“Fantastic riding vacation”

Slieve Aughty Riding Centre
Ranked #2 of 15 things to do in Loughrea
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Slieve Aughty Riding Centre in the west of Ireland offers horse riding and donkey walking, kids birthday parties, and pony rides for seasonal festivals or for the fun! The centre's 25 horses and ponies are suitable for everything from the nervous beginner to the advanced rider. Facilities include a 30x50 all weather outdoor arena, cross country course, and miles of trails for scenic treks. Beside the riding centre is The Three Towers Eco House and Organic Kitchen, where you can grab a bite to eat after your ride or stay the night as part of a package riding holiday. Ponies carry children to the Enchanted Forest and back, and riding can be booked by the hour or by the day.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Baby buggy parking, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This was my first trip to Ireland and being a horse enthusiast I really wanted to see the beautiful Irish countryside on horseback. I wanted to see something off the beaten path---"real" Ireland. I don't think we could have made a better choice. The horses here were well cared for, well trained, and the horses were fitted to our riding ability. This was not a boring nose to tail trail facility. Our group consisted of experienced riders and the trails were quite challenging. My horse (a Friesian) was awesome to ride. The entire experience, from riding to our stay at The Three Towers to the food was stellar. I would highly recommend to anyone who appreciates a slower pace, nature, real people and is not impressed with pretention. I would love to go back!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I am lucky enough to live close enough to Slieve Aughty to be able to visit it fairly regularly. The woodland setting is beautiful equally for walks or horse-riding, and the cross-country course has something for all levels and abilities. I usually bring my own horse but I have had friends come along and hire one of Esthers and they are always very well behaved. Of course, you will be hungry after all that activity so a trip to the restaurant always a must to sample the lovely organic food on offer. If you are lucky you may be able to sample some of Esthers pancakes :-)

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I've spent a week doing the intense cross country training at the Slieve Aughty Riding centre. The horses were well trained and very professionally kept and trained. The instructors were very professional and the approach very individualistic. Any special requests from my side were taken into account. I've learn so much during that week and it was an outstanding experience to do cross country jumping under such professional and friendly supervision and in such an amazing environment.
The accomodation at the Three Towers was outstanding as well. The rooms are beautiful and the food outstanding. The very familiar atmosphere gives the place a special charm. The food is prepared with love and comes mostly from the own garden.
All in all this was one of the best facilities I've ever visited and I can recommend it to anyone! It is great for families as well as couples or singles. I'm definitely planning some more holidays there in the future!

Reviewed 2 August 2014

I have stayed here twice with my son, this isn't just the best in Loughrea or Galway, I would say the best in Ireland. The rooms are really comfortable and decorated if that's the right word, from nature herself. Every piece is beautiful, even the lamp shades. Power shower is great, in fact quite amazing. The food is delicious, home cooked really, as if your mother was doing it, I have the impression that all the food is organic, perhaps even grown in the gardens there, but being a bloke I don't really know for sure, I do know I look forward to meal times! There's probably other places to eat nearby but I never had the desire to go look. Best of all is the people working there. I think they're mostly from one family, but even those who aren't appear to be a member of the same family. There's always tea and coffee around, always a smile when they see you, always helpful and remarkably modest, no arrogance, good service, I can honestly not say enough about how brilliant this place is. In the last few years I have taken my son to Thailand and Dubai, yet the holidays he raves about the most is the time and activities we had here. Truly inspirational and something other businesses and attractions in Ireland should take more than one lesson from.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

I have been to the Slieve Aughty Riding Centre numerous times, usually with friends or family. It's such a beautiful place! The setting is fabulous, and we really enjoy hacking in the woods and making use of the extensive X-country course. The restaurant serves delicious, healthy food, and the staff are very friendly and always there to help. I like the whole ethos around the centre, with the organic gardens and "happy horsemanship", promoting bitless riding and offering workshops on different aspects of training and horse care. I love going back whenever I can!