stayed for a week this time and were not disappointed; the staff are lovely and will use your name regularly.
Breakfast is v. good with some added hot dishes each day....porridge mmm! Kippers, Eggs Benedict, pancakes, even kidneys were on offer one morning, as well as usual Irish breakfast, breads, fruit, honey, jams, scones, cold meats, cheese.
Good value lunches are available in the bar and you can eat there all day. We had coffee n sandwiches to our room once and they were perfect. Dinner is available in the restaurant but there are so many fab restaurants in Bantry, wet are out every night. The hotel needs to research their menus to encourage us to eat in the lovely restaurant.
The pool and surrounding area is in excellent condition and well-run by the excellent James and team!
The people on reception are very friendly and professional and worked well under the pressures that the West Cork Literary Festival must have added to their busy summer.
There is a small area of hoarding across the road...a relic of the recession but raise your eyes a little and you have Bantry Bay and Whiddy Island to feast you eyes on!
Bantry is a lovely old-fashioned Irish town with fab restaurants, you can park your car in the hotel's underground carpark for free and you won't need to move it until you leave...Bantry House n gardens etc are all minutes walking away!
Relax n enjoy a holiday in the Maritime Hotel in Bantry!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
MaritimeManager_12, Manager at Maritime Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear A TripAdvisor Member

Thank you for your very kind Tripadvisor review. I am only sorry that you are not fully identifiable and I would have used you name also in this letter. It was overl,y generous and I sincerely hope that we can continue to offer you the best of service which you so obviously have repeatedly received over the years with us.

Again thanks & regards

Reviewed 12 July 2014

I have to start by saying that this hotel was a huge disappointment. We left Cork and drove to it full of expectations. It looked good on-line and my fellow Trip Advisor reviewers, seemed to report favourably on it.

Our lingering memories of this hotel will be the vivid blue hoardings across the road which partly obscured our view of the bay, the main road beneath our window and the dark depressing colours which abound.

We stayed for 2 days and were unlucky to be there when the outside temperatures were around 30'C. Our room was stiflingly hot. No A/C! So we opened the windows to be met with traffic noise, especially the lorries that pass by in abundance. Then there were the bright blue hoardings obscuring building work across the road from the hotel through which there was the narrow access to the underground car park. So much for "the fantastic views."

Our arrival and check-in was not a happy experience. There was a wedding that day and reception was full of wedding guests just hanging about, getting in the way. There were insufficient staff at reception to deal with what was going on. After a 20 min wait we were dealt with in a somewhat perfunctory manner. Not rudely may I say, but not with the smile and friendliness I've come to expect in Ireland. The girl at reception tried to explain the somewhat complicated route from the main building to the "annexe", where we were to be housed, and the underground car park, and rushed through it all in a jiffy, as a result getting around was, initially, tricky.

Getting from the underground car park to our room, with luggage, was not easy, the lift was like an oven. The lights in the ceiling made being in the lift like being on a kitchen "pass".

The in room WiFi, was hopeless. A member of staff brought a signal booster, told us it would take 10 mins to boot up, and left. It still didn't work! So another member of staff came up to tell us that the first one hadn't connected it up properly. Even when "connected" properly the WiFi connection wasn't good!

Sleeping was not easy a hot & noisy room! We had to have the windows open to let air in. The staff did provide a fan which helped, a little. The decor in our allocated room wasn't pleasing to our eyes. The room was clean. The towels were of good quality on day 1, but day 2 .... oh dear! They were frayed, thin and small, I think a charity shop would have put them in a skip as unfit for resale.

In the corridor outside our room, a long corridor, there was a faint unpleasant smell, which I put down to cleaning products. Dark carpet with the numbers of the rooms woven into it, outside each dark door, a neat little trick!

The whole hotel was dark, purple, blue, orange and dark wood. A bit depressing really.

The food at breakfast was standard fare, and very average, the service was good. The dinning room was different to the rest of the hotel and quite attractively designed.

We didn't visit the bar, it was packed with wedding guests, we walked into town to go to a proper Irish pub.

We didn't dine here either we'd booked O'Connors, & Tom Crean in Kenmare. But the menu wouldn't have tempted me anyway.

I'm sorry to report that The Maritime Hotel fell short of our expectations. I would never ever consider staying there again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank John F

Dear John F

Thank you for your recent comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Maritime Hotel. I am sorry that we did not live up to your expectations on this occasion. The hotel has a number of rooms which have air conditioning and if requested we could have given one of those rooms to you.

The lighting in the hotel is as a result of the low energy bulbs which made the property one of the top ten energy efficient "Green" properties in the country. The original bulbs for this are now being changed for bulbs with much higher illumination and we will have this rectified in the near future.

