Free cancellation until 21/07
Free cancellation until 28/07
US$232
US$167
Savings alert! 28% below average rates

The price you found is 28% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$231/night.

White Sands Hotel(Portmarnock)
US$151
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
Savings alert! 21% below average rates

The price you found is 21% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$192/night.

Free cancellation until 26/07
US$111
All reviewstrain stationhighly recommend this b bbed and breakfasthowth castleother gueststriple roomquiet locationbreakfast was deliciouspleasant staynext morningshort walktwo nightsseanirelandpubs
Reviewed 17 October 2014

Staying at Gleann-na-Smol with Sean (Valley of the songbird) is like staying with your crazy uncle. He's totally fun & helpful in his own crazy way and he also has some great stories and will treat you like family, but the house and rooms could use some updating and cleaning.

There are not a lot of options in Howth (pronounced Hoath) as far as B&B's go, but Gleann-na-Smol will work if you don't set your expectations too high or you love the 'crazy uncle atmosphere'. At only 35 Euro per person, it's not expensive. The pier and cliffside hiking trails are just a short walk away, but give yourself plenty of time if you want to walk the whole route.

There are only a few spots for vehicles, but most folks that stay here use the train to get into Dublin so few guests drive. We did not have any trouble with space. The downstairs rooms are nice because they're somewhat out of the way and you have a side door for entry/exit directly off the driveway.

I've stayed in more unkempt places, so this was no trouble for me, but the wife was a little apprehensive. Breakfast is delicious and very large, you won't leave hungry. Sean, the host, is by far the best part of the experience and his hospitality is right up there with what you would expect from any Irish B&B.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Potatogod
Reviewed 9 September 2014

This B&B is expensive and very bad value.
It is not clean and there are bad odours throughout the house. The shower tray didn't drain, the furniture is thread bare and stained, the towels are beyond old. The sausages were barely cooked and the eggs were swimming in grease - I could go on!
The only positive I could see was that Sean, the owner seems to be a very welcoming and chatty person but he does not appear to have what it takes to run a house fit for receiving guests and frankly personal grooming didn't appear to be very high on his agenda either.
Howth itself seems to be a very nice location with great views, walks and food but there appears to be a chronic lack of good accommodation nearby so don't expect it to be easy to find alternatives locally.
Sorry to leave such a negative review but unless reviewers are prepared to call it like it is, they are just doing a disservice to other travellers.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Ian N
Reviewed 31 August 2014

Four of us (My wife, my son and my sister) stayed here for two nights while we attended a wedding. The host (Sean) was extremely welcoming and kind. Breakfast was fulsome, and Sean even gave us a lift to a nearby station when we left.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Dylanesque1959
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Sean is fantastic. He is a lovely, kind, chatty, helpful person and I really enjoyed getting to know him. I feel bad that I can't give his B&B a glowing review because he is such a great person.

The room, however, was very disappointing, especially given the price. There was dust with spiders living in it in the corners of the room. The duvet had aged yellow stains. The sheets were thin and worn. The mattress springs no longer had any structural integrity, meaning you sank down then rolled to the middle. The towels were old and one had a fresh brown stain on it (Sean did replace it and said something about women using spray tan the week before. I'm not sure what spray tan stains look like, but I definitely thought it looked like something else).

I stayed in 2 hotels and 3 B&Bs during my trip to Ireland. Given the price charged it did not at all measure up to other accommodation I stayed in.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 July 2014

This is a beautiful location (wild paradise) along Howth Harbour and Seán will probably come and pick you up if you're nearby! Awesome B&B, call Seán 01-832 2936. We stayed for 3 nights and it was a dream come true! Thank you Ireland!

Room Tip: 6 different rooms to choose from!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family