“Wonderful afternoon tea”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Thomastown
Waterford, Ireland
“Wonderful afternoon tea”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Today we enjoyed afternoon tea in glorious sunshine on the lawn in Mount Juliet. The service was friedly, helpful and relaxed. The food was delicious - a savory plate of smoked salmon on soda bread, ham and mustard triangle, salad morsels, mini -bagel with tuna. The scones were deliciously crunchy with lemon curd, reaspberry jam and cream. The sweet section was slivers of chocolate cake, fruit cake, lemon cake, coffee eclair, cheesecake and an green almond (maybe pistachio) mousse. One piece of advice - don't eat lunch beforehand! Our tea and coffee pots were refilled.
Afternoon tea costs 17.50euros per person and was well worth it. The grounds were magnificent and a stroll around was essential after gorging on the delicious food. This was my first visit but I hope to return.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
MountJulietG M, General Manager at Mount Juliet Estate, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review. I appreciate your comments and I am delighted you enjoyed your afternoon tea on a beautiful sunny day at Mount Juliet. We look forward to welcoming you back soon again.

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Kildare, Ireland
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We have just returned from the most wonderful weekend in Mount Juliet. We hadn't been there before but had heard nothing but good reports - we were not let down. The service, food & laid back atmosphere were all perfect. Peaceful, elegant but not over the top. The estate is just stunning - we had great weather and were able to go for 2 long runs while we were there to take in the beauty of it.
We have stayed in some of Irelands nicest hotels and this is by far at the top of the list!
If you choose to have a break here you won't be disappointed.
Simply Wonderful.....

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 8 in the Manor House - it was a lovely large room with lots of light.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
MountJulietG M, General Manager at Mount Juliet Estate, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable time with us and thank you for your wonderful comments regarding our Estate. We hope you have the opportunity to visit us very soon.

London
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I have recently returned from a week staying in the clubhouse on the Mount Juliet Estate. I booked through In the Saddle for an equestian riding holiday for 5 nights with 3 hous riding each day.

I travelled alone in the end as my girlfriend wasn't able to join me and I didn't want to miss out, I've never travelled alone before for more than a night and this was the perfect place to have my first solo holiday, I can't wait to return.

I arrived on Sunday afternoon having driven myself from Dublin airport (very easy drive) and proceeded to the main house for check in, I was immediatley blown away by the views as I drove through the estate and the interior of the house was just beautiful it was the perfect mix of being grand and ornate but also comfortable and homely.

The ladies on reception were very friendly and helpful, giving me all the details I needed to set me up for an afternoon exploring. The lovely Jakob then helped me to my room by escorting me to the clubhouse and taking all my bags for me whilst giving me more ideas for my stay including recommending a tour with Des.

My room was a light and airy double, it was cleaned to a very high standard each day, as I was on the ground floor I enjoyed a terrace with table and chairs leading onto a lawn perfect to catch the afternoon sun. The bathroom was lovely, perfectly clean and very new and modern. Bed comfortable and very large with a TV in front of it with a good range of channels.

As my riding didn't start until the next day, I began by unpacking and then following one of the trail walks around the estate. There are a few walks to choose from of varying legnths so there's something for everyone. Being horse mad, I instantly chose the walk which took you through the paddocks and through the Ballylinch Stud, it was a lovely short walk and I was delighted to see all the mares and recent foals in the fields playing, if you stand long enough they'll come and say hi!

Each evening I ate in the Presidents bar, making the most of the sunshine I sat on the terrace and enjoyed the views, all the staff in there were extremely friendly and service was great. Trish especially was very helpful and friendly. The food was fabulous, not too fussy but superbly cooked, I cannot recommend the burger enough I had it two nights in a row!!!

My riding itinery each day was to have a trail ride for two hours at 10am and then a lesson in the afternoon from 2pm-3pm, the equestrian centre is a lovely 5 minute walk from the clubhouse, or you can take a bike from the main house. I was met by the lovely Tara at the stables who signed me in and off we went!

The rides around the estate are beautiful, if you are an experienced rider you will be able to experience some brilliant long, fast canters, try out the gallops and even pop the cross country fences if you wish. One particularly hot day after XC we took the horses into the river to cool off. All the horses here are loved and well looked after, they enjoy their jobs and are the perfect mix of being honest and steady horses whilst still having a bit of petrol in the tank for those wanting to kick on!

