“5 star rooms, 4 star resort and service”

Castlemartyr Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Castlemartyr
Waterford, Ireland
“5 star rooms, 4 star resort and service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

The bedrooms at castlemartyr are large, comfy and what you would expect from a 5 star but as with the rest of the resort they let themselves down with attention to detail, little things like no biscuits in the room with your coffee to a door knob broken in the bathroom.

The pool is nice but nothing special, having to pay 3 euro for a swimming hat is another thing I feel should be complimentary for the price of the rooms at this resort.

The bikes are fun bonus activity but be careful the breaks don't work and they are a bit old and wobbly

We had dinner in the Italian restaurant which is great value and good food but the service is not up to standard. Forgetting things like offering Parmesan and cutlery. Also no need for a jumper the place is roasting I would even think about wearing shorts the next time....

Breakfast was poor to average, from poor hostess and service to very small boring looking portion. We got the eggs Benedict you would need to order two for the one person.

All in all it's a four star hotel, we enjoyed our stay but we will explore other 5 star options on our next cork visit.

1 Thank Ryan M
GMCastlemartyr, General Manager at Castlemartyr Resort, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear Ryan M,
Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your overall stay here in the Resort. Please get in touch with me directly here in the Hotel if you ever plan a return trip to Cork. I will look after your booking personally. I have spoken with the team directly this morning and I have highlighted the concerns you raised. The bikes that we have on the Resort are pedal back-breaks, I just wanted to highlight it for our other future guests who may be reading this, helmets are also provided upon request. I look forward to welcoming you to Castlemartyr.
Sincerely
Cathal Lynch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
  • Greek first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

We really enjoyed our stay in the Castlemartyr Resort but considering us a 5* hotel was a little disappointed as on my first night I had some mojitos and on having lunch in the bar the following day I asked for a mojito to be told that they were out of mint leaves which can happen so thought nothing more. That night before dinner we went for a drink before dinner and yet again I ordered a mojito and was told again they were out of mint leaves. Was really annoyed at this as they had known since lunch and a few other people were ordering the same to be turned down. I then asked for a different drink to be told they didn't have it. Later in the night a couple ordered a drink to be told they were out of Bacardi and tonic water. This should not happen in a 5* hotel and definitely not with the prices they charge.

Room Tip: Upgrades from Deluxe rooms are fantastic.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Coraudi
GMCastlemartyr, General Manager at Castlemartyr Resort, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
Dear Coraudi,

Many thanks indeed for your recent review. I am glad that you enjoyed your overall stay. I have discussed the issues that you highlighted in the Knights Bar with the Food and Beverage team. Your review has certainly highlighted some training needs which have been swiftly addressed thanks to your review, for this we thank you sincerely. We look forward to seeing you here at the Resort some time soon.

Regards
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

Love this hotel !! Have stayed there with and without children and it's a fantastic break. The hotel is beautiful - stunning old building and the new part is very well designed. The interior is beautiful. The pool is gorgeous - bit restrictive in terms of childrens hours for a family hotel but all round it works out. The houses are really stunning with lots of little touches that make a difference like the welcome baskets and extra towels for swimming.
Restaurants are fantastic, amazing winelist and the food really is stunning. Very highly recommended !!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank pradagirl74
Dear pradagirl74,

We are thrilled with your recent review!! We really do embrace families here at the Resort. Kepp an eye out on our website for the new and improved "Top Dogs and Little Paws" kids club, it starts on the next mid term at Easter and runs throughout the summer months. I will certainly pass your lovely comments to all involved.
We look forward to seeing you all here at the Castlemartyr Resort very soon.

Cathal Lynch and all the Team!
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

We recently had our wedding at Castlemartyr and everything was fantastic. Jackie, our wedding co-ordinator was very helpful and thoroughly efficient at all stages of the process and she made every effort to meet all our requests. The hotel, the food, the service and the attention of the staff to every detail was fantastic both on the day itself but also the next day, with a late breakfast note to our guests, served in a separate room, adding floral bouquets to the breakfast room etc. We had a fantastic wedding at Castlemartyr and would definitely recommend it as a wedding venue.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank AnonymousTA
Dear AnonymousTA,