The hotel decor I suppose is a matter of taste and it may not please everyones. The Wi-Fi broadband in the Bantry area is very poor and we recognise that there are issues as a result of this. We hope to have this up to an acceptable level very shortly as we know how frustrating it is.

Again my thanks for your constructive review

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We returned to the Maritime in June this year and hoped that the standards would be as high as on previous visits. We found that it was as good as ever. The rain joined us in Bantry, but the hotel is weather-proof. The leisure centre is top class, the pool itself is simply perfect. We had an evening meal which was just awesome and the service is just wonderful. The waiters and waitresses are warm and knowledgeable. They made us feel as if we were their only guests (the dining room was packed!). Breakfast was a feast with all sorts of fruit, cereals and confectionery not to mention the cooked breakfast. We will be back.

Room Tip: Each floor has its own colour scheme....all are very attractive
1  Thank nomadCork

Dear nomadCork

It is nice to have a senior Tripadvisor contributor return and find that we are consistant in our service over a number of visits and in particular that you note that you will be returning.

I was particularly pleased with your comments on the team here making you feel like their only guests......and that is how it should be! I will be passing on your comments to all the team and I am sure they will be as pleased as I am.

With warmest thanks and kind regards

Reviewed 8 July 2014

This is a nice hotel overlookin the bay, rooms are air-conditioned (not often needed in Ireland but on this occasion the weather was really warm) and really comfortable. The bathrooms also have separate bath and shower. Breakfast was excellent also. Try the smoked kippers! The hotel is new, with modern decor.

2  Thank Shanballa

Dear Shanballa

Thank you for your recent Tripadvisor review about your recent stay with us at the Maritime Hotel. I was particularly pleased with the ratings you gave us for each of the areas of importance ie. food, cleanliness & service. I will be passing your comments to all the team here and I am sure they will be as pleased as I am.

Kind regards & thanks

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stayed at Maritime Hotel alongside many professional musicians for the wonderful West Cork Chamber Music festival. Looking out across the bay is beautiful. Bantry is a small town right in the far south -west of Eire. It feels a bit like stepping back in time. The locals were very welcoming and the hotel is warm and efficient and the food was good.
BUT there is a monstrous load of hoarding ( the entrance to underground car-park) which looks incongruous and ugly and on the ground level totally blocks the view across glorious Bantry Bay. What a disappointment! I booked the hotel for its position and the view!
There is an issue with the lifts too. - you have to get a lift to floor 1 , alight, walk up the other end of the hotel and then get another lift!
Furthermore there is a water issue in the loos! whichever toilet I used, the paper never went away! A lack of pressure clearly.
Having said all this, we had a brilliant suite and the bar food was excellent (inc the service) and I would rebook BUT please lose the hoarding!!

1  Thank APP81067

Dear APP81067

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay with us at the Maritime Hotel which you posted on Tripadvisor.

I was particularly pleased with your comments on the food and ther service and the team being friendly and efficient.

I take note of the other comments also but because of issues of health & safety the hoarding will probably have to remain until the development of the new harbour amenity. This is something which is not within our control and if it was we would only be delighted to have the view of the harbour returned.

Again my thanks & kind regards

Reviewed 28 June 2014

We were greeted well and checked in quickly, the room was clean with a great view but I had booked a double room and was presented with two single beds, not the end of the world and didn't want to make a fuss so just pushed the beds together. We soon discovered that the toilet was not working in our bathroom, this was very frustrating, we reported it and in fairness it was fixed within about an hour to two hours.
The hotel claims to have wifi throughout but in reality the wifi is as poor as can be found. It's virtually non existent. We were on the second floor for 3 days and couldn't keep a connection for longer than a few minutes.
Other than these problems everything else was good, excellent food, good pool, great location, we also used the spa and found it very good. I probably would stay here again

Dear Liam B

Thank you for your review about your recent stay with us at the Maritime Hotel which you posted on Tripadvisor. I am particularly pleased with your comments on staff and the various facilities you used and will be passing out your comments to all the team here.

I agree that we have Wi-Fi issues but this we are making every effort to rectify and hopefully will have it solved by your next visit. The problem is the supply of broadband to Bantry is very limited and therefore we are very restricted as to what we can have supplied.

I was very happy to note that you would return as it is the return of constructively critical guests that help us to improve the services we offer.

Again my thanks & kind regards

Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bantry
Westlodge Hotel
#2 of 3 in Glengarriff
Lake Hotel
Lake Hotel
#9 of 38 in Killarney

Been to Maritime Hotel? Share your experiences!