“Pros and Cons of our stay plus summary”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Dublin, Ireland
“Absolutely Awful”
Reviewed 6 March 2017 for a stay in February 2017
people found this review helpful

Sometimes when things are so awful they are amusing....this was not! When we finally found the house which was unfortunately positioned beside a building site we found it to be cold, poorly furnished, even lacking a television....not that there does be much on! There was however an open fire and after consulting the manual, I thought it could not only add heat but create some form of an atmosphere within the house. After a couple of hours we went to visit our relations and begin enjoying Cobh. Within a half an hour the hosts wife called my mobile insisting we return immediately as we had committed a cardinal sin by lighting a fire as a house a few doors down had unfortunately burned down. We obviously could have not have known this and certainly did not start that fire, nor had we intended on burning down this house though it would possibly be a good start should they wish to make improvements. The following morning while having breakfast and still in our pyjamas our host called to the house. We asked him to return when we were dressed but he refused. He also refused to speak to us as a group but insisted on speaking only to my mother, however as he began shouting and towering aggressively over my mother, my brother soon felt the need to intervene. A most unreasonable and unpleasant argument ensued and we really felt we had no choice but to leave, especially after he chose to launch a vicious verbal personal attack on me! Patrick agreed not to charge us and we packed and left as soon as we found alternative accommodation. We referred the matter to airbandb as soon as we arrived home, however our hosts delayed response meant we could not review their house within the required 14 days, they claimed they had not agreed to a refund and we were charged 420 euro for our stay. I cannot stress enough how awful we found the both the house and our lying hosts, and can only hope they used our 420 euro to make their house safe for any future guests.

Date of stay: February 2017
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
21 Mar 2017
Dear Rosie,

I understand your stay with your family in our house did not meet your expectations. I would like to take this opportunity to answer your disgruntled points as you are a disgruntled guest.

Firstly, I will always remain very surprised by people who are more interested into a Television than social interaction. In your case, you didn’t even salute my husband when he welcomed you at the car as your second comment to him was regarding the Television (or lack of it) (the first comment was regarding the bollard than we kindly place in front of the house to secure a parking space for our guests, and your third comment in the same breath was looking for our bathroom). Your stay didn’t start well, as you were so disgruntled by a lack of television for a 2 nights week-end away with your family, when it is explained in our description that we don’t have one!
All our guests can enjoy a fast reliable WIFI Broadband during their stay and they can even watch TV Programs on their tablet should they wish to do so by downloading a TV App. The lack of TV has never been an issue and on the contrary, guests have praised us for being able to discover the town, and enjoying a fun family game for example rather than sitting in front of a TV during their holidays. You should have brought that book that you mentioned to my husband.

Secondly, regarding the open fire incident (I haven’t spoken yet to any religious authority to judge whether this is a mortal sin or not), I have to explain that even though we do have charming old features like an authentic open fire, there was nothing in the house to allow for lightening a fire (coal, etc.) and my husband was just 2 doors up or ready to answer a phone call, if you had a question regarding the open-fire, which he had discussed with you on arrival whilst showing you around the house. Previous guests have asked us questions and also asked about the fire place. We do not write everything and anything in the house manual as we believe in common sense also. We were very surprised by your irresponsible behaviour of lighting an open fire, and then leaving it unattended, leaving the house for 6 hours. I haven’t yet met anyone who would leave their own house unattended with an open fire full ongoing.
Regarding the heating in the house, you are right that February 2017 was a bit cold, quite surprisingly for Ireland at that time of the year! The heating was on days before your arrival and hot water bottles were placed in your beds to warm up your stay, and provide the cosy feeling. We do have an efficient timer system for the heating that works well, and you can certainly push the heating on constant should you want to get constant heating. This was well explained to your mother at your arrival, and this is also well explained in the house manual, but you Rosie had no interest in listening to any of what my husband had to say regarding the house (heating, etc).

