“Family home”

and 1 more site!
Moonarch Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 3 Callan B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed in moonarch after driving down from Dublin. We knew that it was on a rural location and it was exactly as expected. Our room had a nice double bed and a single bed. We were both do excited to have a top sheet on our beds after our recent travels in England and Scotland. Margaret is a lovey host and she cooks a very nice breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank nerrels

Reviewed 22 August 2012

This B and B is a bit off the beaten track, and we wish we had stayed closer to Kilkenny. The hostess was lovely, though a bit distracted as she was serving high tea to the local arts council planning committee. She certainly didn't ignore us in any way, though I got the feeling she was a bit stressed.

The room had all the basics, though her admonition to not place a suitcase on the bed without spreading out an extra sheet seemed a bit strange (given that there was only one stand in the room.) The room was of average size.

Breakfast was good, but basically average comparted to the other places we stayed later in our trip.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ScottyP1952
Reviewed 19 July 2010

Margaret is an excellent host! Her B&B is very comfortable, her breakfast is amazing and she never hesitates to give great advice on where to go and what to see while in Ireland! I definitely recommend staying here!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2010

We were extremely pleased with our accommodations in the Kilkenny area. What made them so special was our host, Margaret Treacy. She welcomed us into her home and made us feel like family. We were given tea on our arrival at around 6:00 pm in the evening. Then we were directed to our supper destination and upon arrival back home we enjoyed some Irish coffee which completed our day. At breakfast the next morning we had several wonderful options. The food was presented so well that we had to take pictures. We had fresh homemade breads and scones each morning and Margaret sent us on our way with a snack of the fresh made breads and scones. That was wonderful. As the tour guide for our party of four, she helped me immensely with directions giving me maps and making suggestions which added to what we had already planned. It was great to have such wonderful assistance. We would highly recommend this bed and breakfast if traveling around the South East area of Ireland.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank Sheila5316
Reviewed 16 March 2010

Oh what fond memories do we have of the South East, all thanks to Margaret Treacy! The accomodation is very welcoming and comfortable, the breakfasts are impeccable, and the assistance provided by Margaret is unbelievable! She has incredible knowledge particularly of the South East - I had plans of my own and we decided to scrap them and follow entirely her suggestions. Even her recommendation of restaurants in both Callan and Kilkenny (10 mins drive and 25 mins drive respectively) was top notch. If we'll ever be again around the South East, I have no hesitation in knocking on Margaret's door :-)

• Stayed: March 2010
1  Thank Alan1969
Reviewed 14 January 2010

My partner and I stayed at the Moonarch B&B in July 2009. It was the first B&B we stayed at during our 10 day trip to Ireland and it was my favourite of the trip! Margaret's home is very welcoming, clean, and is surrounded by nice gardens. The breakfast was also wonderful - there were all kinds of options, and they were all delicious! Most importantly, Margaret helped us to plan a day driving and sightseeing around the area (we saw places we never would have found on our own) and even lent us her own road atlas to take with us. Margaret also helped us to plan the next leg of our trip and the best route to take. Margaret's advice helped us tremendously and made our trip more enjoyable. We also took a walk down a road near the B&B and met a nice neighbour who showed us his thatched cottage. I would highly recommend this B&B!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank traveljournaler_10
Reviewed 9 July 2009

I had a private business around Callan for a few days and I found on web an accommodation in the Moonarch B&B. Margaret picked me up by arrival of the evening´s bus in Callan, I did not rent a car. It was very nice after a day journey to Callan from my home country.
The room was clean with own bathroom and the mattress enough long. I am tall 191 cm and I have sometimes in other accommodation problem, the mattresses are too short. The house is located between a garden and a small forest. There is a local car road passing by the house, I had a window to the opposite side of the road, to the garden, totally silent. There was a tea set with kettle in the room for personal usage. The house has a lounge and an eating room for guests also.
The breakfast was very rich, warm items included. It was possible to choose between more options the evening before. Margaret cooked additionally cakes also. Margaret has shown me lot of trips ideas in Kilkenny County and nearby. She knew also the timetables of buses from Callan and brought me by her car to Callan, if it was possible. There was a TV to see weather forecast also.
I was very satisfied both with the warm over-standard service provided by Mrs. Margaret Treacy and the house itself.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank wicahpi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Callan
The Johnstown Estate Hotel
The K Club
The K Club
#1 of 2 in Straffan
Boyne View Bed & Breakfast

Been to Moonarch Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!