“If their where a 6* B&B this is it !!!”
Review of Abbey House B&B

Abbey House B&B
Ranked #1 of 4 Thomastown B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“If their where a 6* B&B this is it !!!”
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Greeted on arrival with polite friendly young Lady that was more than helpful as i was late ariving due to the ferry running late into Rosslare. The room was fantastic with every amienty covered. Comfy quiet location and slept really well. Breakfast was excellent, highly recommend the fried breakfast. The owner came to say hello and again checked that all was ok and was i happy. If their was a Six Star B&B this is it. I have stayed in B&B all over Ireland and the UK this one wins hands down. Great experience with a family feel around it and good people with a good sense of humour. Many Thanks and see you soon.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Reviewed 4 June 2013

We have just returned from a fabulous stay at Abbey House while attending a wedding at Mount Juliet, a great alternative and very close. We were greeted by a lovely lady Linda who was around for the whole weekend if we needed anything. Our room was bright, fresh and most importantly spotlessly clean. The breakfast was scrumptious and there was more of everything if you wanted it! We will definitely return again if we find ourselves in that part of the country. Highly recommend if attending a function in Mount Juliet. 5 minutes in a taxi. Thanks to all the staff, especially to the two adorable little girls of the house Grace & Emily.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2013 via mobile

We have stayed before but I have to say it just gets better and better. The location is so close to Mount Juliet and its every bit as good,the rooms are spectacular and spotless. The welcome from the family is warm and genuine even though the lady of the house was not around her daughter is cut from the same cloth. But the breakfast just gets better and better, fresh juice, fresh fruit, home cooked trout, French toast and a full breakfast like I never have tasted. This place is a gem and at €40 a steal.

• Stayed June 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 22 May 2013

This started badly. The website co-ordinates given were 38 Km out. Luckily, I knew roughly where to go anyway. On arrival, I was "greeted" by a grumpy lady (not the owner). There was no welcome, just an offer of a cup of tea made with such lack of enthusiasm that it sounded like she was daring me to accept. I declined. I mentioned the wrong GPS location to the husband (nothing to do with me), then to the son (I wouldn't know about that, but I'll get my mother). I waited 15 minutes, but neither mother nor son reappeared. The room was clean, and the shower was hot. Plenty of bedding, good sheets, and towels that were like sandpaper. Breakfast was very good, plenty of cereals, fresh fruit, and a cooked breakfast to order. Four times, I heard groans of "Oh God", coming from the kitchen, which was strange to say the least. Conversation is definitely not the owner's strongpoint. Neither is smiling. I mentioned the GPS issue to her, and I wished I hadn't. Her response was to say she knew nothing about it - she wouldn't even know who to contact to fix it - and she went on to moan about some confusion between her phone number and that of another local business. A simple "thank you for pointing that out", would have been a lot nicer. The advantage a B&B has over a hotel is supposed to be that it is more personal, and more like being in a family home than an anonymous hotel. I can honestly say that I been made feel more welcome in hotels where no-one speaks English than I was in this establishment. This is a shame, because the house is lovely, and there is a nice river at the back. There is a fine lounge area for relaxing, and a good selection of reading material. The beds are comfy, and it is very clean. And the food is excellent. The owner acted as though she wishes she would have preferred if I stayed somewhere else, and after this sort of welcome, she need not worry, because I won't be back.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
London
Reviewed 7 November 2012

A very good friend of mine stayed at Abbey House while attending my wedding. She described Abbey House as a home away from home with stellar service and told me to review it as she didnt have a Tripadvisor account. For EUR75 per night, she had a big room which was clean and well maintained and a great breakfast for 2 daily. They also very kindly picked her up from the train station, sent her to the church for the wedding and took her back to the train station after her stay without charge. Excellent and warm service. It was her first time in Ireland and her stay gave her a very good impression of the country. The house is also by the river and offers great views and is very peaceful. She loved it by all accounts.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank YiiYng
Marinha Grande, Portugal
Reviewed 18 October 2012

We found the house has a great location for the Kilkenny area. Also with Jerpoint Abbey right in front of us, we had to visit it and we had one of the best guided tours in Ireland! The situation was so good that we went there every night, after dinner, to play hide-and-seek with our teenage boys - we had great fun there!
In what concerns the b&b itself, we had a family room that consisted of two large double beds, but they forgot we were four and only left towels for two... Also the lady of the house seemed in a hurry during those days, so we hardly saw her and found the welcoming a bit cold...
The house has the most incredible blue living room, but the sofas are quite faded (in terms of comfort). We met a very nice Irish couple there, that used the house as a base for Mount Juliet, so it seems a nice option as a base for Mount Juliet golfers!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 September 2012

My daughter and I stayed at Abbey House in July. Helen greeted us and gave us tea in the sunroom so we could relax a bit after our drive.
Our travel agent was unable to arrange a cooking class for us at Ballymaloe and asked Helen for another recommendation. Helen offered to have us cook with her in her kitchen! We made scones and brown bread then ate them in the dining room! We were lucky she had some time to sit and chat with us about growing up in Ireland.
Helen recommended we have dinner at Sol Bistro in the little village or Thomastown. It was extraordinary!
The visit to Jerpoint Abbey was very informative. Our guide spent a lot of time with us and we almost had the place to ourselves. It is definitely worth a visit.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thomastown
Kilkenny River Court Hotel
Butler House
Butler House
#6 of 73 in Kilkenny
Newlands Country House B&B

Been to Abbey House B&B? Share your experiences!