“Lovely setting”

Castlemartyr Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Castlemartyr
Reviewed 6 April 2014

The hotel is lovely, room and bathroom are fab, very relaxing bar area and lounges. However the breakfast was very very disappointing, not cooked fresh and really should be in a 5* hotel, service was very good. The Italian was lovely we had a meal there. The wine is expensive but very good.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ClonmelTipp
GMCastlemartyr, General Manager at Castlemartyr Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear ClonmelTipp,

Thank you for your recent review on Castlemartyr. I am delighted that your stay overall was a pleasant one. I have investigated your breakfast experience with the kitchen team for the morning you stayed here. I am sorry that you felt it was not cooked to order.
If I can be of any further assistance or you wish to return to Castlemartyr please contact me directly and I will be delighted to take care of the details of your reservation personally for you.

Warm Regards
Cathal Lynch

Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

I can't decide about this place. Nothing major to complain about but nothing major to rave about either.
Lovely grounds for a walk. Food in Italian was ok - again nothing spectacular but fine.
Room was huge but had wooden floors. I prefer nice fluffy carpets in hotels.
Breakfast was fine.
I don't like the disjointed feel to the place. It's a bit all over the place and is a LONG walk to and from the rooms to the reception/ bar areas. Annoying!

Staff are lovely.

Overall fine but probably wouldn't go back based on price. A little expensive for an offseason overnighter that was only ok.

• Stayed: March 2014

Dear Travelire,

Thanks for your recent review. I would love the opportunity to discuss some elements of your stay. I am glad that you found the staff to be great, they really are a great asset to the company and we are very proud of them.

Cathal and all the Team.

Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights- a Friday and Saturday. This hotel is definitely not a 5 star hotel, but then again, given all the specials and promotions, neither are its prices.

Room was fine, nothing special. No mini bar- fridge was stripped of everything apart from the complimentary water- suggesting the majority of guests are not 5 star either... Toiletries were not replenished at turndown.

We ate in the casual Italian the first night and were extremely disappointed. The food was bland, processed and extremely overpriced for what it was. The cured meat selection was straight out of Lidl. The wine was very poor also (we actually ordered 4different bottles at varying prices as met some friends there). The staff were extremely familiar and relaxed- again not befitting of a 5 star hotel (more where we'd take our 3 young children for €15 for 3 courses/kids eat free kind of place).

Bar staff were attentive yet discrete, helpful yet unobtrusive. Prices were expensive for wine and G&T's.

Breakfast next morning was the usual buffet affair. Had to ask twice for our coffees. Still waiting on our second order of toast.

Took the bicycles to explore the next day. The grounds are fabulous and well worth exploring. Would be very disappointed if we were staying in the adjoining cottages with our children as they are some distance from the hotel- especially at night with young children.

The spa and swimming pool area was extremely disappointing. Small pool, absolutely tiny jacuzzi, and the spa consisted of a sauna, steam room and 2 showers- that's it!! We had hoped to spend a few hours there unwinding.

Given the prices of the Italian for what was cheap and bland food, we elected not to eat in the Bell Tower on the Saturday evening as the menu was uninspiring to say the least.

I would return, but only on a bargain deal which I spotted on their Facebook page (€70 per might per person with breakfast and dinner), as this is all its worth.

We have stayed in 5 star hotels in Ireland, alas this is not one of them on any level- rooms, food, service or facilities.

In summary Castlemartyr is definitely indicative of a hotel in financial trouble. If you're expecting 5 star you're likely to be extremely disappointed- corners have been cut left right and centre. However if you fancy a nice relaxing few days away in beautiful surroundings and get a good deal, this is what you will get.

Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank AdiH
GMCastlemartyr, General Manager at Castlemartyr Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear AdiH,

Thanks for your recent review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay here with us. I have highlighted some of the minor details that you have mentioned to my department heads. It is only through this valuble feedback that we are able to better ourselves and our product.
We look forward to your next visit to Castlemartyr Resort.
All at Castlemartyr

Reviewed 30 March 2014

I had the misfortune of booking afternoon tea yesterday (29/3/14) for my birthday with my mom. We thought we would treat ourselves, it being Mother's Day today also.
Afternoon tea was offered at €24 for one and €32 for a champagne tea. Quite reasonable we thought.

We arrived 30 minutes early and sat in the bar for a glass of champagne. The building is beautiful, the cleanliness is superb but there is ZERO atmosphere. On entering we noticed it seems to be table service so we sat and waited...and waited. Eventually my mom ordered at the bar and was told the drinks ( tap water and a glass of champagne ) would be brought to us and it was, another 10 minutes later before they arrived and the bar wasn't even busy.

While we waited, we over heard a woman sitting behind us complain to a waiter that their food hadn't arrived, and that the service was not of a 5star standard. We do not know how long they were waiting, but 20 minutes later, and half way through our drinks, only then had their food arrived without as much as an apology from the staff.

