“a couple of days away”
Review of Commodore Hotel

Commodore Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Cobh
Reviewed 30 July 2014

where do i start...the commodore, is a very grand old lady, who is in need off some tlc. hotel has been let go down hill somewhat..first room we got was in the back of the hotel, over looking a dustbin yard. with loud fans. the next morning i went to reception and asked to be moved, this was not a problem, and we were upgraded to a room with a sea view. if you are going to stay here i would recommend a room with a sea view. the breakfast was not great to say the least. staff are lovely, had drinks in the bar which was enjoyably.location is brilliant. lovely roof garden, great for taking photos of the town. Cobh is a great place to visit, friendly locals and lots to do. please put some money into this hotel and bring it back to its former glory, its so sad to see beautiful building like this with so much history just let go. When it could be one of the best hotels.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank kim12l

Reviewed 30 July 2014

I have been to this lovely old hotel before and love it. It may not be top notch in decor and facilities but it is amazing in its clean comfort and the huge welcome and friendly words you get from everyone on the staff.
My brother and I came over to catch up with our family in Cobh. He was very chivalrous in letting me have his allocated sea-facing room which I coveted. This was cosy and had the most magnificent view of the harbour, Spike Island and occasionally huge, luxury liners passing by the window.
Unfortunately, the room my brother ended up with, though more spacious, was a little dark and the view unattractive. So my tip would be to make sure you've got a sea-facing room when you book.
The front bar has a great atmosphere and the staff went out of their way to get my favourite tipple (not Guinness, but prosecco). On the three nights we were at The Commodore, there was a different band playing every night and all ages enjoying the music.
The building itself is 150 yrs old and its slight creakiness adds to its charm. There are lots of pleasant seating areas around if you want to meet friends or look at leaflets on what to visit locally .
Don't miss the roof garden which is not only a good photographic vantage point but also a lovely spot to read and enjoy a lunchtime sandwich, especially since there's a bit more of a breeze on hot days.
We had breakfast in the hotel every day and found both service and food to be very good. As a vegetarian I opted for the buffet breakfast (Muesli, prunes, orange juice and yoghurt from the buffet, plus tea and toast served at the table 6.50 euros. A cooked breakfast is also available at, I think, about 10 euros
The price paid for my room was £47.45, the same for my brother's without the sea view. One small gripe we had was that smoking, although banned in the public areas of the hotel, is permitted in the bedrooms ... great if you're a smoker but otherwise not so good!
That said, we both love The Commodore and had a fantastic stay. In particular, we found the staff helpful, efficient and friendly, all with very much of a 'can do' attitude. I warmly recommend it to you.

Room Tip: Book early and try to get a sea view if you want one. However, rooms at the back tend to be quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I've taken time to reflect before writing about the Commodore ... nobody likes to hear a sad story, and I certainly don't like writing one!

The Commodore hotel is a beautiful old building, of the type I truly love - wide staircases, old pics on the walls, landings with old fashioned sofas, high ceilings, and large rooms/bathrooms. The staff are excellent and they work very hard. I like it that they all seem to speak English fluently, with perhaps very little exception. I am so fed up having to spend a holiday or working break making myself understood in Ireland, and indeed, the UK.

The food in the Commodore is bad. I had a sandwich the afternoon I checked in, in the bar/lounge, where many locals seemed to be eating also. The bar menu is the usual Cobh fare of caesar salad, and then all fried stuff, which I do not like, especially when there is nothing else. I enquired about an ordinary cheese salad, on a plate ... but the nearest I could get to that was a "special" cheese sandwich with salad on the side. It was a very, very tired and wilted few pieces of lettuce, mixed up with bits and bobs of onion and stuff, which I had to leave, as clearly it came from a huge container in the kitchen and frankly, it was not fresh ... I would not care to speculate how long it had been sitting ... and was it even in a refrigerator? The toasted sandwich was not nice either. At this point, I have to say that whoever, or whatever, does the washup, needs to improve. There is a smell from the cups and they don't look clean ... and it looks like they might have been washed in greasy water ... oh dear ...

