“Pricey but good”

Ranked #19 of 45 Restaurants in Howth
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Established in 1971, Aidan and Joan MacManus have earned an international reputation for fresh seafood in their harbour-side restaurant in the picturesque fishing village of Howth. In 1999, they extensively rebuilt their old Harbour Master's house, relocating the restaurant to the first floor with panoramic seaviews, and adding eight guest bedrooms. All the bedrooms are named after Lighthouses and have sea-views. Fresh fish landed daily on Howth Pier, oysters and mussels from the west, lobster caught by our own fishermen in Balscadden Bay are among our specialities. Enjoy a pre-dinner drink in our East Cafe Bar while choosing your wine from our outstanding Wine List. National Hospitality Awards Seafood Restaurant of the year 2014. We are situated in the golfing heartland of North County Dublin and for sailors Howth Marina is three minutes walk. Enjoy a gentle stroll on the Pier before breakfast or a more energetic hike on the unspoilt Cliff Path and the trails of Howth Head. For business, shopping or sightseeing, Dublin City is only 25 minutes by Dart. Dublin Airport 25 minutes.
Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

Fab view. Amazing but dear wine list. Expensive food but par for the course really. You don't expect fish n chips for ten euros!!
Service was good. Not intrusive. Portions small but that's expected. Nouvelle cuisine eh ! Recommended overall.

There are newer reviews for King Sitric Restaurant

Reviewed 5 August 2013

we booked a dinner in advance for 3 persons for 7pm, but that was proven unnecessary as restaurant was not very busy, we were not even asked whether we have a reservation.
We sat by the window however I would not bother with the window specifically as view from the window is not great (one sees part of the pier and public toilets across the street).

The service was very fast and not very formal. Seafood was very fresh and tasty. I had oysters for starters and turbot with risotto as a main - fish was very tender and tasty. We also had a bottle of house white (as it said on a bottle, this particular wine is supplied to king sitric for past 40 years) which was very good.

Check came out at about EUR 50 per person.

It was not my first visit to King Sitric and I will never hesitate to go there again.

Reviewed 14 July 2013

Made a booking for this restaurant on Friday 12 July for Sunday 14 July for 6pm. The man who took my call asked me to change the booking to fifteen minutes earlier, with which I had no problem. Arrived at the appointed time. Door was locked. A young waitress came to the door and cracked it open about 6 inches. She said there had been a mix up and we couldn't be accommodated because the restaurant closes at five on Sunday. I asked why we hadn't been contacted and she said they didn't have our telephone number? In my recollection I had given the number but regardless, the mistake was their's.

So, we were left on a sunny Sunday evening in Howth with no restaurant booking. Tried, but couldn't get in anywhere else. A ruined evening. My question, why was a young waitress sent down to the door to deal with us? Where was the manager or the maitre d'? The mistake was completely on their part, yet I was made to feel of no consequence.

This is the second time we have been badly treated by this restaurant. Previously, to celebrate a wedding anniversary, we made a booking here for 8pm. By 8.45pm we still hadn't been shown to our table. The excuse given, again by a junior waitress, was that the occupants of our table were overstaying their booking. In fact, several parties had arrived after us and had been shown to tables. At 9pm we left. Anniversary dinner spoiled. We did receive a letter of apology a week later from the restaurant but too late for our celebration.

We are locals in Howth and so it is for that reason that we felt a second chance should be given. Everyone makes mistakes and it is only fair to give a second chance. That is why we decided to make this last booking. How wrong could we have been? Nothing had changed. Once again we were treated badly and once again an evening was ruined.

I understand that restaurants have opening hours and that these dictate bookings. I have no problem with that. But why was our booking taken in the first place if it was outside the normal hours? Also, why were we treated with such disrespect at the door of the restaurant when we arrived for our meal? Cracking a door open and telling people to go away is completely lacking in civility and courtesy. NEVER AGAIN. Second chances have been given and failed.

7  Thank DeborahB543
Reviewed 3 June 2013

We dined here recently and the only positive I can offer is the view. The staff (apart from the young girl who seated us) were condescending, the service was extremely slow and our table had herb crumbs left on it by previous guests that the waiters had not bothered to clear. The food was awful. The brown bread was nasty, the white bread was stale and our amuse bouche was a smoothie !!! The wine, (a Pouilly Fume at 61 euro) had a nasty flowery bouquet. I ordered the crab mornay for starters (although the waiter did try to deter me from this). I received a bowl of melted cheese with a few flakes of crab floating in it that I ate with a spoon as it was pure liquid and the crab consisted of little flakes strewn within the soup. If you like cheese soup you might enjoy this, however I was expecting crab with melted cheese on top and this was not it !!!! My partner's squid was just short of sour and very unappetising. I ordered the sole for a main course. I asked for my meuniere sauce on the side and I was told that this was unnecessary as the sole would be flash grilled with just a tiny bit of sauce. Two members of our party both received overcooked sole improperly prepped, with grey tinges on the edges and literally swimming in sauce. My main course left me with such an unpleasant sensation of butter all over my mouth that I could hardly wait to get home to brush the fat away. Another member of our group ordered prawns (37 euro) and received a small bowl of tiny little prawns, each about a centimetre in diameter, again swimming in butter. The vegetables were also overcooked, inappropriate for what we ordered and again, swimming in butter. We skipped dessert, we had had enough - it would probably have given us heart attacks anyway !!!! Our bill for 2 starters, 3 mains, a bottle of wine and water came to over 200 euro and I feel positively cheated. We do not dine out often and when we do, we expect value for money, courtesy, service and good food even if it comes with a price. In the King Citric, favouritism is alive and well. The hype is wrong, the service is appalling, the food is overcooked, improperly prepped and drowning in butter and the value is nil. Unfortunately, here is nothing positive I can say about this restaurant - and I will leave it at that !!!!!

6  Thank vlane
Reviewed 30 May 2013

King Sitric is in a beautiful location at Howth pier. The seafood was excellent - great choice and fresh. The waiter showed great flexibility and recommended mixed dishes which were great. The Maitre D was superb - knowledgeable and helpful. The wine was excellent too. However the waiter could do with a little cultural awareness training - small things can mean a lot. All in all an excellent evening - I will be back. Ask for a table on the first floor near the window - great views.

1  Thank Beahive