“Best and Worst of It”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Thomastown
Chanhassen, Minnesota
“Best and Worst of It”
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times. We've been in London for 7 days and Ireland for 6 days now. The best meal - Lady Helen's by far. The worst meal - Kendal's, where the rib eye steak, though cooked perfectly, was so tough and "gristly" as to be almost impossible to chew. The room (33 in the main building) was beautiful and nicely appointed. It was also hot, with no way to cool it other than opening windows without screens and inviting in various "critters." The ambiance in Kendal's was really very nice. In Lady Helen's, not so - just plain and relatively austere. A flower here or there would have helped immensely. The spa services were excellent. I wish I could say the same for the golf course, but it is long and otherwise relatively ordinary. The greens were blotchy, there has been no attempt to repair divots, the golfers don't make much effort to find and fix ball marks, other than a snack counter on the 10th tee, there are no services on the course (including no water available) and the signage to guide golfers from one green to the next tee are nonexistent. Though I'm glad I played it once, it's not a course I would return to. In all, we enjoyed our two nights at Mount Juliet but can't truly rate it better than "good."

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Sid R
MountJulietG M, General Manager at Mount Juliet Estate, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review of your recent stay. Thank you for your kind comments in relation to some aspects of your stay. However, I regret that your expectations were not met in all areas. I am pleased to note that you both enjoyed your overall visit to the Estate and hope that you may consider returning to Mount Juliet again in the future.

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stayed 2 nights at Mt. Juliet. Room 20 was at the top of the stairs. You felt as though you were a family guest in the manor. We had a wonderful view of the river, and the horse pasture. The golf course is a Nicklas design, and in excellent conditions. The staff at the pro shop was very helpful and arranged for rental clubs and cart. If you want to stay in an authentic manor house with magnificent grounds, then Mt. Juliet is the place.

Room Tip: Room 20 was very large, and had excellent view of river and horse pasture.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review of your recent visit and also for your great comments. I will be sure to pass on your remarks to the golf shop staff. We hope to see you back again in the very near future. Thank you again for your time.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I cannot express how truly wonderful this place is. The surrounding scenery as you arrive in is breath taking. The accommodation is impressive and the food delicious. But what really made our weekend was the staff. They were unbelievably helpful and so friendly. I heard many commenting on it. One member of staff did share that he felt lucky to work in a place such as this and really enjoyed the energy about the place. I know that there are some changes afoot and I sincerely hope that this does not negatively impact this establishment. It's a wonderful retreat..so much so, that on checking out we re booked a break in 4 months time.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind words following your recent visit to Mount Juliet. I am delighted you had such and enjoyable time. Thank you for your comments in relation to our staff which I will pass on to them. We look forward to offering you an equally enjoyable visit in the coming months.

Kilkenny
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We had brunch here a couple of weeks ago and were unfortunate enough to arrive at the same time as a golf society outing. As a result of the staff being so busy we were ignored and waited almost an hour for service. There were three of us and we were chatting so it wasn't such an awful experience, however we were getting a little peeved by the time we were served. The waiter drew the manager's attention to our experience and before we had time to complain about the delay the manager apologised and told us that we would not be charged for our food. This I think is top class customer relationship management. Anyone can get things wrong and we were walk ins. It is impressive when an establishment responds so quickly to the needs of customers. I compare this to an experience in a Dublin hotel where I complained about raw chicken and was argued with. Both ends of the spectrum!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to us. I regret the delay in service you experienced however, I am happy that the small gesture offered by the manager on duty reduced the disappointment you had initially experienced. Thank you again for your time and we look forward to seeing you back again when I trust your next experience will be a more memorable one.

Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Today we enjoyed afternoon tea in glorious sunshine on the lawn in Mount Juliet. The service was friedly, helpful and relaxed. The food was delicious - a savory plate of smoked salmon on soda bread, ham and mustard triangle, salad morsels, mini -bagel with tuna. The scones were deliciously crunchy with lemon curd, reaspberry jam and cream. The sweet section was slivers of chocolate cake, fruit cake, lemon cake, coffee eclair, cheesecake and an green almond (maybe pistachio) mousse. One piece of advice - don't eat lunch beforehand! Our tea and coffee pots were refilled.
Afternoon tea costs 17.50euros per person and was well worth it. The grounds were magnificent and a stroll around was essential after gorging on the delicious food. This was my first visit but I hope to return.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
MountJulietG M, General Manager at Mount Juliet Estate, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review. I appreciate your comments and I am delighted you enjoyed your afternoon tea on a beautiful sunny day at Mount Juliet. We look forward to welcoming you back soon again.

