“Lovely hotel”
Review of Lady Gregory Hotel

Lady Gregory Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Gort
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Lovely hotel and great place to stay while touring the west of Ireland.
Lovely staff, great big rooms, good breakfast and a small but nice leisure center. Got a good rate on the internet and used it as our base for three nights

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank New C

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed for three nights, so had time to dwell on the good, the bad and the ugly in this hotel. Here are the positives:

Beautiful public rooms - the wood and stained glass are really lovely
Excellent food in the bar
Friendly staff throughout
Excellent breakfast, although my husband was disappointed that there were no kippers!
Lovely swimming pool/leisure centre on site

And the negatives:

The furnishings in the room seriously need updating - the furniture was old-fashioned, worn and battered. TV was of the old style too - time to update to a flat screen.
Small, uncomfortable double bed with scratchy blanket - again, time to upgrade to duvets.
Shower in the bathroom was awkward to get in and out of and was stuck on one temperature, which was just bearable, but was almost too hot.
Worst housekeeping I've experienced for a long time - the bathroom wasn't cleaned properly and the cups were just left unwashed for three days.
Pool is too cold and not everything worked in the leisure centre - lockers were broken, one of the steam rooms wasn't working etc.
The bedroom was too hot and the windows barely opened so it was impossible to cool the room down.

There's generally a feeling of neglect in this hotel, which is a shame as it could be really good with some refurbishment and some tlc. I wouldn't stay here again, unless it was brought up to date.

3  Thank LJaneUK
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We only stayed here for one night unfortunately, for what I thought would be an average, mediocre stay...........let me just say ...........I was WRONG. This hotel is a real find because of the attention to detail by all of the staff. Everyone was so friendly, the place was spotless, the decor in the bar and dining room really lovely. Only had a sandwich and breakfast but was really lovely. The owners and staff at this hotel obviously care very much about their customers and I overheard a lot of repeat guests back again, and I'm not surprised. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone. Definitely worth a visit and well situated for sightseeing.

1  Thank tenaciousimp
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This hotel gave fantastic value.
It is about 30mins from Galway easy route with little traffic, this half hour commute gave me a large quiet room, comfortable bed, reasonably good free wifi, a well equipped leisure centre and a decent breakfast all for less than half the price of equivalent hotels in Galway City.
The building is fantastic, the woodwork and stained glass work around the lobby, staircase and bar are amazing.
The food in the attached bar was excellent and superb value, the menu descriptions do not do do the dishes they serve up justice. My only gripe is that some of the dishes come on pieces of slate or planks of wood instead of plates, one of my pet hates in eateries, soon remedied and returned on a plate. The breakfast is a fresh, cooked to order set up, the offerings I had were very good. The room was spotless, a little dated for some tastes perhaps but everything worked. There is an over bath shower in the spacious bathroom with a fixed head, I prefer one on a hose personally but it worked, was powerful and hot, well worth using if you are the Galway area and, like me, prefer quieter, out of city hotels.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank andyfatnbald
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We recently had a fundraising event in Gort and had one of our staff who was in a wheelchair. We could not find anywhere to put him up. Brian the manager of The Lady Gregory kindly offered us a room and we were so delighted. The staff were very kind and also gave us the use of a wheelchair ramp. This was a huge help. We'd highly recommend staying here and we are grateful to John and his Staff. Oh and thank you for the great raffle prize! Vince Walsh.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank NualaMc2014
Reviewed 19 July 2014

This hotel is more than we could have asked for. It's spacious, both bedroom and bathroom and has great amenities (pool, gym, sauna, steam room). We booked online the morning of and still found reasonable prices its the prettiest building in the area and if you are staying in Gort, I highly recommend it!

1  Thank joanna1221
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I stayed here as part of a group tour for 2 nights, and it was by far the best place we stayed. The room was spacious, clean, and the bathroom was so lovely I could have slept on the floor!

Front desk staff are the loveliest I've ever encountered, quite pleased to talk about local attractions or just have another roll of toilet paper delivered to the room.

The food is DIVINE. I wish I had 2 stomachs, and that's just in terms of supper. In addition, continental breakfast included a platter of smoked cheese and bacon. I've eaten a lot of continental breakfasts in my travels, and unfortunately for my future continental breakfasts, all will be compared to this one!

The town of Gort itself is lovely too, a nice area to go for a stroll (you'll need one after supper especially). I would absolutely stay here again.

Room Tip: It's worth asking for a view of the mountains.