I hold my hand up - I'm a hotel snob. I like my creature comforts. I book 4 or 5 star when possible. Deer Park Hotel is a 3 star - chosen because it suited a number of needs. My only wish was that it would be clean and quiet.
So lovely to be proven wrong for all the *right* reasons. This hotel is a gem! It looks and sounds empty but it was full to the rafters with guests. Whoever designed it was a genius - it doesn't take from its beautiful surrounds or stunning views. The bar, restaurant, function rooms are set on one side while the other side houses the rooms. Windows onto the swimming pool and gym are an added bonus as you can peek out to see if it is quiet!
The room? This was a fine sized room. It was a little dated but nevertheless, perfect. The king size bed was dressed with some of the best linen I'd encountered in years and the mattress made for a great night's rest. The room has a good sized desk to work off. And a fridge! Such a bonus. The weather was so hot - being able to have chilled water was such a treat.
One thing that really annoys me when I'm staying away is the red light when the TV is off. Being a poor sleeper, that light invariably wakes me up. This hotel has its TV in a cabinet which is wonderful for contrary people like myself and does not require me to wrap the TV in towels as I have done (many times!).
We ate in the bar and restaurant - both were nice and good value. Breakfast was acceptable but unfortunately, not the best we've sampled. It provided the bare minimum and nothing to distinguish itself.
This is a well organised hotel. There was an influx of teen students staying too. They were housed in one section, ate in a separate dinning room and used the pool at designated times. A little fore thinking meant we all had a pleasant stay.
Negatives? Alas, a few. In the bathroom, it feels like towels are rationed to the bare minimum. The toilet paper is decidedly cheap. Why scrimp on these when everything else is so correct?
The gym and pool areas are a great asset but need attention. The combined area all seemed very shabby. There was an absence of drinking water too often in the gym which cut workouts short. Most annoying, however, are the number of signs telling people what is not allowed. I have never seen so much negativity in the one place and the sheer number of signs when you enter the facility, feels like you are being screamed at. It is so unnecessary. Some people will act up while the others act appropriately - that's life. Reduce the number of signs before someone loses it and rips them all down for you!
The real high point has to be the staff. They are a superb bunch of professionals. Every one was so pleasant, efficient and made the stay very special.
This is a hotel which hits the mark in so many levels. I highly recommend it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Deer Park Hotel is situated in the grounds of Howth Castle and surrounded by its own golf courses and yet only 9 miles from Dublin City Centre and Airport. Facilites include swimming pool with sauna and steam room and 2 all weather tennis courts. All rooms have bathroom, shower, TV and tea/coffee making facilities. Our Four Earls Restaurant offers an excellent menu including fresh fish from nearby Howth Harbour. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Ebookers and Travel Republic (UK) so you can book your Deer Park Hotel Golf & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Deer Park Hotel Golf Howth
- Deer Park Hotel Golf And Spa
- Deer Park Hotel Course
- Deer Park Howth
- Deer Park Hotel Golf & Spa Howth, Ireland - County Dublin