“RUN DOWN HOTEL BUT EXCELLENT VALUE FOR GOLFERS AND WALKERS”

Deer Park Hotel Golf & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Howth
Oslo, Norway
“RUN DOWN HOTEL BUT EXCELLENT VALUE FOR GOLFERS AND WALKERS”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This is an excellent hotel for golfers and walkers.
It is situated in the park of Howth Castle.You drive through this lovely wooden alley and pass the castle which now is a school for cooking !
At the top of the lane you drive between 2 of the hotels 3 golf courses !
The hotel lies beatifully situated at the top but on arrival it definitely does not live up to your expectations or its own website!
Even though some rooms have been modernized the place looks run down .
Rooms are big and most gave an excellent view of the lovely parkland golfcourse and down to the sea.
The hill behind the hotel boast one of the largest rhododendron vegetation in Ireland !
The golfcourses are beautiful -and not too difficult. A Mekka for anybody
with a handicap of 18+
Greenfee is reasonable and so is hire of golfclubs, bags and trolleys.
(Not the best-but adequate)
It is better to hire this at the airport!-which is only 12km away.
Apart from the 3 courses there are many "fancy" and expensive golfcourses
within a 10 minute drive(like Port Marnock etc which are hosts for
international golf events)
It is also a walkers paradise - just stroll around or up the hill and
beyond.
Many Dubliners spend their days off on a walk at HOWTH HEAD or around
the pretty Howth Bay with all its nice small restaurants.(like King Citric)
Forget that the hotel is run down and use your saved money on golf and nice
reataurants.

(If perfect it would be a 5 star hotel with cost of at least double the price)
They even provide a free bus-shuttle ro Howth Bay and THE DART/TRAIN
that takes you straight into Dublin Centre.

No need for a taxi unless very late

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
8 Thank holidayknut

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Newry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I was very disappointed with this hotel, paid 90Euros per night in this shackle of a place. It looks lovely on the website but different in real life. We asked to move on the first night because we had a very run down room and didnt have any wifi and only had two tv channels, we were told that there were no available rooms, but this was a lie. The next morning we showered and noticed stains on our towels, my boyfriend dropped money onto the floor and when he picked it up he noticed long hairs all over the carpet, which clearly hadn't been hoovered. We didn't want to start the day on a negatiive note and so thought it would be cleaned that day so we left to go into the city and when we returned after 9pm that night our room was still sitting dirty and we hadn't been given any fresh towels. We complained to reception again and this time they moved us to a more modern room that did have wifi yet only still had two tv channels. The next morning at breakfast I asked one of the waiters for a fried egg instead of the scrambled eggs as I seen other guests had fried eggs, after this I got up to get some condiments and overheard a waitress telling my waiter to lie and say that the chef had gone home and that fried eggs weren't available, however I did get a fried egg about 15minutes later but at that stage my toast was cold. On checking out I said that our stay wasn't very pleasent and I didn't get any discount/voucher or apology from the staff. Don't go here.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
19 Thank Claire R

Travellers are raving about these Howth hotels

Reviewed 27 October 2013

With our godchild (3 1/2 year), our niece (1 1/2 year), and their parents, my wife and I spent 4 wonderful days in Dublin.
Because of the children, we didn’t want to stay in the city centre and so I stumbled upon this hotel. And I must say we could not have chosen better. I cannot understand the bad reviews. It is a good 3 star hotel and it is in a wonderful location. Right outside the hotel door starts a short hike up to a hill. From there, the view is even more beautiful than directly from the hotel.
From the beginning to the end, from our rooms (we had a double and a lovely family room) to the breakfast to our dinner in the bar, everything was perfect. And the staff in the breakfast room and in the bar were wonderful, especially with the children. There is also an indoor pool where you can spend a few hours with children in bad weather conditions.

I would specially like to mention the practical on-demand hotel bus to Howth. And there are some very good restaurants. Furthermore, from Howth there is a pleasantly diverting trip to the city centre by the Dart.
All in all, I can really recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank HJP_17
Chertsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

The hotel is in a lovely location with fantastic views, but the hotel is slightly jaded and the rooms were very basic, it needs a decorating refurb and modernisation (with refrigerators and safes in each room). The pool, spa and gym were all available and appeared to be in good condition. The restaurant was very limited in the choice of menu, however the hotel offers a shuttle bus to the Howarth fishing port where there are numerous good restaurants to choose from with fresh produce and I would recommend doing that. The walk to the fishing port is also not too bad and probably good for you. The breakfast was good with a wide choice. Parking was adequate although some of the bikers leaving early were a bit noisy. It is a mecca for golfers with a choice of courses. The staff were lovely apart from the house keeper who was not very accommodating and rather abrasive. Yes I would stay again, but I hope that they upgrade and wish them well for the future.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Alan M
Perth
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I stayed here two nights and was very impressed with its location, the shuttle bus and bus drivers, the breakfasts, oh so good!!! black pudding, white pudding, tasted so amazing to an ex Irish resident. The pool is very sweet, not huge but enough to do a few laps in and relax in the spa part. Fantastic views, great staff and amazing walks right there for the taking. Really is a great place, comfy warm and everything you need.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank tidjy11
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 20 October 2013

As I write this - I am sitting in a very quiet lounge - watching dusk descend on Dublin.
(Not watching the sunset - must be facing wrong way !) ....

What a glorious place !! Set in gorgeous grounds, lots of lovely walks, and Howth Harbour is just a really lovely 15 minute stroll. But if it is raining .. they even have a courtesy bus !!! how good is that !!

The pool is seriously one of the most gorgeous pools I have ever swam in - atmospheric even !

It is the end of the season - and I got a really good rate ...... for the people that are mentioning 'needs an update' - yes - it could probably do with an update - but that all costs money - and if it was all pristine and gorgeous - it would be a 5 star - with the accompanying price !

I'll take a bit of worn carpet - to be able to enjoy these facitlies, views and location - at this price !

Unfortunately, obviously not enough business to warrant opening over winter - so they are closing from end of October until May (but have some renovated rooms with self catering for monthly lets over winter, for working people). Pool, gym and golf course are open over winter.

An absolute gem - so glad I found it - one of my highlights of Ireland - lovely place !!!

Clean, comfortable, warm rooms, with small fridge & fast wifi, sensational views, great walks, friendly staff.

If fresh paint and new carpet makes your holiday - go book at the Hilton .....
but I know where I am coming back to next year !!

Room Tip: If you like to swim - ask for one down near the pool - on either Level 1 or 2 - that way - you can g...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Droitwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Hotel is set in the extensive grounds of Howth Castle, which is off the drive on the approach to the hotel. Food and price of same was reasonable, with good service from helpful staff.
Indoor swimming pool is excellent.
The hotel is located well for the centre of Howth, which has boasts a fine yacht club, marina, and harbour.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Howth
Portmarnock Hotel and Golf Links
#3 of 151 in Dublin
White Sands Hotel
White Sands Hotel
#2 of 2 in Portmarnock

Been to Deer Park Hotel Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!