Kildare, Ireland
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We have just returned from the most wonderful weekend in Mount Juliet. We hadn't been there before but had heard nothing but good reports - we were not let down. The service, food & laid back atmosphere were all perfect. Peaceful, elegant but not over the top. The estate is just stunning - we had great weather and were able to go for 2 long runs while we were there to take in the beauty of it.
We have stayed in some of Irelands nicest hotels and this is by far at the top of the list!
If you choose to have a break here you won't be disappointed.
Simply Wonderful.....

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 8 in the Manor House - it was a lovely large room with lots of light.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
MountJulietG M, General Manager at Mount Juliet Estate, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable time with us and thank you for your wonderful comments regarding our Estate. We hope you have the opportunity to visit us very soon.

London
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I have recently returned from a week staying in the clubhouse on the Mount Juliet Estate. I booked through In the Saddle for an equestian riding holiday for 5 nights with 3 hous riding each day.

I travelled alone in the end as my girlfriend wasn't able to join me and I didn't want to miss out, I've never travelled alone before for more than a night and this was the perfect place to have my first solo holiday, I can't wait to return.

I arrived on Sunday afternoon having driven myself from Dublin airport (very easy drive) and proceeded to the main house for check in, I was immediatley blown away by the views as I drove through the estate and the interior of the house was just beautiful it was the perfect mix of being grand and ornate but also comfortable and homely.

The ladies on reception were very friendly and helpful, giving me all the details I needed to set me up for an afternoon exploring. The lovely Jakob then helped me to my room by escorting me to the clubhouse and taking all my bags for me whilst giving me more ideas for my stay including recommending a tour with Des.

My room was a light and airy double, it was cleaned to a very high standard each day, as I was on the ground floor I enjoyed a terrace with table and chairs leading onto a lawn perfect to catch the afternoon sun. The bathroom was lovely, perfectly clean and very new and modern. Bed comfortable and very large with a TV in front of it with a good range of channels.

As my riding didn't start until the next day, I began by unpacking and then following one of the trail walks around the estate. There are a few walks to choose from of varying legnths so there's something for everyone. Being horse mad, I instantly chose the walk which took you through the paddocks and through the Ballylinch Stud, it was a lovely short walk and I was delighted to see all the mares and recent foals in the fields playing, if you stand long enough they'll come and say hi!

Each evening I ate in the Presidents bar, making the most of the sunshine I sat on the terrace and enjoyed the views, all the staff in there were extremely friendly and service was great. Trish especially was very helpful and friendly. The food was fabulous, not too fussy but superbly cooked, I cannot recommend the burger enough I had it two nights in a row!!!

My riding itinery each day was to have a trail ride for two hours at 10am and then a lesson in the afternoon from 2pm-3pm, the equestrian centre is a lovely 5 minute walk from the clubhouse, or you can take a bike from the main house. I was met by the lovely Tara at the stables who signed me in and off we went!

The rides around the estate are beautiful, if you are an experienced rider you will be able to experience some brilliant long, fast canters, try out the gallops and even pop the cross country fences if you wish. One particularly hot day after XC we took the horses into the river to cool off. All the horses here are loved and well looked after, they enjoy their jobs and are the perfect mix of being honest and steady horses whilst still having a bit of petrol in the tank for those wanting to kick on!

I loved my lessons each afternoon with Tara, I chose to have show jumping each day but had the option of flat lessons or more trail riding too. Tara set up a nice little course for me and each day added in an extra element such as bounces or raised the jumps so I felt I had progressed during the week. Everyone at the stables made me feel very welcome and I was very sad o ay good bye on the thursday afternoon. I rode the two Maggie's each day and wish there was room in my case to take them home!

On the Wednesday Tara organised for Des to pick me up after my riding has finished to take me on the tour of the estate and I'm very grateful she did! Des was so lovely and funny and what he doesn't know about the estate probably isn't worth knowing! We explored the house as I learned more about the history, then enjoyed a drive around the golf course and fishing lakes, followed by a trip to the hunt kennels to check out the hounds and finished at the Ballylinch Stud where I could look around the stables and learn more about the fantastic racehorses that had been bred there.

I also enjoyed the spa and leisure centre in my stay and everyone I came accross was very friendly and willing to help, it was the perfect break away from the hustle and bustle of London and I can't wait for my next opportunity to return.

Room Tip: I had a groundfloor clubhouse room, it was quiet, sunny and airy.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Rachael B
Dear Guest,

I am grateful for the time you have taken to complete such an amazing review of your recent stay. I am delighted you enjoyed the many amenities available on the Esate. I will be sure to pass your comments on to all staff and in particular to Trish and Tara. Thank you and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Estate on your next trip.

General Manager.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thomastown
Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa
Kilkenny River Court Hotel
Langton House Hotel
Langton House Hotel
#1 of 18 in Kilkenny

Been to Mount Juliet Estate? Share your experiences!