On your point regarding the discussion the following morning, I am sorry that you were caught in your pyjamas, but you never offered to come back later and quite rudely dismissed my husband attempt to explain the reasons why there cannot be an open fire in the fireplace. As you were not the one who did the booking, he genuinely asked to speak to your mother Helena, who did organise the booking. He remained very professional, calm and open with all of you, but he was welcomed by a barrage of aggressive behaviour and rude comments from your party. He specified that you were more than welcome to stay for your second night, but you decided from your own volition to find an alternative accommodation as you didn’t feel comfortable anymore.
I have to say that the fact that you didn’t receive your money back from AirBnB, after making a complaint to them, demonstrate that you were wrong in what your did to us and to our house during your stay. Indeed, after asking our side of the story, AirBnB decided not to give you your money back. They didn’t even allow you to write a review on their website, so you found the easy way of writing a review on a competitor website!
In short, we believe our house is very comfortable, well situated and that we do offer a good service to our guests, the number of incredible positive reviews will demonstrate that. The fact that you didn’t respect our house and my husband as a host didn’t make thing very smooth indeed during your stay.
Helena E
“Ms”
Reviewed 6 March 2017 for a stay in February 2017
people found this review helpful

Had the misfortune to stay here in February 2017. It was freezing and there was no heat on when we arrived. Some hours later the house was still freezing so, having checked the house manual and no warning in it, we lit the fire. We went out to a family occasion and received 2 calls from C arole that we were to return immediately to put the fire out due to some problem with the chimney
We gave permission for her husband to enter the house which he did. He turned off the heat and left the fire as it was. The following morning he asked us to leave and stated he would issue refund which he didn't. I was horrified that there was some fire hazard and we were not advised nor was there any reference in the manual. While this seems to be a nice looking house it is not suitable for times when it is cold and there are instructions not to leave the central heating on constant. I would still worry about why we received the calls about the chimney problem.

Date of stay: February 2017
21 Mar 2017
Dear Helena,

As your comments are regarding the same booking as your daughter Rosie who commented also, please find below our response to you.

Firstly, I will always remain very surprised by people who are more interested into a Television than social interaction. In your case, you didn’t even salute my husband when he welcomed you at the car as your second comment to him was regarding the Television (or lack of it) (the first comment was regarding the bollard than we kindly place in front of the house to secure a parking space for our guests, and your third comment in the same breath was looking for our bathroom). Your stay didn’t start well, as you were so disgruntled by a lack of television for a 2 night week-end away with your family, when it is explained in our description that we don’t have one!

Quest6729...
“Pros and Cons of our stay plus summary”
Reviewed 4 January 2017 for a stay in December 2016

Positives
From the first enquiry I had a good impression of both Carole and Patrick and we were not disappointed. Both are lovely and down to earth. Which is always a good start.

The house was perfectly adequate to cater for 8 - 10 guests. The living room was an ample size and the kitchen was large. I don't think the photos do the size of the house justice, as I expected a much smaller living area.

The proximity to the town is fantastic. Literally 100 meters to the titanic museum in the heart of Cobh. With both restaurants "the Waterfront" and "Gilbert's" nearby. There's an array of bars to chose from too and convenience stores, such as centra. Also the costal walk is beautiful. If you are driving you are 15 minutes to an array of attractions. So you will be spoilt for choice.

We had read the reviews prior to arriving and had concerns around parking facilities. There was absolutely no issues in this regard. There is literally a car park 20 meters up the hill.

The property is located on a steep hill. Many might see this as a negative but I believe it's a positive, due to the beautiful views of the harbour and spike island.

Negatives
The house is located on a scenic and private residential estate so neighbours must be respected. A house of 8-10 people over New Year's Eve is likely to make a reasonable amount of noise (within reason). In our case they're were no complaints whatsoever and we left to the town centre between 9.30/10pm. However we were quite conscious of this, which made it difficult to relax at times.

We wished to cosy up in front of the TV and watch a film on our final evening. Unfortunately, there was no TV. I think this facility would be a good addition.

The kitchen is well facilitated. A microwave would be a convenient addition but by no means a major requirement.

We were not aware towels were available until the evening of day 2. This may have been the fault of one of the group as he received the detailed tour of the property with Carole (as I was late). However, the rest of the group were unaware of the linen storage and hence there were no towels in the bathrooms on arrival.