I loved my lessons each afternoon with Tara, I chose to have show jumping each day but had the option of flat lessons or more trail riding too. Tara set up a nice little course for me and each day added in an extra element such as bounces or raised the jumps so I felt I had progressed during the week. Everyone at the stables made me feel very welcome and I was very sad o ay good bye on the thursday afternoon. I rode the two Maggie's each day and wish there was room in my case to take them home!

On the Wednesday Tara organised for Des to pick me up after my riding has finished to take me on the tour of the estate and I'm very grateful she did! Des was so lovely and funny and what he doesn't know about the estate probably isn't worth knowing! We explored the house as I learned more about the history, then enjoyed a drive around the golf course and fishing lakes, followed by a trip to the hunt kennels to check out the hounds and finished at the Ballylinch Stud where I could look around the stables and learn more about the fantastic racehorses that had been bred there.

I also enjoyed the spa and leisure centre in my stay and everyone I came accross was very friendly and willing to help, it was the perfect break away from the hustle and bustle of London and I can't wait for my next opportunity to return.

Room Tip: I had a groundfloor clubhouse room, it was quiet, sunny and airy.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Rachael B
Dear Guest,

I am grateful for the time you have taken to complete such an amazing review of your recent stay. I am delighted you enjoyed the many amenities available on the Esate. I will be sure to pass your comments on to all staff and in particular to Trish and Tara. Thank you and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Estate on your next trip.

Wicklow, Ireland
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We're just back from a night away in Mount Juliet, and I plan on returning as quickly and frequently as possible. The hotel was beautiful, the grounds are breathtaking, and the service is impeccable.
Genuinely the staff could have been any friendlier / more professional.
The Lady Helen restaurant (Michelin Star) was magical, - and I have no problem suggesting it was the best meal of my life to date!

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your fantastic review following your stay at Mount Juliet. It gives me great pleasure to read your amazing comments and I am delighted you enjoyed your visit with us. I trust we will see you back again in the very near future.

kilkenny
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Not guests at hotel but live nearby. We spent a few lovely hours over afternoon tea today in Mount Juliet. It was peaceful and service was excellent without being intrusive. Lovely food and perfect for 2. Nice walk to walled garden after.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Guest,

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed afternoon tea with us recently and thank you for your comments. We look forward to seeing you here again very soon.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014

It is difficult to find fault with this marvellous hotel From the moment we arrived we were blown away by the wonderful service from staff. We were shown to a beautiful room overlooking the river and the endless green fields. Even our enormous bathroom overlooked the river. We sat outside the main house and had a glass of wine in the evening sunshine before we went to the Lady Helen restaurant for our 8 course tasting meal. All the staff were very knowledgeable about every aspect of the dinner and Maurice managed the room extremely well. My husband opted for the wine pairings which he found complemented the meal completely. We had a wonderful night sleep, not a sound to be heard except the singing birds in the morning. Once again we took breakfast in the lady Helen. I have eaten breakfast in this room before and I must admit that it is one of the best breakfasts you will get in ireland in my opinion. The only problem with coming to Mount Juliet is that you have to leave!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 19, The Carrick which looks out over the river and has a marvellous bathroom and w...
Dear Guest,

It is a pleasure to read the wonderful review of your recent visit and thank you for your fantastic comments. I appreciate your kind comments in relation to our staff. Thank you for your time and we look forward to seeing you back at Mount Juliet in the future.

White Stone, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Mt. Juliet House is ths combination of two estates, Ballylinch and Walton's Grove. The manor house was built in the late 1700's. It has been updated, modernized and expanded and gives guest a full plate of things to do; fishing, equestrian centre, golf, sporting clays and a leisure center with a large indoor pool. Three restaurant venues are offered' Kendall's dining room, Lady Helen's dining room and the President's club bar. The first two are a bit formal while the last is casual. The rooms are comfortable, clean and the service impecable. The vistas across the horse farms and gardens are beautiful and relaxing. A very nice stay and Kilkenny is a short distance away.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Peter C
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review of your recent stay which I am pleased to read you enjoyed. I hope you will have an opportunity to visit us soon again.

General Manager.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thomastown
Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa
Kilkenny River Court Hotel
Langton House Hotel
Langton House Hotel
#1 of 18 in Kilkenny

Been to Mount Juliet Estate? Share your experiences!