“Oily smelling hotel but lovely staff !”
Review of Commodore Hotel

Commodore Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Cobh
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I've taken time to reflect before writing about the Commodore ... nobody likes to hear a sad story, and I certainly don't like writing one!

The Commodore hotel is a beautiful old building, of the type I truly love - wide staircases, old pics on the walls, landings with old fashioned sofas, high ceilings, and large rooms/bathrooms. The staff are excellent and they work very hard. I like it that they all seem to speak English fluently, with perhaps very little exception. I am so fed up having to spend a holiday or working break making myself understood in Ireland, and indeed, the UK.

The food in the Commodore is bad. I had a sandwich the afternoon I checked in, in the bar/lounge, where many locals seemed to be eating also. The bar menu is the usual Cobh fare of caesar salad, and then all fried stuff, which I do not like, especially when there is nothing else. I enquired about an ordinary cheese salad, on a plate ... but the nearest I could get to that was a "special" cheese sandwich with salad on the side. It was a very, very tired and wilted few pieces of lettuce, mixed up with bits and bobs of onion and stuff, which I had to leave, as clearly it came from a huge container in the kitchen and frankly, it was not fresh ... I would not care to speculate how long it had been sitting ... and was it even in a refrigerator? The toasted sandwich was not nice either. At this point, I have to say that whoever, or whatever, does the washup, needs to improve. There is a smell from the cups and they don't look clean ... and it looks like they might have been washed in greasy water ... oh dear ...

I skipped dinner at the hotel, because of that, eating out and next morning, tried breakfast, It's a buffet affair, and you may also order scrambled or poached eggs and some other things from a menu. Plenty of cereals, fruit, yogurt etc. ... I cannot fault that, even though I don't eat cold food myself at breafast. But my point is, in fairness, it's there if you want it. I took a sausage and piece of tomato and bacon from the buffet, and ordered scrambled eggs from the pleasant waitresss. The "hot" food was on top of lots of grease in the bain marie, but the tomato was not even cooked. The bacon was cold. I ate a couple of mouthfuls of bacon and left the rest. The scrambled eggs arrived ... I do not know how they do it, or what they do with it. Words fail me. It was a sloppy, runny, very pale mess on a plate, and tasted of nothing resembling egg. I enjoy eggs whether they're runny scrambled, or hard/set scrambled ... this was simply a mess. And sickening. The toast was stale ... very stale ... now and then stale bread will make perfectly adequate toast, if not ideal ... but this was stale bread. I ordered some more, which was just as bad. I will be perfectly honest, and say that the waitress was so pleasant I did not complain, nor did I say anything to her. That ... plus it was early in the morning. Tea in the Commodore is a good brew ... and the only thing I would ever order, and I would hope that they might improve their washup system.

My room and bathroom was large with a fine view, and sufficient for my needs. Water in the bathroom was only warm the first day, and tepid the next day ... it managed to get a little hotter when I was leaving. Luckily, the weather was awesomely warm.

In summary, the Commodore will continue to do business because it's an excellent location, and the staff are wonderful. It is very popular with local people, and seems to host meetings and suchlike as well.

It is neglected though, to a great extent, and the smell of greasy food pervades the entire establishment. It's not a pleasant smell, it's a rancid oily smell, and it shouldn't be all around the stairs, corridoors and landings.

They need to 'up the anti' with their food, especially breakfast, because they are letting down their wonderful staff, who as I said, are pleasant, hardworking and friendly, and are one of the few good things about this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Lucretia K

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Stayed at this hotel for one night in July 2014. It was good value for bed & breakfast, so it served my purpose. Staff were very friendly & helpful.
If visiting Cobh, its in a good location overlloking harbour.However it is in need of refurbishment, room was tired & old. Got room at back overlooking other roofs. Its tired look reflected the value price.

Room Tip: Rooms at back overlook other roofs.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 July 2014

This hotel is right on the seafront, by the old White Star Line booking office (now the Titanic Museum) and was, apparently, pretty grand in its day. It also (we found out later) played a significant part in looking after the survivors of the Lusitania as they were brought to shore. BUT, our experience was marred by having THE WORSE room at the back of the hotel overlooking what I can only describe as a junk yard (see photo). AND it was supposed to be all non-smoking but there was an ash tray in the room and it STUNK of stale cigarette smoke, The furniture was all tired 1950s veneer rubbish. Breakfast had been left too long in the bain marie. And although the hotel advertised parking it was full and we had to leave our car on the street overnight.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel is super clean very impressive , marble quite eye catching . Staff lovely in hotel , restaurant and bar. We ate in the bar area. The sofas were the most comfy ever. The food presentation was excellent taste amazing the fish was so fresh and desserts just mmm mmm! 5 star!! Definitely go we had kids too and they had great choice. Thank you!

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Mysteryshopper2013
Reviewed 6 July 2014

The hotel looks ok on booking sites, and with 79 euro being their best corporate rate for a single room i thought it would be good....

The first problem, parking..
I arrived on Saturday afternoon, to find their car park was full, nearest spot i could get parked was a few hundred metres away.

Came down to the restaurant, stood and waited at the door to be seated for ten minutes, but there was no space for me.

