“Chose this restaurant!”

Ranked #7 of 45 Restaurants in Howth
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The West Pier in Howth is scattered with a range of fish shops and restaurants. The Oar House Restaurant is nestled in amongst this stretch of seafood extravagance.The Oar House serves the freshest of fresh fish, simply and sympathetically cooked in our open plan kitchen. In addition to our menu, each day our specials are based on the catch that day, giving our customers the opportunity to sample seafood as it should be.We are open from lunchtime seven days a week until late and look forward to seeing you soon.
Reviewed 2 June 2014

During our short stay from a cruising ship visiting Dublin we arrived in Howth by taxi ,and found all the restaurants full for Sunday lunch.
But they made an effort and fixed a table after 30 minutes. And it was worth waiting for.
The food was excellent and the service Ok. We all had different courses, all from the sea. The oysters was delicious, so was also the buffalo prawns. And when the bill arrived it was modest.
I can gladly recommend this restaurant with its ambiance.
A week earlier I visit the last restaurant out on the pier, and I rank the Oar house higher.

2  Thank HerrSvensson
Write a ReviewReviews (1,043)

Reviewed 1 June 2014

This is a medium sized restaurant on the pier in Howth harbour. The fish dishes are superb with great variety on the menu and additional specials every day. The tables are a bit tight together although this adds atmoshere when the place is busy (which it nearly always is). Staff are pleasant and service is efficient. It is on the expensive side but the quality of the food makes it worthwhile.

1  Thank Michael M
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The Oar House, Howth just has to be one of our most favourite dining spots in the whole world, and we have been to many in our time. My wife and I have been going to this fine iconic fish restaurant for more years than we care to remember. When you think that we travel all the way from Bray to Howth to get here either by car or DART and given the fact that it takes us an hour or more to get there and an other hour or so to get back will show some measure of our commitment to this iconic restaurant. It won the all-Ireland Georgina Campbell Best Fish Restaurant Award last year. It was an award that we thought was really well deserved.

I am particularly partial to Dublin Bay Prawns (langoustine) and it seems that for some reason that this is one of the very few places that serves this delicacy in all its simplicity. AND the staff here certainly know how to prepare and cook this and other shellfish. On that note, joining Anne-Marie and Ian in the kitchen is head chef Laurent Creusevaut who came here recently from the Unicorn in Dublin. With a name like that he is not Irish but you are indeed most welcome Laurent!

Today my wife had the fillet of salmon as she is allergic to shell-fish and I had my fill of the prawns, first as a cocktail and then in the form of lightly battered scampi. All first class I have to say.

The only problem we have encountered in our years coming here is that the quality of the chips has varied occasionally from under to over-cooked to being perfectly crisp. Today they were very good chips of exactly the right size and consistency and were very appetising and matched the other ingredients well.
And the service is exemplary. It is friendly and very efficient. Over the years we have got to know the members of staff, both kitchen and serving very well and are on first-name friendly terms with them all. They are like family to us I have to say and we are always made feel so very welcome.
A piece of advice: it is always advisable to book ahead as it is always very busy because of its reputation and because of the many recommendations in the various tourist guides. On one occasion a couple we got talking to from the US had come straight from Dublin Airport for lunch just because their taxi driver recommended it.

The staff are all well trained and those who serve at table have quite a number of European languages between them, all very useful given the well-travelled clientele. A few of the regulars are in the elderly bracket and I have observed the lots of extra time and space is provided for their comfort. That is why they (we) keep on coming back.

If you are in the area and like cooking your own fish, then go next door to Dorans Fish Shop, owned by the same company. It is one of the few places that one can get genuine smoked and un-dyed cod and haddock…. try it sometime. It is very different from the dyed brightly-coloured supermarket variety.

Now here is a puzzling thing. Before setting down to write these comments, I had a casual look on the TripAdvisor site to see what others were commenting on and was quite surprised by the highly negative comments in a small number of the reviews. Now it is very peculiar that some of these had in common a mention of rudeness and the imposition of a service charge, neither of which I would associate with this restaurant. Service charge is added for groups of six or more which is common practice in the trade, but not otherwise. Also, I have never ever observed any trace of rudeness from any member of staff in all my time coming here. I think that somehow the writers might be confusing this with another establishment altogether.
In any case, if you are a fish person then for heaven’s sake what are you waiting for? Go, pay a visit: it certainly is worth it. But when you do, please don’t take our window seat as it is the only one facing the harbour! One final point, whatever possessed the local authorities to place a great big grey box between the restaurant and the lovely view of the harbour thus cutting of most of the view? Could they not have put it anywhere else?

1  Thank Gretry
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Hey I've eaten in your restaurant a few times and enjoyed it. Today I went with a friend from uk who paid. I'm a bit irritated tho because the lady who took his payment by credit card proceeded to select the 'pay in own currency' option incurring a predetermined exchange rate and 3.5% fx mark up. I challenged her and she advised elevon the payment facilitator did not give her the option. There is an issue with elevon or the processing. Either way this is dishonest and has left a sour taste in my mouth.

2  Thank Glasnevin_tourist
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We drove to Howth to be near to the Airport, enabling us to explore and we found The Oar House and we were delighted with the service and friendliness of this restaurant, along with the amazing food, this place comes highly recommended. We will return in the future.