I skipped dinner at the hotel, because of that, eating out and next morning, tried breakfast, It's a buffet affair, and you may also order scrambled or poached eggs and some other things from a menu. Plenty of cereals, fruit, yogurt etc. ... I cannot fault that, even though I don't eat cold food myself at breafast. But my point is, in fairness, it's there if you want it. I took a sausage and piece of tomato and bacon from the buffet, and ordered scrambled eggs from the pleasant waitresss. The "hot" food was on top of lots of grease in the bain marie, but the tomato was not even cooked. The bacon was cold. I ate a couple of mouthfuls of bacon and left the rest. The scrambled eggs arrived ... I do not know how they do it, or what they do with it. Words fail me. It was a sloppy, runny, very pale mess on a plate, and tasted of nothing resembling egg. I enjoy eggs whether they're runny scrambled, or hard/set scrambled ... this was simply a mess. And sickening. The toast was stale ... very stale ... now and then stale bread will make perfectly adequate toast, if not ideal ... but this was stale bread. I ordered some more, which was just as bad. I will be perfectly honest, and say that the waitress was so pleasant I did not complain, nor did I say anything to her. That ... plus it was early in the morning. Tea in the Commodore is a good brew ... and the only thing I would ever order, and I would hope that they might improve their washup system.

My room and bathroom was large with a fine view, and sufficient for my needs. Water in the bathroom was only warm the first day, and tepid the next day ... it managed to get a little hotter when I was leaving. Luckily, the weather was awesomely warm.

In summary, the Commodore will continue to do business because it's an excellent location, and the staff are wonderful. It is very popular with local people, and seems to host meetings and suchlike as well.

It is neglected though, to a great extent, and the smell of greasy food pervades the entire establishment. It's not a pleasant smell, it's a rancid oily smell, and it shouldn't be all around the stairs, corridoors and landings.

They need to 'up the anti' with their food, especially breakfast, because they are letting down their wonderful staff, who as I said, are pleasant, hardworking and friendly, and are one of the few good things about this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Lucretia K
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Stayed at this hotel for one night in July 2014. It was good value for bed & breakfast, so it served my purpose. Staff were very friendly & helpful.
If visiting Cobh, its in a good location overlloking harbour.However it is in need of refurbishment, room was tired & old. Got room at back overlooking other roofs. Its tired look reflected the value price.

Room Tip: Rooms at back overlook other roofs.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 July 2014

This hotel is right on the seafront, by the old White Star Line booking office (now the Titanic Museum) and was, apparently, pretty grand in its day. It also (we found out later) played a significant part in looking after the survivors of the Lusitania as they were brought to shore. BUT, our experience was marred by having THE WORSE room at the back of the hotel overlooking what I can only describe as a junk yard (see photo). AND it was supposed to be all non-smoking but there was an ash tray in the room and it STUNK of stale cigarette smoke, The furniture was all tired 1950s veneer rubbish. Breakfast had been left too long in the bain marie. And although the hotel advertised parking it was full and we had to leave our car on the street overnight.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel is super clean very impressive , marble quite eye catching . Staff lovely in hotel , restaurant and bar. We ate in the bar area. The sofas were the most comfy ever. The food presentation was excellent taste amazing the fish was so fresh and desserts just mmm mmm! 5 star!! Definitely go we had kids too and they had great choice. Thank you!

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Mysteryshopper2013
Reviewed 6 July 2014

The hotel looks ok on booking sites, and with 79 euro being their best corporate rate for a single room i thought it would be good....

The first problem, parking..
I arrived on Saturday afternoon, to find their car park was full, nearest spot i could get parked was a few hundred metres away.

Came down to the restaurant, stood and waited at the door to be seated for ten minutes, but there was no space for me.

Lady on reception was ok, but not capable of checking your online booking on her system.

Overall it did the job, i found a nice Chinese restaurant to eat in. Room looks like the carpet and decor have been left unchanged since the Titanic last visited the town. The 12" tv was fine if you sat on the end of the bed to see it. The view from my window was of an embankment, rusty fire escapes, gas tanks, and piles of beer bottles, didn't bother me, but not exactly as described.
Conclusion, if your not fussy, then its somewhere to lay your head for the night, but that's about it, and 50 euro pet night would be plenty

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank ronniecu
commodorehotel, General Manager at Commodore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. We are disappointed that we did not meet your satisfaction on this occasion. We understand that it is key we offer you, our customer, value for money and I can understand why you feel we did not do this on your recent visit.
In relation to our staff I can assure that this is the exception rather than the norm. We pride ourselves on how friendly we are and will ensure that customers are greeted in warm and attentive fashion. We have followed this up with the individual team members and given them a copy of your feedback.
We are replacing the t.v.’s on a phased basis with plasma t.v.’s. I will endeavour to expedite this process.
The rear of the hotel does over look a working yard which is maintained on a daily basis. The view towards the front of the hotel is hard to beat! I recommend to all guests to avail of a sea-view room whenever possible
I do hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay in Ireland,
Best regards,
Robert Fitzpatrick
Commodore Hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cobh
Bella Vista Hotel & Self Catering Suites
Midleton Park Hotel
Midleton Park Hotel
#1 of 2 in Midleton
Clayton Hotel Silver Springs

Been to Commodore Hotel? Share your experiences!