Summary
A great house/home to stay in. Caters perfectly for a large group of up to 10 people. The property has lots of character and clearly has received a lot of work with a fantastic extension for a large kitchen and bathrooms (the latter on the first floor). Proximity to the town is brilliant. A great base from which to visit Cork in a scenic tranquil setting. Lovely pleasant hosts to match.

Thanks Carole and Patrick.

Date of stay: December 2016
nicolebur
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Amazingly hospitable hosts!”
Reviewed 29 December 2016 for a stay in October 2016

When our trip to Cobh in October did not quite go to plan due to circumstances beyond our control - we were completely bowled over by Carole and Patrick's patience and kindness in helping us resolve things. They are a genuinely lovely couple who want nothing more than to share their property and a place that they love and make sure that their guests have a happy and memorable time. We are very grateful and can't wait to see visit in August 2017.

Date of stay: October 2016
31 Dec 2016
Dear Nicole, thank you so much for your review, it is important for us! We are looking forward to host you and we are pleased to have helped you!
caseyjDES...
Green Bay, Wisconsin
“Great stay! Huge house!”
Reviewed 18 October 2016 for a stay in October 2016

This house in Cobh was very close to all the restaurants, pubs and shopping. There are several large bedrooms, a giant kitchen, nice dining/living areas and 2 bathrooms. The owners were very responsive to questions. Check-in was easy and accommodating. Wifi was the fastest, most reliable internet we've had anywhere in Ireland, which was important to us! We didn't have a car so the hills to the house were a little steep for walking, but we managed. Neighborhood felt very safe. So other than missing any TV and the dryer not working, our stay was very very good and we would probably return when in Cobh again. We were very satisfied overall.

Date of stay: October 2016
6 Nov 2016
Thank you very much for your stay! It was a pleasure to welcome you and we hope you will come back again very soon!
Trail6020...
“Ideal spot, Victorian home as ment to be, wonderfull hosts”
Reviewed 28 August 2016 for a stay in July 2016
person found this review helpful

A cosy Victorian house, with the waterfront and the pub in walking distance. All the cons of 19th century homes have been solved: 2 bathrooms, proper beds and bedding, a big kitchen with all the goodies for proper cooking and entertaining, and, minor detail, free front door parking. However, there are always minor, though important, issues to be solved. On that aspect Carole and Patrick are hard to beat. Simply hosts in the truest sense of the word.

Date of stay: July 2016
Travelling group: Extended Family
31 Aug 2016
Thank you very much for your review! We loved having you in the house and we are looking forward to welcome you again!
Thank you!
Carole & Patrick
StrayAdve...
York, PA
“Owners went above and beyond in every way!!!”
Reviewed 27 June 2016 for a stay in June 2016

We just finished a month in Cobh at this house and had a fantastic trip due in large part to Patrick and Carole (and their mother Marion). The house is right in middle of the picturesque Deck of Cards ( steep walk but you get use to it).
Very generous owners who went out of their way to make us feel welcome and showed great hospitality. All 3 of them were extremely friendly, warm people. We even had the enjoyment of golfing with Patrick, although due to his schedule that may not always be possible, we at least had the pleasure as he tried to walk us into the course ( he is a runner and often runs this course in spite of the elevation changes, so we never really had a chance ;-) )
I would definitely recommend this place and am so glad we chose to stay here.
The location is close to smaller stores like Spar, Centra (easy walking distance) with Lidl, Aldi and Supervalu not too far away (still walking distance, but probably better for a car if you are getting any amount of groceries). Also several eating options withing short walking distance both up on top (Sorrentos) or bottom of the hill. And the views are really beautiful, and picturesque with many people taking pictures from various spots on the hill or in the park across the street from the house.
At times in this house we had 8 adults and an 8 year old, even with 9 of us there was plenty of space.
One word of advice for US travelers, the water is very good out of tap. As many times we travel and expect it not to be good we ended up buying water

Date of stay: June 2016
Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The owners
Liked least: Backing up into the parking spaces on the hill
Travelling group: Extended Family
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.