“Lovely hotel worth 4 * but VERY disappointed with service and staff”

Lough Rea Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Loughrea
Reviewed 6 October 2009

The Loughrea spa hotel is a very nice hotel worth the 4 stars, the bedrooms are gorgeous, beds are very comfortable. Disappointment lay with the air conditioning pipes and vents directly outside our bedroom, noisy and not very nice to look at!
However, the restaurant is an absolute disaster for service. The waitress on the first night was very competent and friendly and food was lovely. But the second night, we had to wait for 20 mins for the starter, then the mains came about 20 mins after we finished that, they then completely forgot about us, did not clear the tables, did not offer coffee or deserts. We gave up and asked for the bill which did not appear. When we went to pay at the till the waitress gave us the amount verbally, we asked for a receipt which was thrown at us. While this was going on a child came and asked for a serviette and the waitress snapped at her... not acceptable.
Breakfast was nice only that we had to wait 20 mins for sausages the first morning and the second morning, toast didn't appear until I finished my breakfast.
Staff I found were abrupt and unfriendly all to 1 very nice waitress on the first night who did her job very well.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 29 September 2009

Lough Rea is a nice hotel on the suface but I was not happy after spending a night here. Outside my window was several A/C outlet units that were loud and went on for most of the night. When I rang to complain about it - I was simply she had no idea what I was talking about, no apology, no offer to move. The Units were huge and there were pipes everywhere!!

The restaurant was AWFUL and several of my friends returned their food and refused for it to be replaced. I on the other hand, sent my steak back (I asked for rare and got burnt), They served several large(20+) tables before they brought out my steak 40 mins later. When I tasted it, it had a funny flavor and was burnt on one side. My friend who is a chef was under the opinion that they had 'flame' cooked it over the gas cooker - it was disgusting and 26 EURO. Other friends ate in the bar and said in was fine.

The room was nice and the bed comfortable but while searching for a pen, I saw the drawers were filthy and one had ends of cigarettes.

I was hosting my wedding nearby and had 30 guests staying in the hotel. I was embarrassed by the service and was extremely glad I was not holding my wedding on site!

The hotel also does not have a pool and the Spa is 15 euro for hotel residents. It is a nice spa though.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank irishhappytraveller
Reviewed 17 August 2009

Stayed here for a wedding with my wife in August and was assigned room 111 which is a wheelchair accessible room. the first thing we notices was there is no bath and a tiny sink in the accessible bathroom. No room to put any toileteries (even the hotel water glasses were on top of the cistern!) then we noticed there was no toilet paper and had to ring reception twice before some was brought to the room.

Overall its definately not a 4* hotel and like many of the hotels built during the Irish property boom it probably will not age well.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2009

Just returned from a long weekend wedding trip and stayed at the Lough Rea. A typical boutique hotel with seemingly everything served on a bed of mash. Not a single comfortable chair anywhere in the hotel, no lounge just a restaurant to the left and bar/ coffee shop to the right.
However, the bedrooms had very comfy beds with exceptionally poor lighting (boutique style) and a LCD TV requiring binoculars to view comfortably from the bed. The shower water temperature varied from stone cold to warm and the low pressure meant you had to run around in the shower to get wet. We stayed on the 3rd of 4 floors.
In all, an impressive looking hotel on the approach but didn't stand up to any real scrutiny.

Once last thing if you fly into Shannon and hire a car from Avis check the vehicle very very carefully. Upon our return the inspector walked quickly around the car and stopped immediately at the nearside wheel and announced (without looking down) we'd split the wall of the tyre.
Even with us all on our hands and knees the guy had to lift the torn rubber to identify the split and he "found" it without even bending down. Now I'm not saying it wasa scam.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2009

Unfortunately was very dissapointing. Pubes in the bathtub, music thumping till 2 a.m, still charged and no apology. All round, the 4 stars is a big stretch....3 maximum! Not good value for money. New hotel but failing fast. The only pro was the very comfortable bed(2 singles pushed together) but that was it. The G Hotel in Galway by far superior and better value. B&B in the G Hotel only €130.00, only 20 kms outside of Loughrea...worth the travel. Pity!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank corkdismayed
Reviewed 21 July 2009

I stayed here on a saturday for a nearby wedding. Its obviously very new. Room was great....decent room, new bathroom, plasma tv...comfy soft carpet.....and an amazingly comfy bed!!! They said the rates were 150 per room when I rang, but only got charged 99 on check out.

breakfast was a decent buffet. help yourself to whatever u want...irish brekkie, cereal, yoghurts etc....all very nice..

theres not much choice in loughrea....but id recommend this hotel!! ticks all the boxes!!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2009

This hotel is the best thing that could have happened to Loughrea. It is badly needed so when it opened I was delighted to see its standards in food, cleanliness and appearance across the board were high.
Originally from Co Galway I really looked forward to my initial stay at the hotel at Christams and I wasn't let down - it was super all round.
However, having returned last month for a wedding I was really disappointed how the standards have slipped in only a few months.
Firstly on arrival - we went to the bar for a drink. I was handed a lip stick stained glass, then a hot unshined glass. The bar men - though very friendly, did not look at all presentable. Their shirts and trousers were unironed. Hotel mangement should ensure these minor details are maintained to acceptabel 4 * standards if they wish to maintain the 4 stars. The same goes for the chef in the carvery. His white uniform was creased and tatty looking and certainly would not invite one to eat there. Surely managment in a 4 star hotel should ensure the laundry and uniforms of staff are looked
The food over the weekend was just ok - the produce certainly did not taste as fresh as the previous visit. Veg and salad was very dry. The overall look of the hotel seemed to have gone down hill - the bathrooms could have been cleaner - door knobs and wash hand basins were not polished and the soap dispensers were grotty.
I really hope that this last weekend I stayed was a blip and standards will be improved again. When I am down west again, I will ensure to call in so fingers crossed.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Loughrea
Meadow Court Hotel
#2 of 46 in Galway
Oranmore Lodge Hotel
Oranmore Lodge Hotel
#2 of 5 in Oranmore

Been to Lough Rea Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!