Thank you so much for submitting your feedback. At Castlemartyr we really do strive to be the best, its clear from your review that we certainly ticked alot of boxes!! We are very proud of our hotel and our staff. Jackie Day and the team in the Events Department, certainly have honed their skills down through the years and as a result they are able to provide an exceptional experience, making your special day even more memorable. I hope you both get the chance to return soon to us, maybe for your first anniversary!
Many thanks once again
Cathal, Jackie and all the Team.
Co.Meath
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Beautiful rooms. Spa staff exceptional ! Food was delicious we ate on the first night in the bell restaurant. I had asked to replace the creamed potatoes accompanying my meal with a side salad. But it didn't happen. The entertainment in the bar on the Friday night was really good and the atmosphere was really good. We ate in franchinis on the Saturday night. The restaurant was uncomfortably warm. We waited nearly 25 mins to give our order. But when we finally got served the waitress was very apologetic. Food again was delicious. Overall a lovely stay. Staff very friendly including the two beautiful house dogs :-D

1 Thank slane62
Dear slane62,

Thank you very much for submitting your review. You have certainly helped in highlighting some training needs and rest assured these will be rectified swiftly. We are delighted that the other elements of your stay were not overshadowed by some of the failings you encountered. Please accept our apologies for these shortcomings. I will indeed pass on your comments about the "Delicious Food" to Executive Chef Kevin Burke and his Team.
Once again thanks for the review, we look forward to welcoming you back to Caslemartyr.
Regards
Cathal and all the team & (Earl and Countess!)
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

Spent a recent Saturday night as a special occasion in Castlemartyr resort recently. Must say I was more than a little surprised at the lack of 5 star service. To start off, after being allocated our room we were given directions to the room (via the lift). I was amazed as to the distance just to the lift (3 minute walk through the building). What really disappointed us was that, at no stage on checking in were we offered any assistance whatsoever carrying our bags. We walked for 3 minutes hauling our luggage and in fact one of the reception staff walked the whole way behind us but made no effort to assist (even an offer might have restored some faith).

I had made an enquiry the day before arrival regarding eating in the resort but was never offered a reservation despite the fact that on check in, the main restaurant was booked out.
We did get a later space in the Italian restaurant which I must say had very pleasant and attentive waiting staff and very good food. However, something that I found strange was that even though we sat down at 9pm, our seat was directly opposite a door into the childs playroom and there 2 children running in and out all the time and we had to ask for a different seat. (strange place to have the playroom?).

The room and the facilities were excellent, certainly 5 star luxury in that respect, however in my travels I have to say this was the first Hotel I ever visited from 3 to 5 star that didn't even offer us any assistance on check in. We are a middle aged couple but were left to our own devices in that respect.
Finally, while this may seem a little petty, it really added to my experience, I asked reception on my way to breakfast if there were any newspapers available, I was given one, and to my horror was billed for it, despite the fact it was printed on it "complimentary copy, not for re-sale".

I hope my experience was an isolated one and I'm quite sure most customers will have a very pleasant experience, but alas I cannot be so positive.

Room Tip: As near to reception as possible.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bert M
Dear Bert M,

Thank you very much for your recent review. It is evident from your review that we have let you down in a number of ways. Our mission is to give all of our guests an exceptional level of service. I am sorry that we didnt meet all of your needs on this occasion. Please contact me directly here at the Resort if you are ever planning a trip to Cork. I will look after you booking personally.
Many thanks
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

OMG. This hotel is amazing, check in on fri throw the car keys away and just relax, swim walk drink eat, spa. Best staff ever not a bit overpowering but just right, rooms perfect clean and some lovely little touches. Food in both restaurants are out of this world and the eggs benedict for breakfast are incredible. I genuinely can't wait to return. Thank C M R.

1 Thank Bobby E
Dear Bobby E,

OMG! what a great review, we are all thrilled with your comments. Thank you so much for rating our staff as "The Best Ever"
We certainly have a great team here, they are loyal, proud and professional and the best asset any great hotel can have. Go Team Castlemartyr! We look forward to your return and another great review....

Many thanks
Cathal Lynch and all the Team.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castlemartyr
Fota Island Resort
Garryvoe Hotel
#1 of 1 in Garryvoe
Midleton Park Hotel
#1 of 2 in Midleton

Been to Castlemartyr Resort? Share your experiences!