“Get a plumber!!!”

Top of The Hill Hostel
cork
“Get a plumber!!!”
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I stayed one night in this hostel in the lovely Baltimore. I had a twin room to myself which was clean and bright but very sparsely furnished with just two beds in it and nothing else - no bedside lamps or lockers. The room was basic but fine.
This hostel has one male bathroom and one female bathroom, each with just one toilet. The hostel sleeps 24 people yet only has two toilets?? There are two showers in each bathroom but everyone locks the bathroom door so in effect there are only 2 showers available in the hostel too. But it gets worse...
I was told by a staff member how to reset the pump under the stairs if the water wasn't flowing. Sure enough first thing in the morning, there was no water. Off down the stairs in my towel to reset the pump. And what a welcome for me in the bathroom!! A whole night's toilet use and no flushing. Not very pleasant. And apart from no water going to the cistern, the handle on the toilet was broken and I could only flush it by taking the lid off. So the only toilet available to males in the hostel doesn't work.
It was unsanitary and very unpleasant. How can anyone keep a hostel open without working toilets or consistent running water, even if only for one day and I suspect that this pump issue is an ongoing one.
Apart from the staff member who showed me the pump( who seemed very nice and gave me a towel), I didn't encounter anyone else there so can't really comment on the staffing.
There is also what looked like a well equipped kitchen with a cat living in it which wouldn't bother me but might upset a lot of people.
I suspect that the local health inspector would have an interesting time in this hostel!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank The_Black_Rider

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baltimore
Casey's of Baltimore, Hotel
#1 of 7 in Skibbereen
The Waterfront
The Waterfront
#6 of 12 in Baltimore

Been to Top of The Hill Hostel? Share your experiences!