“Lovely Irish Manor”

Mount Juliet Estate
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Thomastown
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This manor house was the classic example of what I think of as a true country manor house. The grounds are beautiful with a walled garden & trails. There are many activities to do there. I went to the spa & it was very good. My husband did the skeet shooting & felt the person running it was excellent. There is a golf course & a few different restaurants & bars.

Room Tip: Our room was on 2nd floor facing the front of the hotel with a wonderful view of the landscaping. Th...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
MountJulietG M, General Manager at Mount Juliet Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay. Your kind comments are appreciated and we hope you will be back to visit us again very soon.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I have read and spoken to many people that have stayed at Mount Juliet over the years and with this in mind we headed for a 2 night B&B and 1 dinner stay in Kilkenny.
The golf was super and the reception by the staff as you would expect at a 5 star resort - A warm Irish welcome.
The Manor House is lovely and the food in the 1 star Michelin restaurant superb.
The hotel and in particular the Club House where we stayed needs some serious TLC. It feels and looks worn out. The carpets in the Club House (Presidents Bar) has a sour smell and needs sorting.
Maybe the new owners will give it a good overhaul and bring it back because in its current state it is not 5 star.

Room Tip: Stay in the Manor House
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CyclingViking

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of your stay and your kind comments. I do however take on board your comments in relation to some matters you have mentioned and will follow these up with the relevant managers. I hope you will consider returning to Mount Juliet in the future.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Having just returned from my son's wedding at Mount Juliet, I cannot speak highly enough of this amazing place. The grounds are stunning with a river running through. One could spend many hours exploring. The House has beautiful rooms and suites with views over the grounds bringing such an air of peace and splendour. The service was top class and the most accommodating. Staff always on hand to cater for requirements. Food was A1. A magnificent golf course, a beautiful spa and leisure centre. Club house with excellent food. This was an utterly magic place for the wedding with everything running perfectly. Cannot recommend it highly enough.

Room Tip: View of the river
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
MountJulietG M, General Manager at Mount Juliet Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review following your son’s wedding at Mount Juliet. I am thrilled that you had a wonderful weekend with us and thank you for your fantastic feedback. It was a pleasure to look after you and your guests, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon again.

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here recently on a two night break which I had booked as a surprise for my boyfriends 40th birthday.
Overall we had a fantastic stay.The mount juliet estate is beautiful, steeped in history and surrounded by rolling breath taking grounds.
We stayed in the beautiful manor house which overlooked the river...magical views!!
The rooms are tastefully decorated with nice little thoughtful touches here and there.
We ate in both kendells and the wonderful Lady Helen restaurant which is more than worthy of its michelin star.The food,staff and service was excellent.All of the staff we encountered during our stay in Mount juliet were warm,attentive and friendly without being in anyway obtrusive.
We used the spa and leisure centre which we enjoyed immensely. If we had one tiny critism it would be
that the leisure and spa areas are a little on the small side and would benefit from being extended and perhaps a thermal suite added.Maybe the new owners will consider adding this.
This review wouldnt be complete without mentioning
the lovely Des who provided us with transport, tales of history and lots of laughter.He is a wonderful asset to the Mount juliet.
Overall we had a really enjoyable stay and would most definitely return
Many thanks to all at Mount juliet for a very enjoyable break.

• Stayed: July 2014
MountJulietG M, General Manager at Mount Juliet Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful comments following your stay. I am delighted you and your boyfriend enjoyed his birthday celebrations with us and that you also enjoyed many of the amenities here. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to Des who is indeed a great asset. Thank you again and I hope you will both visit in the near future.

Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times. We've been in London for 7 days and Ireland for 6 days now. The best meal - Lady Helen's by far. The worst meal - Kendal's, where the rib eye steak, though cooked perfectly, was so tough and "gristly" as to be almost impossible to chew. The room (33 in the main building) was beautiful and nicely appointed. It was also hot, with no way to cool it other than opening windows without screens and inviting in various "critters." The ambiance in Kendal's was really very nice. In Lady Helen's, not so - just plain and relatively austere. A flower here or there would have helped immensely. The spa services were excellent. I wish I could say the same for the golf course, but it is long and otherwise relatively ordinary. The greens were blotchy, there has been no attempt to repair divots, the golfers don't make much effort to find and fix ball marks, other than a snack counter on the 10th tee, there are no services on the course (including no water available) and the signage to guide golfers from one green to the next tee are nonexistent. Though I'm glad I played it once, it's not a course I would return to. In all, we enjoyed our two nights at Mount Juliet but can't truly rate it better than "good."

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Sid R
MountJulietG M, General Manager at Mount Juliet Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review of your recent stay. Thank you for your kind comments in relation to some aspects of your stay. However, I regret that your expectations were not met in all areas. I am pleased to note that you both enjoyed your overall visit to the Estate and hope that you may consider returning to Mount Juliet again in the future.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stayed 2 nights at Mt. Juliet. Room 20 was at the top of the stairs. You felt as though you were a family guest in the manor. We had a wonderful view of the river, and the horse pasture. The golf course is a Nicklas design, and in excellent conditions. The staff at the pro shop was very helpful and arranged for rental clubs and cart. If you want to stay in an authentic manor house with magnificent grounds, then Mt. Juliet is the place.

Room Tip: Room 20 was very large, and had excellent view of river and horse pasture.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review of your recent visit and also for your great comments. I will be sure to pass on your remarks to the golf shop staff. We hope to see you back again in the very near future. Thank you again for your time.

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I cannot express how truly wonderful this place is. The surrounding scenery as you arrive in is breath taking. The accommodation is impressive and the food delicious. But what really made our weekend was the staff. They were unbelievably helpful and so friendly. I heard many commenting on it. One member of staff did share that he felt lucky to work in a place such as this and really enjoyed the energy about the place. I know that there are some changes afoot and I sincerely hope that this does not negatively impact this establishment. It's a wonderful retreat..so much so, that on checking out we re booked a break in 4 months time.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind words following your recent visit to Mount Juliet. I am delighted you had such and enjoyable time. Thank you for your comments in relation to our staff which I will pass on to them. We look forward to offering you an equally enjoyable visit in the coming months.

General Manager.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Thomastown
Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa
#5 of 19 in Kilkenny
Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel
Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel
#10 of 19 in Kilkenny

Been to Mount Juliet Estate? Share your experiences!