We made our way to their drawing room for afternoon tea. The room was a duck egg colour and very dark. The entire event was a disaster from start to finish. The service and quality of the food was a major let down to this beautiful building. The waiter suggested we only go for one afternoon tea as there was 'quite a lot on it' for two people.
On arrival, there was a white bread sandwich with absolutely no filling. It was suppose to be egg and sun dried tomato but it was just butter...I kid you not. The edges of the bread were almost stale. The next was a brown bread, chicken and rocket sandwich but it tasted like chicken and stuffing mix with way too much wholegrain mustard. No sign of rocket at all. The last was the worst, a small sunflower soda bread circle with smoked salmon. Just smoked salmon on bread, no butter, no sauce and definitely no horseradish as stated. The awful thing, was the salmon was hard around the edges as if it was left out all day so it was painfully dry and tasteless.

The second tier was two very floury scones, one plain and one fruit, no jam, no butter and a spoon of whipped cream. DISASTER! Where's the clotted cream as promised? (to me, its the epitome of a good afternoon tea). We had to ask for butter and jam which was taken off a table behind us that had just left, and left it untouched. Nothing fresh. (Not a big deal, but not 5*).
Last, but certainly not least were the little petite four desserts on top. One was, what looked like a lime colis with white chocolate mousse on top, served in a shot glass. No cutlery was provided for it, it was completely solid so I couldn't drink it, and every time I tried to ask a waiter they were no where to be found! I managed to scrape the top with my tea spoon to taste a little of the mousse. The second was a raspberry mille-feuille, with a half raspberry in between the hardest pastry, and last a version of tiramisu almost but was awful and just full of water. (possibly from frozen? I wouldn't be surprised) Needless to say these were TINY. Less than bite-sized and most definitely not enough to share. Nothing about it was sophisticated, elegant and it lacked taste and passion.

Before the Afternoon tea arrived, I decided to opt to the champagne tea, thinking all that would change is the glass of champagne included, and a change of price... no big deal right? Wrong!
The response I got was, "your order has already been put through, so I can't change it to champagne tea". Bewildered by this, I just ordered a glass separately, and it took so long, that I just cancelled it as the tea arrived. The excuse was 'Sorry, I was looking for a bottle of champagne' FIVE STAR SERVICE, SORRY WHAT? No bottle of champagne around, at all. Unbelievable.

The last fumble was entirely down to poor service. (Now just to clarify, when I say poor service, I want to state that the waiters serving us were polite, young and local people who were just not trained in what is meant to be 5-star service). Our second pot of tea arrived, a change from the original tea ordered and we didn't get fresh cups.

Disaster. Disaster. Disaster. Do not be fooled by their elegant photos on their website, it's truly the complete opposite.
While the The Resort is stunning, the grounds; beautiful, the rooms are amazing and the entire inside and out is so well looked after it has changed dramatically for the worse. (I was here 2-3 years ago for a weekend wedding). The management has let the staff down, in my opinion. There is a complete lack of consideration for their guests, be it daily or hotel guests. There is obviously a complete lack of training and this, to me, is solely down to management that are either out of their depth, or who just do not care. It is a true shame to see a gem like this resort suffer at the hands of bad management... just my opinion!!

Personally, never again will I darken their doors.
Hayfield manor is by far superior in every way imaginable.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
14  Thank Hilary O
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Sorry to say that the property is poorly maintained, grounds are unkempt and the breakfast service was insufferably slow. It really was embarrassing to see what this hotel has become. Staff did not really care for feedback.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Killian O
GMCastlemartyr, General Manager at Castlemartyr Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear Killian O,

Thanks for your review. We are currently looking at revamping our parking system. During the recent storms we had 35 trees fall on the grounds. As you can imagine there has been alot of heavy machinery in and around the hotel to remove the fallen, most of them were 200+ year old everygreen oak.

If there is anything I can do to persuade you to give us another visit, please dont hesitate to contact me directly.

Sincerely
Cathal Lynch

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Location and the property is fantastic, all weel kept and nice. However the first minor thing to annoy me is the complete lack of parking, especially if the golf course is busy. Had to park on the side of the small road and was just hoping the following the morning that the car wasn't hit during the night.

Had a Junior Suite for the evening which was wonderful, lots of space, nicely furnished, fabulous black marble bathroom with his and her sinks and a lovely deep bath. But again small problems. Some of the light fittings didn't always work with the touchscreen pads. As usual with most hotel the TV service was very poor, no online billing info etc. However everything was spotless and in a very quiet part of the hotel.

Pool area is very nice, my wife had a deep tissure massage which I'm told was lovely, plus she got her hair done and was happy....BUT...suana and syeam room, along with the showers in that area, seemed grubby, lots of used water cups sitting all over the place, needed a generla clean up.

Dinner was very nice, no complaints, again very nice and attentive staff but something was always missing. They only had one wine menu in the bar..which someone else had so we ordered blind. there was a wedding on so they had no wine glasses in the bar! The following morning at breakfast they neglected to tell us where the buffet was...just small silly things that took the sparkle off.

Would recommend but lacks the cutting edge.

Room Tip: Suites are fab