Lady on reception was ok, but not capable of checking your online booking on her system.

Overall it did the job, i found a nice Chinese restaurant to eat in. Room looks like the carpet and decor have been left unchanged since the Titanic last visited the town. The 12" tv was fine if you sat on the end of the bed to see it. The view from my window was of an embankment, rusty fire escapes, gas tanks, and piles of beer bottles, didn't bother me, but not exactly as described.
Conclusion, if your not fussy, then its somewhere to lay your head for the night, but that's about it, and 50 euro pet night would be plenty

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank ronniecu
commodorehotel, General Manager at Commodore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. We are disappointed that we did not meet your satisfaction on this occasion. We understand that it is key we offer you, our customer, value for money and I can understand why you feel we did not do this on your recent visit.
In relation to our staff I can assure that this is the exception rather than the norm. We pride ourselves on how friendly we are and will ensure that customers are greeted in warm and attentive fashion. We have followed this up with the individual team members and given them a copy of your feedback.
We are replacing the t.v.’s on a phased basis with plasma t.v.’s. I will endeavour to expedite this process.
The rear of the hotel does over look a working yard which is maintained on a daily basis. The view towards the front of the hotel is hard to beat! I recommend to all guests to avail of a sea-view room whenever possible
I do hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay in Ireland,
Best regards,
Robert Fitzpatrick
Commodore Hotel

Reviewed 4 July 2014

On arrival we were greeted with a smile. No booking, but we still got a family room facing out to the sea. Perfect for my little man Owen. He sat by the window just looking out onto the harbour and lovely every moment, watching the ships coming in and in the morning the navy going out. He still asks when can we go back. Cobh has loads to offer people, Spike island, boat trips. if you have an hour take the train around the town you will get loads of information.
The Hotel itself is old, clean and comfortable. Staff are very friendly. the Food in the bar was perfect.
We cant wait to go back out trip was for only one night but we will be back soon.
Keep up the great work.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank flan_11

Dear reviewer,
Thank you very much for your kind comments. We were delighted to hear that you and Owen enjoyed your time in Cobh and at the Commodore Hotel.
We hope to see you all soon!
From all the staff in the Commodore Hotel

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Keeping in mind when I stay at the Commodore Hotel I am trying to integrate into the social fabric of the Irish and the heritage of the town. I haven't booked in to watch the TV all night long. Just as well actually because the TV is basic. There is a TV in every room but they are not the focal point of the room (there is a colour TV in the bar). What you will find is a clean, spacious comfortable room. Depending on what part of the hotel you are booked in you might not have wi-fi reception but most rooms offer it. Definitely in the restaurants you will have access to wi-fi. The entrance is not salubrious however I am more interested in the history of the hotel. On entering the hotel the attraction is the elegant sweeping staircase. You would want to walk the staircase simply because if is beautifully crafted. However if you have heavy luggage there is a funny little, workable, lift. I have never seen one like it anywhere else. The important thing is IT WORKS. At the top of the first flight of the staircase is a lounge and chairs and I met such wonderful people during my stay just through sitting on a lounge chair. Also a piano nearby if you happen to be talented on the key boards. The hotel has its regulars. Irish folk who visit for a couple of days simply because they love the vibes in the hotel, catching up with the staff and enjoying whatever Cobh has on offer at the time.
Breakfast is served in the spacious restaurant and is a hearty offering. Typical Irish breakfast which means there is plenty of choice. Evening meals are served n the restaurant or the pub cafe. I loved the pub cafe as I could sit and listen to everyone's chatter. Lots of different Irish accents and other tourists happily enjoying the hotel's hospitality. I didn't ever meet a staff member who wasn't pleasant and accommodating. The staff cleaning the rooms always smiling and friendly - surely a sign of well treated employees. Any requests to reception were always dealt with promptly and agreeably.
Sited very centrally the hotel is close to the train station, shops and all the tourism attractions. The vista of all the rooms at the front of the hotel - a very extensive building - face across the main road to the pier and harbour and further across the water to renown Spike Island.
An incredibly short walk away is the deepwater port of Cobh, the second deepest harbour in the world. Cruise ships regularly berth at this quayside. The Cobh Heritage Centre is a wonderful museum of memorabilia relating to ships that have berthed at the quayside - the Titanic being the most well known ship. Also highly specialised shops and cafe offering plenty of choices. Staff exceptionally helpful. The train station is next to the Cohb Heritage Centre. Trains regularly service the town with the latest train during the week leaving Cork at 7.00pm.

The train terminal being so close to the Commodore Hotel my friends from Northern Ireland hopped on a train in Newry, changed trains in Dublin and travelled down to Cobh to stay with me for a couple of days. It was such a delight to see them and they surprised me with their visit which made the experience even more special.

Room Tip: My preference would be for a room facing the water. However if you are sightseeing during the day it...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Christina H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cobh
Bella Vista Hotel & Self Catering Suites
Midleton Park Hotel
Midleton Park Hotel
#1 of 2 in Midleton
Clayton Hotel Silver Springs

Been to Commodore Hotel? Share your experiences!