Railway Lodge Country House
US$113
Hotels.com
US$128
Currarevagh House(Oughterard)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Staying at the Railway Lodge is a wonderful way to experience Ireland. The house is situated off a country lane, which leads to other country lanes where you may find ponies and dog walkers and lovely country homes. We took the riverside path to town for dinner, crossing a cascading waterfall past the village church and a stone bridge built two centuries ago and still used for highway traffic. We received a fine welcome and a nice dinner at Breatnach's Bar, then returned 'home' to a comfortable bed in a beautifully decorated room. Carmel has exquisite taste, manifest not only in the decor of the house, but also in the lovely breakfast service -- several kinds of cereal tastefully displayed, with local breads and jams, plus eggs cooked the way you like them with streaky bacon, mushrooms, and tomatoes as required by tradition. Two cats watched us through the windows of the breakfast room which has beautiful views of the garden and fields beyond. Tourism advice was on offer and very helpful. This is a great base for visits to Galway City and the Connemara.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank DansMarin
Reviewed 10 October 2012

I must admit that I have become more than a bit leery of the whole B&B idea after one too many stays in what feels like the daughter's bedroom out of which she has recently been shifted. But a stay at the Railway Lodge has cured me, and I'll set forth hoping to find someplace as nice as this charming establishment. But finding one as good as the Railway Lodge will be difficult.
The lodge is lovingly, and handsomely, decorated with large bedrooms, and almost as large ensuite bathrooms. Everywhere there is the touch of a great hostess, from the illustrated books about the area resting on the beside table, the glasses left out by the fire for us when we returned late from town in case we might want a wee drop (we did, we did) to the local Irish pottery used to serve what is without a doubt the best breakfast we have ever had in Ireland. As well as the most sumptuous: we had to plead for half portions after the first one. I cannot understand the comment about a lack of conversation as we all found Carmel great good company, ready to provide assistance and bit of the talk, and equally able to step aside and leave us alone to read books, pot of tea at hand, as the rain lashed the windows of the sun room. Connemara is among my favorite places on the planet, and the Railway Lodge is now firmly one of my favorite places to stay. Use this as a base camp while you ferry out the Aran Islands, visit Lough Corrib by steamer, go fishing, see Kylemore Abbey or just tour about this place of wild beauty. Short of the high priced lodges, there is nothing around that compares to it.

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank rosiesgirl
Reviewed 2 October 2012

If you like beautiful antiques and impeccably clean bed linens, then you will like the Railway Lodge B & B. Set at the back of a quiet lane this charming farmhouse has all the amenities one needs for a goodnights stay. Our host and hostess were so kind to us, we felt like one of the family. Our bedroom was so spacious, with great views, comfortable beds and a huge bathroom. The glassed-in breakfast room, where we were served so beautifully every morning, was our favorite room in the house. Breakfast was wonderful, especially the fresh baked blueberry scones! This B & B was the best place we stayed in our month in Ireland. We hated to leave and hope to return again someday. Thank you Carmel and Joe!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank William L
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Our family spent a week in this lovely B&B. Carmel & Joe were very nice. Very cosy rooms, fantastic breakfasts. One of our kid who usually gets up earlier than us, used to go down to meet Carmel in the kitchen, got yummy breakfast from Carmel before the family breakfast!
Well situated to visit Connemara.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank laure b
Reviewed 18 August 2012

I loved the Railway Lodge. The rooms and bath were large and the beds soooo comfy. My son particularly loved the pillows. I enjoyed the fact that the place was cleaned up every day. Breakfast was enough to keep me until dinner..all fresh, homemade and delicious. The garden was beautiful and peaceful. I liked that it was close enough to walk into town but was removed enough to feel completely private. Oughterard itself was not what I expected, but the B&B was great and was a good jumping off point to Connemara. The only critique I would have is that I expected a bit more social interaction between owner and guest at a B&B, but that might only be an American thing. It would have been nice to sit and chat more about the area and local attractions. But otherwise..I would highly recommend this place to others.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family