“Great food and friendly staff”

Lough Rea Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Loughrea
McLouth, Kansas
“Great food and friendly staff”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Location little out of way. Staff were all very friendly. Got a great one night break with dinner very reasonable so wasn't expectin too much. The food in restaurant was fantastic quality and beautiful presentation. Rooms could do with some tlc felt a little run down.

• Stayed November 2013
Niall D, General Manager at Lough Rea Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Dear Soplaur,

Thank you for your review of the hotel, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay, and dinner in the restaurant. All of our rooms are of a very high standard, however I will check the room you stayed in to ensure that any improvements that are needed are addressed immediately.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Niall Dalton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel, bar staff while friendly are pretty hit and miss in the service department.

Did not eat here in the evening. Being able to see the food and the containers it comes from while sitting at the bar makes it all a little unappetising. It might be an idea to conceal the bottom part of the carvery unit and put the plastic tubs out of sight while serving á la carte.
Breakfast is very good and plenty of food available.

Spa has a lovely thermal suite and the staff there are very welcoming. It seems to be a busy spot, so book in advance as we were unable to have the treatments we wanted as they were booked up.

Overall, this is a nice hotel and really good value. At the same time, not sure I'll visit again.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Niall D, General Manager at Lough Rea Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear Daisycheer,

Thank you for your review of the hotel and for your feedback I am glad you enjoyed your breakfast, and I can assure you that our dinner menu food is of the highest quality and we have received many positive comments about the food. We use only the freshest of local ingredients and the open kitchen allows guests see the food being cooked fresh to order.
It is a shame you did not get to have dinner. I note your comment on the bar service and I will ensure that this is addressed.
I hope that you consider the hotel again while visiting the area and I would be delighted to welcome you back to the hotel.

Dublin
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Stayed in a family room . Very clean and comfortable. Food in hotel was high quality and good variety on menu, not expensive. Catered well for kids meals . Staff in bar very friendly, pleasant and helpful. My girls took part in Halloween camp. The girls running the camp were brilliant with children, and my girls loved them.
Before booking , I was assured over the phone that my children could take part in the camp.On arrival, the very unhelpful receptionist, who took a phone call in the middle of our checking in, informed me that the halloween camp was for children aged 5-11. My children are 2 and 4. I explained I was told they were ok to take part before I booked, She said to leave it with her and she would find out and let me know. I went back to reception an hour later and she asked how she could help. I said I was looking to find out about the halloween camp , and she said "yes what about it ?" I was eventually informed that it would be ok for them to take part. Except when I brought them up , the girl running the camp said " It was against hotel policy to have children under the age of 5." Had to speak to manager on duty who said it would be ok for them to take part. Also, the playtown was closed, which we found out when we brought the kids over.. . Found a local playground where I found out from parents there is a simular child activity centre in the units next door to the hotel. I explained to the manager that I would have appreciated if someone could have let us know this information in the hotel when we arrived.
Would recommend hotel for couples rather than children. If they had not been allowed into camp, There would have been nothing in hotel for them to do.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Niall D, General Manager at Lough Rea Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Dear m m,

Thank you for your review on the hotel. I note from your review that you were very happy with the food, service and cleanliness of the hotel.
However I would like to apologise for the poor experience and the unacceptable way you were treated at reception. I am currently investigating this matter. as this is completely against our customer care policy and the high standards of service that we offer to our guests.
I am glad that your kids got to join in the kids camp and that they were looked after by Kathleen our kids club manager.
I will ensure that this incident at reception never happens again and I thank you for your feedback.
If you are visiting the area in the future, I would be delighted if you could contact me and I will ensure that you experience the true hospitality warm welcome from all our team here at the hotel.
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We stayed here for our anniversary weekend, two nights bed & breakfast. Our room was lovely & the breakfast each morning was super tasty & plentiful. The hotel stay was definitely very good value for money. Only issue we did have was a very slow bar service each time we ordered. Wouldn't stop us recommending the hotel to others though.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CaroBul
Dear Caro bul,

Thank you for your review of the hotel, I am glad you enjoyed your anniversary weekend at the hotel and that you enjoyed the food and the hotel services.
I will look into the issue of the slow bar service, to ensure it does not happen again.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future
County Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Went to the lough Rea Hotel Spa for one of there monthly offers. There offers are great value and different ones each month. The Spa is beautiful and the best I have been in. Its located on two floors. The treatment rooms are on the first floor as you enter you are greeted by a lovely receptionist. The treatment rooms are fab. Lovely big treatment bed loads of space. relaxing musice and a great massage and facial done by louise. The best I ever had. The place is spotless. Went up to the thermal suit which is located on the second floor. It has a light and dark room. In the light room there is fab big seats to relax on and can be manovered to suit what position you would like to be in. There is an amazing views looking on to the lake in loughrea. the Dark room has carpet on the floor that you just sink into and the same comefortable couches with sented candles. There is a jacuzzai, herbal sauna,scented steam room,sanarium experience showers and an ice fountain. You get to use this area for an hour with your treatmets. Overall it was a great relaxing few hours and would and will definatly be returning. It uses the Yon Ka Paris products.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Catwalk100
Dear Catwalk 10,

Thank you for your review of the hotel. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and were particularly impressed with the Shore island Spa, and in particular Louise.
This is a hidden gem and all the staff are professionally trained and customer focused to make your visit a memorable one. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

galway
Reviewed 25 October 2013

stayed here last weekend as part of a group. very busy there as country music festival being held there. Hotel coped very well with crowds , breakfast and dinner were very nice, staff very helpful.
everyone enjoyed the stay. Although we felt the function room was not big enough for the event!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Niall D, General Manager at Lough Rea Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Dear AnnmarieG6,

Thank you for your kind review. It is great to hear you enjoyed your weekend stay at the hotel, and that you enjoyed the food and the facilities.
There was a huge crowd for the Country Fest and it was a huge success, however I will pass on your comments to the promoter.

Dublin
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I stayed recently with my boyfriend for my 30th birthday as a spa break. We were planning on visiting anyways as I work in a hotel and had researched hotels and the Loughrea hotel offered great value. We seen the living social offer and went with that which was incredible value. On arrival the cocktails served were proper cocktails, not watered down versions which is the norm on these deals. Our room was gorgeous, spotlessly clean and modernly decorated. I loved the view from our room out onto the lake. The wifi worked great in the rooms and there was everything you need in the rooms for a comfortable stay.

The spa is amazing. The little details make a huge difference. Up to date magazines, being explained how things work if you're new to spas which we were. The rasul treatment was included and we did this and had an hour in the spotlessly clean thermal area. The view from the relaxation area is fabulous and so relaxing. My boyfriend had a full body massage and I had a facial. Both great value and our therapists were so professional and really knew what they were doing. He said compared to other massages he felt Jean was the most trained therapist he had come across. I had Louise for my facial who was incredible friendly and helpful and I really appreciated this. I would be back for the spa alone, we both loved it.

We had afternoon after this and the chef had no problem doing up vegetarian food which was welcome as it's sometimes a chore. We ate in the restaurant that night and the food was lovely. Having a item other than pasta on the menu for vegetarians instantly made it a nicer meal for me. We were served by Declan Carr a few times over a trip and he is an asset to the hotel, incredibly helpful and friendly.

We will be back to visit for sure. I cannot say enough good things about the hotel. Plenty of staff made a difference to quality and the atmosphere and location is perfect. Thank you very much.

Room Tip: Book the spa, you won't regret it. They have great offers and the relaxation area alone is wort...